The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - King's Quest Review - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: xzKKR
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:08 on November 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There are a few more screenshots up now, I just made a spelling error last night and called them kg instead of kq, that is why they didn't turn up. So you can see even more highly intelligent scenes now :cunning:

I'm always trying to capture the 'essence' of a game with these screenshots. My first action after the intro was to try out the controls. First step: walking. Clicked somewhere on the screen and in the very next moment, I had fallen into the water and was being eaten! And it continued in that style, so yes, I am convinced the screenshots do capture the essence of the game.

I had actually wanted to finish the game when I started last night. I had taken a walkthrough and vouched to use it whenever I'm stuck. From looking at the text, I knew the game would not be long. But I still didn't manage! After the scene with the dragon, I wanted to leave the cave again, so I walked right. A psychedelic screen showing something completely unrecognizable turned up. In the solution, it said I should 'leave by going up'. Tried that, and after five minutes of walking pixel by pixel (a lot of invisible barriers on that screen), I couldn't move at all anymore - not even back! Gave up and I doubt I'll ever touch this crap again :angry:

I wrote this review because it seems bashing popular games is the only way to get some sort of reaction. It worked with Lotus, and seeing this thread as well as the 'user comment' after the review, it does work again :D

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:25 on November, 01st 2002
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:43 on November 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Is it my impression, or did Mr Creosote really hate his character in the game? All the screenshots are a little on the violent side ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 05:09 on November 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
it really does capturew the feel of every sierra adventure/die all the time game :P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 22:23 on October 31st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I have to applaud this excellent review of King's Quest. It captures the esscene of the whole King Quest series, especially the screenshots. You made my day with this one Mr Creosote!

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice