The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Joe Strummer dead - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ao9RY
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 03:31 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Pada1: ...and those kids don't know that those remixes of those madonna-songs are originally by madonna...

Sure, that's true. However, I meant young people whose favourite music style is punk rock (and similar styles). I thought they should know him at least.
As for pop music, there's no such thing as a uniform history, no real "roots" the songs are based on anyway. Therefore I can forgive the bastards who don't know the original version of a song... ;)
Posted at 15:31 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss at 23:13 on December, 24th 2002:

Well, nothing last forever, I guess.
Not forever, but only fifty years? That was a very short life :(
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:13 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, I liked The Clash very much and I really liked a lot of what Joe Strummer did later as well. Easily one of my favorite musicians. Well, nothing last forever, I guess.

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 04:16 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I' afraid the situation is much worse then you realise Tapuak... A friend of mine is a teacher in junior high school (closest translation I can think of but hey I'm just out of bed so it'll have to do :P) and those kids don't know that those remixes of those madonna-songs are originally by madonna... they actually believe that the remix is the original version... Kids today... :(

Edited by Pada1 at 01:13 on December, 24th 2002
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 03:07 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The real sad thing for music is that he is hardly known by many younger people who listen to punk rock, although he was one of "veterans", and after his dead this development will continue even faster. They heard the name "The Clash", but that's it. Most likely they think punk has started with Offspring. :(
Posted at 14:46 on December 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The album I was referring to is by "Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros". They released another album not so long ago, I don't have it though (yet).

Quote:
(although you're one of those people who don't watch television, if I remember correctly)
That's not true, I do watch television when there are interesting movies on. Never watch any music channels though, and I guess that is what you're referring to.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 01:03 on December, 23rd 2002
-----
Posted at 08:47 on December 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
It's a tough time for punk veterans lately; first two of the Ramones and now this... I'm not really a Clash fan, and I don't know any of his other work (I assume it's a solo-album you're referring to?) but I like what they stood for, not like these fake punk bands you hear on the radio and see on television everyday nowadays (although you're one of those people who don't watch television, if I remember correctly).
Quote:
"The Clash had huge record sales, but had signed a deal with their record company that denied them huge profits. They wore this as a badge of pride, claiming it ensured they still kept to their punk ideals."
Respect! :cunning:

Edited by The Mole at 17:48 on December, 23rd 2002
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 07:25 on December 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
A very influential and one of my personally favourite musicians died yesterday because of a heart attack. His second-to-last album (Rock Art and the X-Ray Style) was one of the best releases of the past decades. He will be missed :(

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2600669.stm

Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:26 on December, 23rd 2002
-----