The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1998) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: @ach!
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:37 on September 14th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 21:29 on September 13th, 2013:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 07:33 on September 8th, 2013:
A football game whose goal it was to not let any ball pass. You had three possible positions to enter and multiple balls approaching at once on each 'lane'. So it was essentially the same game as the shaceship one, just that instead of avoiding the approaching objects, you had to catch them.

Did it have a yellow/black frame and could it play some songs (like Beethoven's 'Für Elise')? I think I had that one too!

The spaceship one had a yellow and black plastic case, the football one was blue and black, I think. The former played 'Für Elise', yes! Do you remember whether there was any shooting (from either side) involved?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 21:29 on September 13th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
A football game whose goal it was to not let any ball pass. You had three possible positions to enter and multiple balls approaching at once on each 'lane'. So it was essentially the same game as the shaceship one, just that instead of avoiding the approaching objects, you had to catch them.

Did it have a yellow/black frame and could it play some songs (like Beethoven's 'Für Elise')? I think I had that one too!

The funny thing was that I still played both quite extensively. Seems I was able to 'get into' the themes well enough to overlook the similarity in the gameplay :)

Actually I didn't notice those similarities in the gameplay until I wrote the review, and had a more 'ciritcal' look at all those games. But, as I wrote, normally they did a decent job of disguising them, so normally you wouldn't mind.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 07:33 on September 8th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The first two games of this type I owned were…

• A game where you controlled a space ship. You could jump between three positions (left, right, centre). It was sort of '3D'. On each 'lane' (…left, right, centre…), rocks and enemy ships would approach which you would have to avoid. I'm not quite sure whether any shooting was involved, either from the player's side of from the other ships.
  • A football game whose goal it was to not let any ball pass. You had three possible positions to enter and multiple balls approaching at once on each 'lane'. So it was essentially the same game as the shaceship one, just that instead of avoiding the approaching objects, you had to catch them.

The funny thing was that I still played both quite extensively. Seems I was able to 'get into' the themes well enough to overlook the similarity in the gameplay :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:54 on August 31st, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Game & Watch Gallery 2 (1998) here!
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley