The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Alone In The Dark (1992) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: Pks8a
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 13:37 on April 16th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
There is an open source of this game which improves rendering resolution (640x480)

https://github.com/jmimu/FITD/releases
Posted at 21:45 on March 24th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
I started replaying this one today. More then twenty years after finishing it sometime in the early Nineties.

While the overall atmosphere strangely still holds up for me, and while the controls are nowhere near as horrible as I thought they would be, there is one thing that outright kills the game for me: The grunts and groans of the protagonists.

Oh boy, I have not laughed so hard in a loooong time! It is incredible how stupid they sound when they get hit. Especially Edward Carnby sounds very weird: Unconvincing and lame, yet with a very special note of 'passion'. :D

As for Emily Hartwood… well how shall I put it: There is a certain chance that someone will pass me by while I am playing the game and I do not want them to get the wrong impression of what kind of game I am actually playing. :P

Come to think of it this might be the first time I am playing this game with a sound blaster, so I might never have heard those great digitized sound effects.

For fairness sake it should be mentioned that the voice actors (at least those of the German version) which read the texts do an outstanding job which makes up for a lot and sets me in just the right mood… until I get hit again.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 06:36 on July 22nd, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Let's also not forget the shrieking music when a monster would suddenly appear. Excellent use of audio adapting dynamically to the situation!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:37 on July 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
On top of that most encounters took a bit more than endlessly bashing the monsters (or at least it took bashing them with certain items), and some of them were outright invincible.

What helped the tension a lot in my case was, that it was the very first horror game I played. I will never forget that horrible attic and that strange demon creature flying outside the window… and then crahsing right through it an killing me. :P
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 05:46 on July 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I think one of the things which made this work so well for me is that it doesn't fall into the typical trap of just throwing an endless stream of monsters at you. Instead, the encounters are carefully planned, making them all the more tense.
-----
Posted at 03:17 on July 21st, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Definitely one of the best survival horrors. And the 1st game is actually better than other 2 (discounting the 4th which i never really played).
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 15:06 on March 19th, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
oldies - are goldies!
Recommend 9/10 this game
Posted at 15:00 on December 13th, 2000 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Screw all of you who think this is "like Resident Evil", Resident Evil is like this game. In fact, it ripped AitD off in a lot of ways. I remember playing this game when I was 7 or 8...and it screwed me up for life. I played it again a few years later and was still creeped out. I love this game. If it still worked on my computer, I'd be playing it on a regular basis. Long live Edward Carnby.
Posted at 13:00 on December 13th, 2000 | Quote | Edit | Delete
An excellent game. One of my favorite games of all time, I highly recommend this. There are tons of copies on eBay so check it out.
Posted at 12:00 on December 13th, 2000 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Alone In The Dark (1992) here!
-----