The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - [Article] The Internationalisation of Gaming or: History being written by the Winners - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: TPezS
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 19:27 on February 20th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Those observations on the userbase of the different machines coincide fairly well with my memories: Back in the 80ies I had never seen a PC but a lot of Commodores. In the early 90ies I was one of very few kids in my class that had a PC at home, while almost all of the others had C64s and Amigas. With the advent of 486 and Pentium systems (mid to late nineties) I guess there was almost a PC monoculture.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 09:00 on February 16th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
From the perspective of someone living in Western Europe, the world seems very 'global'. At least if you don't really think about it, because what seems to be 'global' is just the North American hegemony in most areas of popular culture. Going to the cinema? You've got the choice between… various Hollywood movies. Using the Internet? Chances are you're visiting a US-based and operated website. Wait, that picture is interesting – while the example countries of Western Europe show a clear dominance of US websites, Russia and China are completely different. No sign of globalisation there. Without straying into the area of censorship, it seems the world is not nearly as homogenous as the European view might suggest. It is the same with movies: The largest movie producing community by far is located in India. Just that it's not as visible internationally. What the Russia/China/India of video gaming is, would be an interesting subject for another day. The question for this article is: When, how and why did Western Europe lose its independent gaming industry?

Read more…
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!