The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Happy Birthday! - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 1lyNI
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 19:13 on September 27th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Alright then, let's go full circle for post #1000 and return to the very first one: Most of the things I said more than 8 years ago are still true, and even though I am not that super active anymore, with some rather large gaps of inactivity now and then, I like those returns and seeing that the site is still here.

So, in a way coming here has become nostalgic in itself with the name ringing very true (although I am a firm believer by now, that there is no time like the present, but that's a different story), and I don't want to beat a dead horse but in times where small and independent home-pages are becoming more and more unique, it is extra great to have this place. :)

Anyways: Now that I know the ins and outs of the site even better, I just want to say an extra large THANK YOU! to Mr. Creosote. Thanks for the immense effort, thanks for keeping the spirit alive, thanks for being so open about contributions and thanks for giving us the opportunity to share our thoughts about… well, the good old days. ;)

Thanks also to the vagabonding Moebius, for sharing a (to me) unusual view of 80-90s software scene, and lifting some of the burden on Creosotes shoulders. Thanks too to Wandrell, the RPG section seems a bit neglected since your withdrawal.

Well, and thanks to all those reviewers of course, who keep this from turning into 1-3 man show. Even if some of you might do it only to get the 50 points for the disk images, the majority still offer interesting insights into all those wonderfully nostalgic games.

M. over and out!
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 22:15 on March 3rd, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
@ Johann67
OMG!
Oni, is that you??
Posted at 20:20 on February 27th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Right back at ya, dregen ;)

Happy bday TGOD!
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 13:02 on February 27th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Guten Tag, Herr M.!

Thanks for all the praise. You probably can't imagine how good it feels to hear something like this from time to time. It's easy to get disillusioned in the long phases in between.

So please continue to visit, enjoy what's there and if you ever feel like joining in in some way (well, technically, you already have now), all the better!

Quote:
it was nice to read some story from Johann67

Yes, I was actually surprised that I could still reach some of the 'old gang'. Well, I got hold of you, too, didn't I? ;) On the other hand, a few major former contributors are unfortunately absent from the list. People like Adhoc, NetDanzr,... well, people are discarding e-mail addresses on a monthly basis these days.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:48 on February 27th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Well, I'm late, but a big thank you and happy birthday from me, too!

Oh, and it was nice to read some story from Johann67, again! :)
-----
Being fat is no illness, but ideology
Posted at 21:51 on February 26th, 2010 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
As someone (until now) remaining in the backround, silently enjoying the reviews (some quite entertaining, some surprisingly informative, quite a lot of them refreshingly earnest) and browsing through all the other stuff (like those nostalgic He-Man comics my parents always kept me from reading ;) ), I thought that the tenth brithday of The Good Old Days would be a welcome opportunity to follow through with a longtime intent and break the silence in order to shout a great big: THANK YOU!!

Since approximately 2001 I've been following this site and for good reasons too. The Good Old Days has a unique feel, probably because it centres more on the games themselves than on large download buttons, ratings for graphics, sound and gameplay. Most reviewers honestly write about their impressions, telling us about shortcomings, qualities and sometimes even some historic background. I really love this focus on information rather than on lots of downloads. Besides there are some really rare gems found here. Like those advertising games or even selfmade (nowadays homebrew) games. Plus: there are no ads (or my Pop-Up blocker is working exceedingly well) something not so naturally nowadays (especially for abandonware sites).

Well I hope I'm able to pull myself together and contribute some stuff like those translations I considered or reviews for some godawful nostalgic games I played recently...

Till then: Happy Birthday, Good Old Days! May thy bits forever be floating through the data ether!
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley