The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - 3D Realms dies - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: tvygg
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:52 on November 18th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Some basic searching reveals active content for them on boards and downloads.

http://legacy.3drealms.com/
https://boards.3drealms.com/

This old thread need not have been revived. Obviously I now also fail albeit to be somewhat more constructive.
Posted at 16:15 on September 10th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I think 3D Realms seems not to be died.

A few of 3D Realms (Apogee) games is still sold.

I remember that I bought many of Apogee/3D Relams games during 1995-1996 by FAX order.
Posted at 17:03 on May 25th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
However, one that fully depends on the original company's existence as licensor (?) of their name.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 05:44 on May 25th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Realms
Quote:
While the company is known as "3D Realms", the legal name of the company is Apogee Software, Ltd.. The name "3D Realms" was initially created as a branding label in July 1994 for use by Apogee which would be dedicated to just 3D games (as Apogee was then known for several styles of games). However, shortly after this, 3D games started to dominate the industry, and Apogee decided to direct its focus on this style of game; as such, "Apogee" was abandoned as a trade name in late 1996.[3] In July 2008, however, it announced that the brand Apogee Software would be revived with new games, but licensed to an external company, Apogee Software, LLC[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apogee_Software
Quote:
In July 2008, 3D Realms announced they would revive the Apogee Games brand to develop and publish new games, as well as help distribute older Apogee titles. The Apogee name, logo and library were licensed to a new company, Apogee Software, LLC., separate of 3D Realms. The new Apogee soon signed a deal with Deep Silver to co-publish a trio of Duke Nukem games for the Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable called Duke Nukem Trilogy. The company also released several Apogee and 3D Realms titles on the digital distribution platform Good Old Games.

Bottom line: While the original apogee company & 3drealms were the same company, the company currently known as apogee is a different one entirely.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
-----
Edited by Cypherswipe at 05:48 on May 25th, 2009
Posted at 16:53 on May 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Tuss at 03:02 on May 19th, 2009:
Then the co-founder of 3DRealms has announced that 3DRealms is not shut down, they simply fired their Duke Nukem Forever team (i.e. everyone on staff except 3 of the management)

...however, they are a software company (aren't they?) - so how do they plan to get anything released with only 'management' (i.e. useless and non-productive) people?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:54 on May 19th, 2009
Posted at 10:28 on May 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
All this Duke Nukem Forever thing always sounded like a joke. They seem stuck on past glories, and Duke Nukem 3D wasn't that great (I preffer Blood, and the first trully good shooter was Half-Life).
Posted at 03:02 on May 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Update on this is Take Two, their publisher, is suing them for all the money they've gave them to produce the game.

Then the co-founder of 3DRealms has announced that 3DRealms is not shut down, they simply fired their Duke Nukem Forever team (i.e. everyone on staff except 3 of the management) and has said they will continue to release Duke Nukem games (Continue? They haven't released A game since like '96)
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 10:08 on May 9th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The weird thing is that apparently 3D Realms closes, but not Apogee. I suppose it's just they fire the people working under that name.
Posted at 20:59 on May 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
The official "on paper" name of our company is "Apogee Software, Ltd.". 3D Realms is a DBA of Apogee Software Ltd. (as is Pinball Wizards).

Source: http://www.3drealms.com/tech/otherapogee.html

"DBA" means Doing Business As - so 3D Realms was indeed only an alias. Which means that in fact, it was Apogee which died - and that is bas news!
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 21:01 on May 8th, 2009
Posted at 17:57 on May 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Didn't 3D Realms buy Apogee? I can't relate them to anything else than Duke Nukem 3D.

Yes, now the page seems to work. I wonder if they'll keep it or remove it, one never knows with these things.

Ironically, it seems that even thought 3D Realms closes their Duke Nukem Forever, that has been mentioned for I don't know how many years and still isn't finished, will still be under "development".
Posted at 16:41 on May 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
"3D Realms" was just another name of Apogee, wasn't it? And the "3D Realms" site seems to be working for me right now.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:42 on May 8th, 2009
Posted at 09:28 on May 8th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
And so does their webpage with all they had. Apogee games, patches, extras... I don't see a good reason for them not keeping all these things somewhere. Apogee relaunched a webpage, but without anything of all that content.