The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Comics - MotU magazine (1986) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: qQKUL
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 18:52 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
...and the New Adventures plus all of the non-English comic books as well as their English translations.

Anyway - the comics section is there and it can be extended at any time. Anyone who wants to add stuff is just one private message to me away from having his account set up. Versions to read online are added just as easily (after all, some are already there - something else I just stopped when nobody seemed to care). Someone just needs to do it. Unfortunately, I'm not able to save the whole world all on my own.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:25 on August 17th, 2009
Posted at 17:45 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, they have the dc ones, the minis, the star/marvel ones, and the image ones. The only things I don't see there are the uk mag & the princess of power ones. (I don't count the ladybird/golden book/etc ones as comics, since they're books.)

I can see why you'd be irked about them taking your scans without giving credit. Still, you could grab other people's scans and put them on your site (giving proper credit of course, unlike certain sites...).

btw, It looks like he-man.org took down the comics. The only comics page I could find on their came up 404.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 15:09 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Nearly all? Maybe 50% of what we have here, and even that is only a fraction of what exists on the whole.

Yet another good example of why I simply don't carry on with this: Sites like that one are simply taking the scans I've made, put them on their own site and don't even give credit (you can recognize those are my scans from characteristic creases and damaged spots)! I don't mind taking, but at least acknowledging the time I've put into scanning all those issues certainly should be worth at least a simple standard credit line?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:10 on August 17th, 2009
Posted at 13:10 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
On a related note, htmlcomics.com seems to have nearly all the heman comics available to read online. The site leaves a lot to be desired, but they do have a shitload of comics for easy reading.
-----
Posted at 11:57 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Nowadays, you could describe it as a hen and egg problem, yes. Nothing happens, so nobody does anything. However, this used to be different. I was working on that part like mad, at the same time asking for help to expand the section. (Useful) reaction was zero. A few guys pointed me to other sites which had scans (ok, that was at least a bit useful), another guy told me about a torrent and when I downloaded it, it turned out that torrent consisted 99% of my own scans. This went on for several years. Active years as far as I was concerned.

So, as you doubtlessly remember, I just gave up at some point, because nobody wanted to lend a hand.

The other point is promotion. Yes, I'm aware there might be a problem there. Many sites are linking directly to the subdirectory, which makes sense, because it basically is an independent site. If you have any suggestions to promote that part of the site better (or how to find helpers), go ahead.

Interesting sidenote: He-Man.org is now offering quite a few comic scans as well. Some even taken from this site (with my explicit permission, don't worry). Ironic, considering how I was shouted down and insulted at that site for years for offering comic scans. "You're destroying the scene" was one of the nicer statements ;)
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:59 on August 17th, 2009
Posted at 09:44 on August 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Heman/MotU scans are hard to find, especially the old comics. (The newer ones, based on the remake show are available in a lof of torrents & the like, but I rarely encounter the 80s ones anywhere but here. ...and I'm reasonably certain that most of the 80s ones I've seen in torrents were your scans, that someone harvested & torrented.)

I think reasons why the comics page here doesn't see much action are:
1) People think of this as only being a software site, not as a site which also offers some comics.
2) The comics page really isn't promoted at all. There's a link to it in the categories dropdown menu, but that's it. Nothing else. It's difficult to find even when you KNOW it's there, and even more difficult to stumble onto if you don't.
3) Most people who are aware of the page already have all the comics (or at least all the ones they want).
4) There haven't been any new additions or changes to the comics page in a long time, so those who do know about it probably stopped checking it.
-----
Posted at 18:26 on August 16th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Same problem here, too, though. Occasionally, there are people offering new scans (rarely, but it happens), but nobody ever volunteered to write a single synopsis or anything like that.
-----
Posted at 18:04 on August 16th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, nowadays there are lots of comics pages (or at least download pages, because information ones are much more scarce). It's saturated.
Posted at 10:20 on August 16th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Those scans look very good! Not sure whether I will put them on the site, though. Interest seems to be close to zero these days, unfortunately.
-----
Posted at 21:11 on August 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Hey MC, there's a torrent with 10 issues of the MotU uk magazine from 1986: http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2033410/3852149/ The torrent includes issues 6-11, 15-17, and 19. Since you don't have any of those on the site yet, I figured you might be interested.
-----
-----
Edited by Cypherswipe at 23:27 on August 15th, 2009