The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - help on bass (not fishing nor music) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: W6BT0
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:58 on July 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Glad I could help :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 18:59 on July 26th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
thank you
thank you
thank you

the game works perfect now
the voice acting is alot better then I thought it would be.
thanks again for all your help

the reason for my confusion was because I thought that I already have the workbench installed within the emulator because when I ran games like "in the dead of night" they used a similar interface to the one of workbench 3.1 (before they were launched).

p.s the game rulez

p.p.s your avatar too

Edited by d at 03:01 on July, 26th 2003
-----
"we're the all singing all dancing crap of the world"(FC)
Posted at 02:09 on July 26th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'm using the emulator which is just called UAE, i.e. UAE for Linux. The functions we're talking about are all the same, though, I've seen that myself.

Quote:
what do you mean by workbench 3.1 disk in DF0?
when I load (simple .adf) games it automatically boots to workbench and then runs the game (or maybe its just for the windows version).
where can I get the .adf (or any other extension) file containing the workbench itself?
Look under the tab "Floppy Disks". Is there anything listed? If not, and it still boots into Workbench, you already have a virtual hard drive configured and installed. 'Booting into Workbench' means it actually takes some time, boot messages fly over the screen and then you get a GUI with drawers and a mouse cursor. If it only shows an animated floppy drive immediately after starting the emulation, that's not that Workbench, but just the Kickstart startup screen.
Provided you have the Workbench already installed to a hard drive, there is nothing more you have to do there. To check this, look under "Floppy Disks" as I said and if there is nothing listed, confirm it by looking under "Harddisks". If there is already something listed, it's all fine.
Otherwise, if you find a 'Workbench' listed under 'Floppy Disks', that is the adf you're booting from. To install it completely, you need a full set of Workbench disks (that is Workbench, Install, Storage, Fonts and Extras), then proceed as described above. If you only have one Workbench (boot) disk, you can install it too: Define a file system (see last post), boot Workbench (put Workbench disk in DF0: under the tab "Floppy Disks" ), doubleclick on the Workbench disk, choose "View all files" in the top menu (right-click to see it), choose to mark the whole contents of the drawer from the menu, open the hard disk by doubleclicking and drag all the stuff over (hold shift). That is not a really complete and clean install, though, of course.

Quote:
-BTW the goodolddays.txt says "copy LIBSfreeanim.library to LIBS:"
I don't get it, the file is already in that folder.
No, of course not. In the game archive, there is a subdirectory called "LIBS" which contains the file freeanim.library. This file needs to be copied to the system partition, i.e. to the directory Workbench:LIBS (not the Worbench floppy disk, but after you installed it!).

Quote:
when I start I have 4, and according to the number of folders and their names in the archive this game has 15 (does that mean that in the original thing the game had 15 floppy disks or 15 cd32 disks?
First of all, these 'slots' are the DF0:, DF1:, DF2: and DF3: I was talking about earlier. If you're working with a hard drive, you don't need them at all. No, the game of course doesn't consist of 15 CDs ;) The original disk version has 15 disks which have been copied to the CD (along with the new speech) - thus the names. No need to worry about that, the game automatically recognizes it is on a hard drive, you don't need to mess around with the floppy slots at all.

Quote:
and last, the files in the disk's folders (disk_1, disk_2) have no extensions
is it supposed to be like that?
Yes, that's correct. That is because these files are in the native Amiga file system, not FAT32 or NTFS or whatever you're using on your PC.
-----
Posted at 17:40 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
first of all thanks for your help Mr Creosote,
I thought it will take like a day for anyone to respond and instead it was 57 minutes (wow).

second I have some questions:
1.which version of UAE (dos-UAE) do you have?
2.regarding this quote:
Quote:
Start the emulation with the Workbench 3.1 disk in DF0:.
what do you mean by workbench 3.1 disk in DF0?
when I load (simple .adf) games it automatically boots to workbench and then runs the game (or maybe its just for the windows version).
where can I get the .adf (or any other extension) file containing the workbench itself?

-BTW the goodolddays.txt says "copy LIBSfreeanim.library to LIBS:"
I don't get it, the file is already in that folder.
should I make another empty folder named LIBS and then copy?, where should I put this LIBS? and what about slots? when I start I have 4, and according to the number of folders and their names in the archive this game has 15 (does that mean that in the original thing the game had 15 floppy disks or 15 cd32 disks? :o )

and last, the files in the disk's folders (disk_1, disk_2) have no extensions
is it supposed to be like that?

please respond (sorry for all the questions)and be more fundamental as I usually don't touch these kind of stuff
p.s your avatar rulez
-----
Posted at 10:06 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It is a bit more complex in this case. This game only runs either from a hard disk (in the case of emulation, a virtual one) or a CD. I'm using UAE and not WinUAE, so some actual names might vary for you. It should be vastly identical, though.

Under the tab "Harddisks", choose to add a "New Filesystem". Under "Path", just enter an empty directory on your actual hard drive. Unpack the archive you downloaded to that path (with WinRAR or whatever you´re using). "Volume Name" can be anything, I recommend calling it "Workbench" since this is the default name of the system partition (don't be shocked: there won't be any actual partitioning to do). Start the emulation with the Workbench 3.1 disk in DF0:. After booting, you should see the "Workbench"-icon on your desktop. Double-click on it. In the window which just opened, you should see a drawer containing the game. Again, double-click on it, then double-click on the program icon. The game should run now.

If you're planning to use more hd-installed games, you should consider installing the Workbench to this virtual hard drive. To do that, do everything just like before, but boot with the "Install 3.1" disk. Move everything away from the directory before doing that, though.

Edit: To be on the safe side, I'd recommend you install Workbench first in any case. I'm not 100% sure at the moment, but it could be that you need to copy some files from the archive to the boot system. Check a file called " goodolddays.txt" in the archive. If you need to do anything like that, it's noted there. So, the first thing you should do is leave the game archive untouched, make an empty directory, define it as "Filesystem" in UAE and install Workbench on it. After that, unrar the game to that directory (which shouldn't be empty anymore then), boot the emulator with Kickstart 3.1 (extended ROM not needed) and no floppy disk at all.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:23 on July, 25th 2003
-----
Posted at 09:35 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
You have an amiga-disk image as far as I can tell. this page explains how to use them...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 09:10 on July 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
what I mean is help with the cd32 version of "beneath a steel sky".

I downloaded it from TGOD and I have
WinUAE v0.8.22
kickstart.rom 3.1 rev 40.60
(what ever that means)
and an extended rom file rev 40.60
(what's with this 40.60?)

what now? :angry:
-----