The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The most stupid law ever? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: T6F!Z
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:52 on January 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by The Mole at 19:28 on January, 7th 2003:

Geez, sounds like they had a real blast there combining different stupid laws to make a new one... What's next? You can't eat peanuts while you're having a bath with an elk?

I propose that you can't eat peanuts in a bath with a donkey, whilst traveling in a plane looking down on elks and the plane must have hay in the boot
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 11:28 on January 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Geez, sounds like they had a real blast there combining different stupid laws to make a new one... What's next? You can't eat peanuts while you're having a bath with an elk?
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 11:25 on January 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I forgot where this was a law...I think in Louisiana. Anyway, the law was that you can't take a donkey into a bathtub: this law has been broken twice.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 10:08 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The English! They will attack! Attack Iraq, at that.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 05:19 on January 4th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
In the constitution of the usa it is anchored that EVERYBODY is allowed to own a weapon for the purpose to defense and protect themselve...
Oh, come on - how would they defend themselves against the English King otherwise?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 19:22 on January 3rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Another:

In Virgin/Utah you are forced by law to own a weapon.

And the absolut most silly:

In the constitution of the usa it is anchored that EVERYBODY is allowed to own a weapon for the purpose to defense and protect themselve...
Posted at 04:35 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Mole: Marihuana is treated just like you described here in Germany. Everything related to it (even owning it for private use) is illegal, but if it's only a really small amount (so that they believe it's only for your personal use), it is not prosecuted. Makes sense... :doubt:
-----
Posted at 01:06 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
That one reminds me of a proposition that was made here last year, but still isn't a law; certain people suggested 'tolerating' the use of marihuana for those over 18. But this would mean it would be illegal to sell it, illegal to own it in large quantities (more than a few grams), and illegal to buy it in Belgium, and driving up to Holland for it would be considered smuggling...

So the only thing that would become legal is using it in a private place, but really, who's going to come and arrest you when you're smoking it inside your house? A typical example of how (belgian) politicians waste valuable time, and cause controversy instead of doing something useful for a change...
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 00:55 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Here's a good one from Australia:

It's illegal to supply alcohol to anyone under 18. Makes sense...

...but if a minor finds a full bottle of beer (for example), it's NOT illegal for that minor to consume it as long as it's in a private place.

Well, where else would you sneak some booze? Straight in the middle of a pub?

Stupid question, my mum did that.
Posted at 05:22 on December 29th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That is what I'm saying: second hand info isn't enough to really judge something.
-----
Posted at 22:24 on December 28th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 13:44 on December, 26th 2002:

Has any of you ever been to any place outside Australia / New Zealand? No? Then, how can you judge that? :P

Why would you think I've never been out of Australia? And I also get second hand info
-----
Welcome to the Real World
Posted at 14:01 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Yossi Schneier at 10:58 on December, 26th 2002:

Tuss you obviously have no clues coz Australia (and especially good ol' melbourne) is the best place in the world too live for sure...
And sterge10, where have you ever heard those laws?!?

Trust me they are laws I read them on some government website :P
As I said about them in my original post OUTDATED laws ones the polies never got around to getting rid off. Laws that still exist but that noone in their right mind would think of enforcing.
-----
Posted at 10:08 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can certainly say that living in the US is much better than Canada! ;)

Tuss
-----
Posted at 05:44 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
And Tuss better living here than say America

Quote:
Tuss you obviously have no clues coz Australia (and especially good ol' melbourne) is the best place in the world too live for sure...
Has any of you ever been to any place outside Australia / New Zealand? No? Then, how can you judge that? :P
-----
Posted at 02:58 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
And sterge10, where have you ever heard those laws?!?
-----
Posted at 16:00 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Yossi Schneier at 14:15 on December, 25th 2002:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by sterge10
Here are some outdated ones from good ol Aus

All hotels and inns must feed and water your horse for free ( I wanna try that one day)

and all taxis must carry a bale of hay in the boot
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where in Aus do you come from? Out in the sticks obviously. But don't give people bad ideas about our good ol' country: City folk like me don't have such problems.

No i'm from Melbourne which is the best CITY in this country :P Just because I mentioned horses dosen't mean i'm from the bush.

And Tuss better living here than say America :P

Oh and i'm going away for a week see you all in a week
-----
Posted at 10:09 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Where in Aus do you come from? Out in the sticks obviously. But don't give people bad ideas about our good ol' country:

Why is what sterge said bad? And who said Australia was good to begin with? :evil:

Tuss
-----
Posted at 06:15 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Creo
In Israel, men called Cohen are not allowed to marry divorced women (is that something religious???).

Indeed it is - and it isn't israeli law but jewish law. A Cohen is the Jewish/Hebrew term for a Jewish Priest, a holy man of G-d and hence... well im sure you get the picture.

Posted by sterge10
Here are some outdated ones from good ol Aus

All hotels and inns must feed and water your horse for free ( I wanna try that one day)

and all taxis must carry a bale of hay in the boot

Where in Aus do you come from? Out in the sticks obviously. But don't give people bad ideas about our good ol' country: City folk like me don't have such problems.

Furthermore:
Criminals announcing their crimes: Just to add insult to injury when giving punishment "you didn't announce your crime - thats 10 extra years."
Elk looking: To keep pilots minds on their course
I agree with netdanzrs groups, but the main group for all the non-westernised countries sterge10 brought is religious reasons - maybe we can't relate to their culture, but such a necessity of laws for them exists.
It is similar to the American Constitution: Some guys years ago thought to impose their views on society based on their principals on future generations. Hence now people in America have to follow the laws set out by their ancestors who had a different value system to the ones they did. For example, imagine 100 years ago someone had made constitutional law regarding fashion and modesty, based on current fashions - long sleeves, long skirts, etc. Todays fashions would all be completely illegal. Now, THEN it seemed the right thing to do, but nobody nowadays would agree with it!!! To follow such a system takes a belief that those who made the law know better than those who live nowadays. This is the basis of religion: A faith that, although something (eg the Cohen thing) may not seem to apply nowadays, he or those who made it (or in the case of the Jewish religion G-d) are more intelligent and know better than I.
-----
Posted at 09:06 on December 4th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, ok, I see what kind of people the ones who passed these laws were now :P
-----
Posted at 06:45 on December 4th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
And if it's a temperate climate, water provides the perfect environment for all sorts of germs and bacteria to develop. Let's face it: bathing is evil and should be avoided at all costs. :D
-----
C'est pas la chute qu'importe -- c'est l'atterrissage