The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Payback (2001) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: s8dco
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 15:41 on May 12th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Cool, thanks for sharing :D
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:25 on May 12th, 2021 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Super necro of this I know, but just thought I'd point out for the benefit of others that from the screenshots it looks like it's the very original release of the game being played. Following the release, there were a number of updates released that fix a lot of issues, the last of which is Update 7, released in 2002 which contains all the previous updates rolled into one. Some of the fixes included the scaling of icons on large resolution screens, adjustments to the wanted scale, consequences and AI, better control options and so on.
Posted at 19:24 on January 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 18:53 on January 29th, 2013:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 12:40 on January 27th, 2013:
Selecting a high resolution automatically implies that they will become tiny. This has obviously not been thought through.

A very common problem with "high" resolutions back than (and sometimes even today). My guess is that they assumed something in the vein of "The few people who will be able to play this game at such resolutions will be blown away by the fine graphics anyway, they won't mind this small details..." ;)

To be fair, the game simply let's the user select any screen mode supported by the underlying operating system. Meaning that today, you could play it in something like 3200×2048 which obviously would have been completely illusionary at the time the game came out.
-----
Posted at 18:53 on January 29th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Well if it didn't run on an original Amiga I am astonished, that there was still some kind of development on the hardware front.

Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 12:40 on January 27th, 2013:
Selecting a high resolution automatically implies that they will become tiny. This has obviously not been thought through.

A very common problem with "high" resolutions back than (and sometimes even today). My guess is that they assumed something in the vein of "The few people who will be able to play this game at such resolutions will be blown away by the fine graphics anyway, they won't mind this small details..." ;)
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 12:40 on January 27th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
By the way, I made a couple of more screenshots on one of the higher resolutions. I'm especially proud of the one of jumping over another car :D

This should illustrate one problem with the free resolution selection: The standard visual elements like the city map, the weapon selection of the health bar don't scale. Selecting a high resolution automatically implies that they will become tiny. This has obviously not been thought through.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 12:41 on January 27th, 2013
Posted at 21:58 on January 26th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 21:38 on January 26th, 2013:
Well it might be because I am prejudiced, but I think for the Amiga the graphics look incredible, considering that most PC based games weren't that much better back in 2001. That is judging from the screenshots.

Keep in mind that this game will not really run on a classic Amiga as made in the times of Commodore. In theory, it will work on a A1200 with RAM expansion, but actually, even a regular A4000 will not run it smoothly. On a 68060, it will run well enough on the lowest resolution (as shown on the screenshots). A PPC accellerator with 200MHz or so and a dedicated graphics card is definitely recommended. Still not a lot of horsepower compared to contemporary IBM machines, but definitely not the same basic league as a typical A500 or so.

Originally posted by Herr M. at 21:38 on January 26th, 2013:
Also I can't imagine such obvious plagiarism be possible today. Has this actually been sold?

I've bought it, so… yes :)
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 21:59 on January 26th, 2013
Posted at 21:38 on January 26th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Well it might be because I am prejudiced, but I think for the Amiga the graphics look incredible, considering that most PC based games weren't that much better back in 2001. That is judging from the screenshots.

Also I can't imagine such obvious plagiarism be possible today. Has this actually been sold?
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 20:22 on January 26th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Payback (2001) here!
-----