The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Running Civ 1 /w Win98-XP - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 22qJ9
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:39 on June 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I love Civ, it is probably my favourite game of them all. Personally I don't see any need for the sound, I normally play it with the sound turned off anyway.
Posted at 15:23 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:
Posted by fretz at 22:51 on June, 22nd
Yes, most of the stuff creative have made there are dos drivers around for.

I have SoundMax Audio, so I'm out of luck there.
Anyway, this is one reason why I'm tired of meddling around with old games. I use to tinker my life away ... but no longer.
Posted at 14:51 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by A E I at 21:10 on June, 22nd 2003:

I'm surprised DOS drivers are supported for most modern sound cards, or do you just mean soundblaster brands?

Yes, most of the stuff creative have made there are dos drivers around for.

Edited by fretz at 22:56 on June, 22nd 2003
Posted at 13:21 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 18:37 on June, 22nd 2003:

A.E.I., I am not even concerned by your post, yet I can do little but to feel insulted. 90% of this board is 20 and up, what's the deal going insulting everyone?

Well, that's just it. I come here to post a message about my predictament and I'm told it's irrelevant. You've already expressed your apathy so it's a pretty futile situation isn't it?

Quote:

Frankly, I don't even understand why you are still juggling to get the sound on Civilization. It's an old game for God sake! There is no sound effects that add anything to the game. I know, I played that game for like 6 years. And I still prefer PC speakers over Sound Blaster.

That's an interesting taste you have there. Granted for this game it might not add much, but it's still preferable to me than nothing or having to put up with bleeps and blops (which I have to turn on BTW in order for the timing in
the game to work properly).

Quote:

Anyways, if you didn't knew yet Mr Creosote have an extremely insighful page about how to run old DOS games, and is available here.

OK, thanks.
Posted at 13:10 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:

You probably have DOS drivers for your sound card
though, right?

Yes, they are available for most modern and legacy soundblaster cards. My PC has an onboard Creative AudioPCI and it works a dream. The onboard sound uses IRQ 10.[/quote]

I'm surprised DOS drivers are supported for most modern sound cards, or do you just mean soundblaster brands?
Posted at 10:50 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by A E I at 13:11 on June, 22nd 2003:

Does your copy of Civ have an .exe program to enable you to change your IRQ?

No, If i needed to alter the interrupts then I would do that via the autoexec file, but there is no need.

Quote:

though, right?

Yes, they are available for most modern and legacy soundblaster cards. My PC has an onboard Creative AudioPCI and it works a dream. The onboard sound uses IRQ 10.
Posted at 10:37 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
A.E.I., I am not even concerned by your post, yet I can do little but to feel insulted. 90% of this board is 20 and up, what's the deal going insulting everyone?

Frankly, I don't even understand why you are still juggling to get the sound on Civilization. It's an old game for God sake! There is no sound effects that add anything to the game. I know, I played that game for like 6 years. And I still prefer PC speakers over Sound Blaster.

Anyways, if you didn't knew yet Mr Creosote have an extremely insighful page about how to run old DOS games, and is available here.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 05:11 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:

More or less yes, it may take a little tweaking here or there. Every Windows OS after 95 has come with a perfectly good DOS emulator. So good in fact it even emulates the bugs perfectly.

That's news to me. Maybe I should try DOSbox then.

Does your copy of Civ have an .exe program to enable you to change your IRQ? I was thinking that could be the problem, since mine is currently set at 5. If Civ doesn't automatically detect that could certainly be it.

Quote:

Gigabyte 7Z motherboard, AMD 800 Duron, 512MB ram, geforce 4mx 440, XP Pro.

though, right?
Posted at 05:04 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by A E I at 12:54 on June, 22nd 2003:

Quote:

If your two month old computer is running XP or 98 then it has little to do with the computer, because the computer is more than capable of doing what you want.

So you're saying that I should be able run Civ1 with full sound and everything just fine? I see.
Even though it was originally programmed for DOS, I'll take your word for it.

