The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - A Fake Identity Amongst Us! - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: PUZWb
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:11 on December 30th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Posted at 14:45 on December 24th, 2002 by fretz
aaaahhh, somebody else who shares our pain. Being quite remote I imagine you dont get much in the way of illegal imported stuff either?

No, nothing illegal, maybe some Cuban Cigars every so often, if you want illegal Pot is everywhere, the town I live in (Motueka) is known as the Drug Capital of New Zealand, you can walk up to 5 random guys on the main street, and at least one will have some Pot that can lend you or sell you.

I used to smoke when I was younger, but then they started telling kids smoking wasn't cool so most of my mates stopped, and so luckily I bailed out too before we got seriously addicted.

How did I know the price? At the moment I'm working full time as a supervisor at a supermarket here, I can't get an IT job in a fishing village, and want to be with my parents for the X-Mas holidays.
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 17:57 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I doubt any government would want that. Where would they get all their money from then?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:12 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I think it might be a plan to prevent smokers from actually smoking :P
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 06:56 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
governments plan to stop all smokers
From taking over the world?
-----
Posted at 06:45 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
aaaahhh, somebody else who shares our pain. Being quite remote I imagine you dont get much in the way of illegal imported stuff either?
Posted at 04:43 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I don't know exact prices for all of them, but 50grams of Port Royal are NZ$23.50 (£7.63, ?11.80).

I know we have some of the highest tax on tobacco, plus we have laws that state we can't grow tobacco anymore, this used to be a multi-million dollar industry for us, then we went to apples *sighs lightly and not so convincingly*

This of course is the governments plan to stop all smokers (finally) so they don't have to pay huge amounts on cancer treatment, of course with the baby boomers coming of age, we are all paying for it badly still :(
-----
Posted at 22:12 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Geez, all this talk of low cost tobacco from the continent makes me glad that illegal sources are plentiful in England :)

It only costs 12Euro/£7 if you buy it legitimately from a shop, i actually pay about 5 Euro for 40gram.

D'ya know, after the data from our 2001 Census was brought together it became apparant that 1 million English people aged 18-30(thats 2% of total population) have left the country, largely due to things like taxable goods prices. Oh, and then there is the average cost of a home being 200,000 Euro, rising at 24% a year as well.

Masses of people every month are selling up and moving to the continent, mostly France. This is because you can sell your 1 bedroom flat in England, take the cash to France, buy a decent 3/4 bed property and have enough cash spare to retire comfartably.

Rip Of Britian!

Edited by fretz at 06:14 on December, 22nd 2002
Posted at 19:06 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Reasons why I've never ever smoked... or never will. Gives to much money to corporations and the government...

but hey, it's partially funding my education, so I can't complain that much! ;)

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 05:57 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You're of course right that everybody could quit, but for some strange reason, I only always hear people say "if this happens, I'll quit" and then when this actually does happen, they say "yeah, now, if that happens, I'll quit". And so on and so on. Something has to stand before the quitting, call it addiction or call it laziness - whatever.
-----
Posted at 05:52 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Mr Creosote: Sure I'm addicted, and the point you make is one I always think of when they raise the price again...

Tapuak: The reason I didn't turn to rolling or self-made filters full-time is probably because I'm addicted to whatever chemical cocktail Philip Morris throws into their filter cigarettes. :worried:

I can see myself quit 'cold turkey' at some point though (Pada1's example of a pregnant wife is an excellent reason why one could do that purely on willpower, without further assistance), but of course I can't be a 100% sure until that actually happens...

Time to quit the wishful thinking now. ;)

[Edit: The lamest typo ever]

Edited by The Mole at 14:15 on December, 21st 2002
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 05:47 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
because many don't have the choice to quit
nah, quitting might be hard but it isn't impossible so you always have a choice and I know that if they ever charge more then 5 euro for a pack of 25 (I smoke a different brand then the mole), I'll quit... Same goes should I happen to find myself married one day with a pregnant wive... Those are my two deadlines but should the need arise, I'll quit before that...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 04:55 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by The Mole at 12:37 on December, 21st 2002:

I always say I'll quit when they get to 5 Euro for a pack of 20 filter cigarettes, but by then I'll probably reconsider, knowing that you pay 12 for just the tobacco. ;)
And you'd probably also reconsider because you're addicted then - that's what the 'great' thing about the tobacco industry: they can always count on their paying customers, because many don't have the choice to quit ;)
-----
Posted at 04:47 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I always say I'll quit when they get to 5 Euro for a pack of 20 filter cigarettes

They price of a pack is 3 Euros here. I've always wondered who can afford that price anyway... :doubt: If there weren't tobacco packs that are less than half of the price, I would surely have quit smoking.
Posted at 04:37 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
fretz: 12 Euro? That's quite a difference indeed, and I'll admit the only way you can run out of tobacco here is being flat broke, which we were/are.

I always say I'll quit when they get to 5 Euro for a pack of 20 filter cigarettes, but by then I'll probably reconsider, knowing that you pay 12 for just the tobacco. ;)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 04:36 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Belgian tobacco - 3Euro
British tobacco - 12Euro

The price doesn't depend on the currency but on the taxes for tobacco. In Germany the taxes are relatively low, too: A cheap 40 gram package is 2,40 Euros, the average price is about 3 Euros. When I was in England, I was rather shocked about the prices, too.

Edited by Tapuak at 12:37 on December, 21st 2002
Posted at 04:10 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Well, I will say I haven't seen Pada1 on ICQ for the past week, so I trust that his HDD did indeed pack a wobbly.
-----
Posted at 02:59 on December 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
While I cant comment on the thread topic, and I apologise in advance for this being blatently off topic, but I just cant sit back and believe that someone from Belgium can run out of cigarettes.

I live 500 miles away and all my tobacco comes from Belgium because its so cheap! You guys should have holdalls full of the stuff, all English people do when they leave your country.

Belgian tobacco - 3Euro
British tobacco - 12Euro

..and they thought a single currency would work...:doubt::doubt:
Posted at 02:37 on December 20th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by sterge10 at 05:44 on December, 20th 2002:

This thread has gone way tooo far, get over it MR. C :P, i'm sure your having fun but I don't think anyone else is.
You know, this is the cheapest post I've ever seen.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 10:38 on December, 20th 2002
-----
Posted at 21:44 on December 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This thread has gone way tooo far, get over it MR. C :P, i'm sure your having fun but I don't think anyone else is.
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 10:03 on December 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Truth is relative - depends on the point of view. If you are two people and come over here to prove it, I'll buy you a package of cigarettes - how does that sound ;)
-----