The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - My new gaming system is a joystick - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: EFL65
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:03 on April 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
How it's called? Umm..... the box says "TV Games - Video Game System - Atari" (replace the dashes by line breaks). It's never actually spelled out anywhere though...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 16:55 on April 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Did I miss the proper name of this joystick? I would like to look into the prospect of getting one of these, but it would be easier if I had the name...

Grah! I cannot wait! :)
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 04:12 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
You... I would hope :D
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 00:40 on April 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Maybe "Mr Creosote" is actually "Mrs Creosote".
Maybe, maybe not - who knows? :P

Edited by Mr Creosote at 09:40 on April, 15th 2003
-----
Posted at 22:17 on April 14th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss at 05:01 on April, 15th 2003:

Hunh. I thought only women had this happen with random X deactivation. I guess I don't know everything.

Maybe "Mr Creosote" is actually "Mrs Creosote". :p
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 20:01 on April 14th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
with my right eye seeing very 'rich' colours and my left eye interpreting the same shade way more 'washed out'

Hunh. I thought only women had this happen with random X deactivation. I guess I don't know everything.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 18:52 on April 14th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Aha! Now we know why you dislike a color as wonderful as blue! ;)
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 07:16 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Let's not forget colours are subjective. I have to deal with this every day, with my right eye seeing very 'rich' colours and my left eye interpreting the same shade way more 'washed out'. I doubt many people experience this, but two people discussing one colour will certainly not have the same image of it...
-----
Posted at 07:11 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I set my television set to be 'washed out', by this I mean high brightness and low contrast, for the simple reason of realism: skin is supposed to be pale, not bright orange or something... I can't stand to see 'glowing' people on TV. :)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 05:44 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Ah, that makes more sense then. (Although I have seen a few people that really do prefer more washed out colors for some unknown reason.)
-----
Posted at 05:17 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Then you haven't seen a TV card with a slight defect which makes everything look too dark ;) I have these settings to balance this problem out, not because I want 'washed out' colours.
-----
Posted at 04:24 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can't imagine voluntarily watching TV like that. I have the contrast and the color level set very high, and the brightness adjusted in such a way that the high contrast levels don't obscure details. In short, I like to watch TV with very intense color.
-----
Posted at 03:27 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I see the color in those screencaps is pretty washed out, is that because of the compression setting you used, or your tv card, or....?
That's the TV card. To watcb actual TV, I have set it to high brightness and low contrast and I was too lazy to adjust these settings for the screenshots.

Quote:
C'mon now Creo, I remember that my old Atari and even my ColecoVision had better graphics than that... -_-
Good for you. Too bad for you I couldn't care less.
-----
Posted at 00:29 on April 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I just dled yars and played it again.
All your little bullets can do is knock down the walls around the enemy fortress (which is normally sort of triangle shaped, and only changes to the star when it's about to attack you). Once you clear enough room, you have to go and touch the enemy base but only when it's in it's harmless triangle shape. At that point you'll see a multicolored square appear behind you. The next time you hit the fire button that square will launch itself. If it hits you, you're dead. If it hits the enemy base, you win the round.
-----
Posted at 23:27 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Hehe, I'm sorry, you're right: upon closer inspection it also looks like some kind of star or galaxy... But when I first viewed the screenshot I could have sworn it's a swastika!
-----
Posted at 22:49 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, a star is the closest thing to it's shape, although i suppose you could call it a whorl or an asterix.
-----
Posted at 22:37 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
The goal is to destroy that star shaped thing in the middle of the fortress.
That doesn't exactly look like a 'star' to me. :D
-----
Posted at 22:31 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
C'mon now Creo, I remember that my old Atari and even my ColecoVision had better graphics than that... -_-
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 17:54 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
My brother has one of those 15-games-in-one controllers that looks like a modern controller, but it doesn't have classic games. They're all generic.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 15:47 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
And finally: Yar's Revenge (I have yet to figure this game out...)

I have that one on my atari 2600. The goal is to detroy that star shaped thing in the middle of the fortress. That multicolored field in the middle is a safe zone, you can't get hit by enemy bullets while sitting there, but the star itself can still hit you, and the bullets can ambush you when you come out.

btw There's another version of this "many games built into a controller" that is shaped like a modern controller, and looks about the size of an n64 or gamecube controller. (If I could just remember the name of the damned thing....)

I see the color in those screencaps is pretty washed out, is that because of the compression setting you used, or your tv card, or....?
-----