More or less yes, it may take a little tweaking here or there. Every Windows OS after 95 has come with a perfectly good DOS emulator. So good in fact it even emulates the bugs perfectly.

Quote:

And what sort of computer are you using Fretz?

Gigabyte 7Z motherboard, AMD 800 Duron, 512MB ram, geforce 4mx 440, XP Pro.
Posted at 04:54 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:

If your two month old computer is running XP or 98 then it has little to do with the computer, because the computer is more than capable of doing what you want.

So you're saying that I should be able run Civ1 with full sound and everything just fine? I see.
Even though it was originally programmed for DOS, I'll take your word for it.

And what sort of computer are you using Fretz?
Posted at 04:46 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
A E I - We're all teenagers here ... except me.

errr, I havent been a teenager since 1994.

Quote:
It has more to do with my two month old computer than my incompetancy

Posted at 04:24 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
What I mean is, since I've become accustomed to playing similar games of this genre with full sound, I'm not going to adjust well to running Civ1 without it. If you don't understand that, I don't know what to tell you. I guess the thing you don't understand is that not everyone is LIKE YOU.

Nobody is a broad brush to paint. I was visiting the Civilization Fanatics website earlier and it appears quite a few people have the same problem. It has more to do with my two month old computer than my incompetancy.

We're all teenagers here ... except me.
Posted at 04:14 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I own a Soundblaster AWE 64 ISA and all my games work with it. Simple as that. Now maybe you can enlighten me what the sound in MOO and MOM has to do with the sound in Civ?

If you can't manage to get something to work with which nobody else has a problem, you might consider another source of the error: one between the keyboard and the chair. Since you're apparantely just some impatient and arrogant teenager, I'll stop replying to anything you post. That includes this thread, for which I'd have a foolproof solution. Too bad for you. Maybe someday you'll learn insulting people who are trying to help you isn't the most genious thing.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 04:08 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote
The most irrelevant thing I've ever heard.

That's because you don't own a sound card, and probably never have.

Quote:

Ahem! There are 11 answers in this topic by other members than yourself. They contain many different suggestions how to fix that problem. Maybe you're just blind. Thanks for your niceness, or the lack thereof.

Yeah, but if I was a patient, you would have failed as a doctor because you aren't hearing (get it?) what it is I'm looking for.

p.s. 11?

Edited by A E I at 12:13 on June, 22nd 2003
Posted at 02:54 on June 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I've played Master of Orion and Master of Magic quite a bit with sound blaster support
The most irrelevant thing I've ever heard.

Quote:
Maybe you're deaf. But thanks for the suggestions or lack thereof.
Ahem! There are 11 answers in this topic by other members than yourself. They contain many different suggestions how to fix that problem. Maybe you're just blind. Thanks for your niceness, or the lack thereof.
-----
Posted at 17:41 on June 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
I've played Master of Orion and Master of Magic quite a bit with sound blaster support (on my old computer) and I'm not about to regress to PC speaker to play Civ1. I think I'm talking to the wrong people about this because it's no big
deal to most of you. You're wrong about the difference, I've loaded it up before. Maybe you're deaf. But thanks for the suggestions or lack thereof.

I don't think VDMsound supports Civ1 but I could be wrong.
Posted at 15:13 on June 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I dont have any trouble playing Civ 1 on XP Pro. I never had problems on 98 either.

If you can get it working without sound then take that as a blessing in disguise. I would. It annoys me having to make the effort to change the volume on my speakers every time I play that game.

Hey A E I, youve stolen my avatar! ;)

Edited by fretz at 23:17 on June, 21st 2003
Posted at 13:43 on June 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I played Civilization with the PC Speaker for years, and I find it more than adequate unless you have a very cheap speaker...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 13:22 on June 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Because it reminds me of the absolute idiocy of basically everyone these days &%"§/%$"$/&/)"!%% :angry:
-----
Posted at 13:08 on June 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
I had hoped I'd never have to read that acronym again
How come? I've never had any problems with it and am quite pleased with it as a result...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"