The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Definitions - ROM and Abandonware - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: jnT9s
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:01 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Of course I don't know about your experiences, but I can hardly imagine you found an easier way to run DOS games than choosing 'run' from a menu and then double click on the game name (as it is with most emulators). If you did, please enlighten me ;)

I really appreciate your effort, the more people try to spread the word about old games, the more places people can get information, the better! It just would have been great to see one or two pictures along with the article.

As for someone else doing it, I certainly wouldn't have been the right person for this. As I mentioned in another thread (new members?), the only boxing game I really played for longer than five minutes was this one:
That was fun, but later, I really preferred wrestling games ;) Reading something about a (to me) lesser known genre only makes it more interesting though :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:45 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hey, how do you know MY experiences? :)

Well - there weren't others guides as this in existance, to the best of my knowledge. I'm certainly no Ray Robinson with computers, but I wanted to spread the word on ABware gaming, and I encourage people to experiment.

Retrospectively, perhaps one of you guys would have been interested in doing the piece?
Posted at 12:08 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I've sticked to the most common PC versions as much as possible because I've found that they are by far the easiest to get to work on modern computers.
Erm.... exactly the opposite is true. Exactly the topic of my last editorial ;) Oh, and the Gamingdepot is (thankfully) dead - has been for well over a year.
-----
Posted at 11:33 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Well, here it is:
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w1102-kn.html

Again, thanks for your help.
Kristian

[Edit: parsed URL -Mr Creosote]

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:04 on December, 02nd 2002
Posted at 10:31 on November 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thanks, people. I'll let you know when the article's out. If I forget, check http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/cyber.htm
in about two weeks. Click on "November WAIL!" and find the article.
Posted at 05:13 on November 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
all abandoned software
Was that too subtle? ;)
-----
Posted at 03:33 on November 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This is all of course true if the rom isn't the latest version of Gran Turismo 3 for PS2... Just saying :bemused:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 02:06 on November 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Welcome back :) Abandonware includes all abandoned software, no matter for which system it was made and no matter by what means you're running it today. So if you include disk images and ROMs, it fits.
-----
Posted at 17:03 on November 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hi there,
If you have excellent memory, you'll remember a guy who posted as "Flair" about two years ago. That's me.

On to my question. I'm putting together a list of the best boxing abandonware games. On this list, I want to include a couple of ROMs. Are ROMs considered abandonware ? I don't see why they shouldn't be, but you never know...