The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Browsers - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: iL6LK
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 14:34 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can disable all active-x in 2 clicks. First click on the download link for mozilla, then double click the install file once it's downloaded. Presto, no more active-x ^_^.

Actually though, it's not that the interface is poorly designed in IE, it's just that it's designed for a different purpose. If you want something that's user friendly it's a poor design, but if you want something that will give you control over 90% of the internet population without quite breaking any laws, it's a great design.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 06:30 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 19:14 on July, 23rd 2003:
- The interface/menu structure has been created by idiots.

Dont talk rubbish Taupak, it only takes 9 mouse clicks to completely disable all ActiveX components. Thats a well thought out interface if you ask me ;).
Posted at 09:35 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That once again confirms Internet Explorer does what it wants and not what the webmaster wants. Good to know it's 100% on par with Netscape 4.8, too, because this was, I can always test things myself ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:25 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Tapuak: Could you test it again now? I didn't do all the changes you made, but only removed two line breaks in the source code - that made it work with Netscape 4.8 which is usually very much the same as Internet Explorer in its interpretation.

Yes, it's working! Even better if the problem could be solved so easy. :)
Posted at 07:51 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, the new Beta sucks pretty badly. But upon close examination I saw that the "pink clouds" are actually some pentagrams. At 1024x768, they are just too damn small to see :P
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 03:30 on July 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Tapuak: Could you test it again now? I didn't do all the changes you made, but only removed two line breaks in the source code - that made it work with Netscape 4.8 which is usually very much the same as Internet Explorer in its interpretation.
-----
Posted at 21:21 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I apologize to NetDanzr for telling him he sucks :) He doesn't, Opera sucks for unproperly displaying the hand cursor.
Posted at 18:08 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, it's working, at least with Firebird 0.6, Opera 7 and IE 5.5. Now I'm waiting for the new issue. ;)
Posted at 12:50 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Dexterus: Since you've more or less admitted this 'thing' is part of the OS, we can drop it now.

Tapuak: Can't really try it, but I'm going to trust you ;)
-----
Posted at 12:29 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Retired Gumby
Mr Creosote: I think I fixed the IE shadow problem. Try this version...
Attachment: *****
Posted at 12:16 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 20:12 on July, 23rd 2003:

Quote:
You can delete IE from system.
Again, that is something Microsoft themselves deny. And I absolutely believe them there, because basically the whole 'Windows desktop' is one big website these days.

Yes, the same DLLs used by the same Windows Explorer. I do not use active desktop or folder web content anyway. They suck.

Quote:
That is like saying there is complete security in a network like the Internet. Everybody knows there isn`t. Given time, every security can be breached, and if you are 'at the source' (like Microsoft is), it's actually pretty easy.

For that, firewalls were invented.
Posted at 12:12 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
You can delete IE from system.
Again, that is something Microsoft themselves deny. And I absolutely believe them there, because basically the whole 'Windows desktop' is one big website these days.

Quote:
I'm sure that a decent packet spy , or firewall can see all the ports. I have such a program.
That is like saying there is complete security in a network like the Internet. Everybody knows there isn`t. Given time, every security can be breached, and if you are 'at the source' (like Microsoft is), it's actually pretty easy.
-----
Posted at 12:07 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
NetDanzr: you suck, just press on the oppened image and it will close :P

It works fine , including opera
Posted at 12:05 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
You can delete IE from system. What you can't delete in fact are the DLLs that are also used by windows explorer and many other programs.
If you know what DLLs to delete, ofcourse ( that also can be found)
You can try changing to an alternative shell and then delete.

I'm sure that a decent packet spy , or firewall can see all the ports. I have such a program.

Ok, made some modifications. Hope I fixed the pentagrams problem
Posted at 12:02 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Oh and another thing: when I open one of the images, there's no way to close them :P
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 11:42 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I've listed some actual measurements
Which are - as I pointed out - not comparable. If you're still not convinced, why don't you try deleting Internet Explorer from your system? You'll see it's not possible.

Quote:
Now, if you tell that it'a ugly as hell [...} that's not objective.
Actually, that's pretty much objective, because there is no decent integratrated 'skinning' system for that browser - in contrast to every other I've tried during the last few years. One of the many examples of the lack of features Tapuak mentioned.

Quote:
If it has spyware can be verified using a packet spy, but in fact, it doesn't.
Such programs can't do magic. All they're doing is look for traffic on certain ports. If a program uses another protocol than the ones it's looking for or if it disguises its traffic cleverly, it'll slip through. That is valid for every program with 'closed source' of course.

Quote:
It's not even closely compatible to technical defaults, such as html standards.
I gave up on this one: http://asta.tu-harburg.de/propaganda/uninews/uninews.htm. In case anyone can tell me why Internet Explorer refuses to display the upper right corner correctly, I'd definitely be interested. The page has been written following the HTML 4.01 Transitional standard as published in September 1999 by the W3C. Microsoft apparantely didn't manage to implement this standard since then.
-----
Posted at 11:20 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I'm not here to defend IE, but I've listed some actual measurements.
Now, if you tell that it'a ugly as hell and probably contains spyware,that's not objective.
If it has spyware can be verified using a packet spy, but in fact, it doesn't.

NetDanzr, the pink clouds are supposed to be some yellow circles (pentagrams). I don't understand why it doesn't work. In my Opera 7.11 it works fine and doesn't crash. Do not use beta's. anyway ,Opera 7 sucks. Trow it :P

Edited by Dexterus at 19:22 on July, 23rd 2003
Posted at 11:14 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Some facts about Internet Exploiter:

- It's one of the most insecure/buggy bunches of code that have been released, and in spite of that it has not seen any development since several years (I think since version 4.x). All Gecko-based browsers are open source, that means you have a huge team of programmers behind them and possible security issues will be fixed in a short time.

- It's not even closely compatible to technical defaults, such as html standards.

- It does not have any feature that a modern browser should have.

- The interface/menu structure has been created by idiots.

- It most likely contains spyware elements.

- It's ugly as hell.

Conclusion: Everyone should use Internet Explorer. :P
Posted at 11:08 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
For the record: those pink clouds chasing my cursor (or whatever they are supposed to be) tend to crash Opera 7.20 beta 2. It works fine in Opera 7.11, though.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:20 on July 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You are aware that Microsoft even won a case on the highest court of the USA stating Internet Explorer is part of the OS?
-----