The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Thief - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: euTgV
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 22:54 on January 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
and, I'm not sure if this is much help, but yesterday in Game Stop I saw a Thief/Thief 2 bundle for $20........too bad I bought Halo instead.....
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 10:35 on December 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Glad to know this game still entails a little logic... :bemused:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 07:48 on December 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
and how are you supposed to take this thing out?

They have a red opening at the back. When it is touched by water, the robots are damaged - probably it is supposed to destroy the inner "engine" or something. You can also kill them with fire arrows, but those are very rare usually...
Posted at 14:19 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Probably shooting into this light blue 'eye' ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:16 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
and how are you supposed to take this thing out? with holy water and hope their circuits are fried?
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 13:34 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
hehe - that is a Mech with a weird texture, nothing else ;) Really silly!
-----
Posted at 13:02 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Retired Gumby
The robots in Thief aren't exactly on the highest standard thinkable today, but they're much more developed than anything else in the game's world. Automatic movement spotting, hearing sounds, aiming, shooting (rockets/bombs) and speaking (!), all with a heavily armored body. As I said, the contrast to any other equipment in the game, including the human guards, shows a gap that is too huge too fit (see attachment). After all, they implemented this "mechanical" feature here a little bit, too - that prevents that they look "perfect" at least.

I completely agree with your opinion about Indy 4. It's the best example of a game in which technology has been transfered to another age without being too ridiculous.
Attachment: *****
Posted at 12:28 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I can't say anything about this particular game, but it certainly doesn't go along too well with the premise insinuated by the title.

In general, I agree with Eagle - it can fit very well if done right! Fantasy General is a good example: the robots there look really crude, 'mechanical' (as opposed to electrical) and are generally really huge. It fits. Another positive one would be Indy 4 (I am aware this is not medieval, but you get the point): the stone robots in Atlantis are great! They seem to belong there naturally.

On the other hand, if I walked through a medieval town in a game and suddenly a full-blown Battle Mech would turn up, it would be awful, because this kind of robots (i.e. on the highest thinkable standard of technology, even futuristic) just doesn't belong there!

So it all depends on how well the robots are fit into the setting...
-----
Posted at 12:18 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
The point is, if technology is developped enough in that particular world, it's easy to mix it with magic

That's exactly the point I mean. Technology apparently has developed in Thief 2. The robots are supposed to be a genious invention of some madman (call it magic if you want). Buildings have changed, and to a certain degree, the setting altogether has changed (it's still "ancient" though). However, you seem to be the only one who has been excluded from this development. Suddenly, one of these high-tech robots comes stomping around the corner and shoots rockets at you, and you're still standing there with your sword and bow, which are obviously evertything else than high-tech. ;)
Posted at 11:57 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Robots fits in a medieval setting in worls like Final Fantasy. The point is, if technology is developped enough in that particular world, it's easy to mix it with magic to achieve what we can do today, and even more.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 11:55 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It obviously was a rather cheap model when the computer was new already, but who cares? No one of us was/is an explicit fan of many games that depend on the power of the graphic card. At least I made it up to Level 6 in spite of the bad conditions. ;)

By the way, anyone here who played Thief 2? I finished it about a month ago, and although it's still a good game, I was slightly disappointed by the enemies. Okay, the entire game is fiction, but do robots really fit when you're in a medieval surrounding? :confused:
Posted at 11:44 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
ATI Rage IIc. This wasn't the only game which made problems with this card, remember Train Simulator? It didn't run on that computer, but it did on my (older) one...
-----
Posted at 11:41 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Pada1: What Graphical Card do you have Tapuak?

Now, I've got a Geforce III, but at that time? Uh, I think it was some old ATI Rage model (Mr Creosote?). Most likely it really depends on the RAM and the graphics card most. Like I said, it was playable, but later I noticed it was a major difference when playing it with my new PC... ;)
Posted at 07:27 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Quote:
I remember trying the demo on a 200 with 32 MB and a 12 MB Voodoo 2, and it was barely playable

Yes, because of your low RAM it was so slow. A Voodoo 2 Accelerator is absolute enought to play it quick and good looking at the same time.
Posted at 06:57 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Pada1: I'm guessing that was because of your memory, 128 MB is quite a lot for a Pentium 200... I remember trying the demo on a 200 with 32 MB and a 12 MB Voodoo 2, and it was barely playable.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 06:17 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
What Graphical Card do you have Tapuak? 'Cause I playes thief on a 200Mhz/128RAM and didn't experience any problems at all... My card at the tme was a simple voodoo2 if I recall correctly...
-----
Posted at 05:37 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It's a good decision not to buy it for a P 200. I played Thief 1 with a 400 Mhz/64 MB RAM, which had problems to display the graphics properly. However, it was playable at least. :o
Posted at 04:28 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Unfortunately I am not the owner of the game and thus the fan missions will not work :P
I was going to buy a theif game the other day, but didn't because I don't know how my pentium 200 will handle it and I'm trying to save to go away for new years. Maybe next year ;)
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 03:40 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Computerspiele für Senioren

Yes, this games is surely suitable for senior citizens... Unfortunately no one older than 60 years has ever played it. ;)

Anyway, sterge, if you already own the game, I highly recommend the fan missions:
http://thief1.math.uh.edu/thief/missions
http://www.thief-thecircle.com
http://www.3dactionplanet.com/thief/
Posted at 19:10 on December 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Yeah I was going to say, i'm thinking it isn't the German on.,
Thanks for the sites

Edit: most of the looking glass studio sites are dead links, but thanks for the help anyway guys ;)

Edited by sterge10 at 03:14 on December, 16th 2002
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.