The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Stupid Firebird question - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: g7q6I
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 11:43 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I found a work around for my profiles problem. I added -P "yourProfileName" to each shortcut to make it open using the correct profile. I also see that there have been some bugs related to firebird opening profiles (there were several different bugs, but one of them sounded exactly like my problem). Oh well, this will work.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 11:22 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I see that many of the old options can still be accessed without adding extensions or anything by pasting chrome://communicator/content/pref/pref.xul into the address bar and the hitting enter. This brings up a version of the original complete options menu from moz. The site i found the info on said that some of the options might not work though.
-----
Posted at 10:34 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, I know, but before the new install, I manually deleted anything belonging to Firebird because there was still a bug with "auto complete": Although I had already deactivated it, it still wanted to complete forms with data I had entered before I deactivated it - and this data was stored in the profile. Finally it's working as I want it now. :)
Posted at 10:28 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Cypherswipe: Well, you have a buggy version then, because that part is working fine for me :P

Tapuak: You can install the extensions to your profile instead of the program directory, then they'll even survive a reinstall.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 10:26 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As for point 2, you could try the "Preferential" extention, and then modify it manually (browser/helper apps/alwaysAsk).

Quote:
Tapuak- I agree with you, but I disagree. In a way it's good to get just a basic browser and then add only the things you want, but at the same time it sucks to have to download a dozen different things just to get what you used to get in a single download. It's not an easy question as to which way is better.

Yeah, the disadvantage surely is that you have to reinstall all your extensions after a complete new Firebird install, and then forget which extension you had before (like me).
Posted at 10:24 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I already have the things left out extension, and when I looked in the mime types section, both "zip" and "x-octet-zip" (or some such) are in there and have the proper settings for saving, yet I still get asked about saving zip files. Also, rar and exe are not list despite the fact that I have used firebird to download them and told it to always save and never ask.

Edited by Cypherswipe at 18:26 on September, 02nd 2003
-----
Posted at 10:22 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
2) I had exactly the opposite problem (one file type always being 'opened' as opposed to asking). It seems only the very first time you encounter a file type, your choice is actually saved. You can either install the "Things they left out" extension I mentioned above to change the settings later, or do it manually with a text editor.
-----
Posted at 10:19 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm having some problems with firbird v0.6. Mainly 2 things; 1) I created a second profile so that I could use phoenix and firebird side-by-side, but now it ALWAYS prompts me to choose a profile every time I open either one. I've tried checking the "don't ask on startup" option, but it doesn't work.
2) A similar problem with file saving prompts. Even though I choose "save this file to disk" and have unchecked "always ask", it still asks me every damned time.

Tapuak- I agree with you, but I disagree. In a way it's good to get just a basic browser and then add only the things you want, but at the same time it sucks to have to download a dozen different things just to get what you used to get in a single download. It's not an easy question as to which way is better.

Edited by Cypherswipe at 18:22 on September, 02nd 2003
-----
Posted at 10:00 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I think it's good that Firebird comes with the most basic features only. That way, you can install only the extensions you really need and have a minimum of bloat on your hd.
Posted at 09:48 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Actually, that's not completely true. Phoenix/Firebird is a complete redesign of the browser part, not just Mozilla ripped off the other major components. All the code is being optimized, lots of 'unnecessary' (a disputable term of course) stuff is being removed.

As for that other poor excuse for a 'browser' you mentioned, let's not even mention that shit again.
-----
Posted at 09:45 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The point is to have a faster/smaller browser, by not including the mail/news client, composer, and whatever else comes with the full suite, not to give up all the features/functions of the browser itself. If you want small and fast with no features, use the Off By One browser. One of the original reasons I switched to moz from IE was because of the features (I found out the improved quality, security, etc after using it for a while). When phoenix first came out, I didn't switch from moz due to the fact that phoenix lacked several of the features I liked and that most moz extensions don't work on phoenix and phoenix had very few extensions of it's own. I eventually switch to phoenix when they got more features and extensions and I decided I could live without the ones it still lacked.
-----
Posted at 09:23 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I think you missed the point of having Phoenix/Firebird in contrast to the full Mozilla package :P
-----
Posted at 08:57 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yeah, firebird is pretty good after you install 30 or so extensions (I can't believe they actually removed MNG support from moz/firebird, WTF?!). That's a slight exaggeration, but I did have to install about a dozen extensions to get firebird at the same level as my old mozilla (haven't updated moz in quite a while, and since they seem to have removed a number of features while "updating" moz, I'm glad I haven't) plus multizilla. And it would take about 2~3 extensions just to make firebird equal to phoenix without any extensions. Overall though, I guess firebird is a bit better than phoenix since there aren't any phoenix compatible extensions that provide some of the features found in multizilla for mozilla and the many extensions for firebird. (I'm using firebird + extensions now, and am debating whether to stick with it or go back to phoenix.)
-----
Posted at 04:31 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh yes, and on the matter of using tabs or not: I'm using tabs for everything. Always trying to group as much stuff together as possible. Yes, that screenshot (showing a text editor, an ftp client, a file manager, a browser and a terminal being 'tabbed' together) is of course exaggerated, but you should get the idea how it's always looking on my desktop ;) Tabs forever!
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 02:52 on September 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The last Phoenix was still a lot more like Mozilla than Firebird is. I don't like how many options aren't listed anymore (especially the MIME type stuff), too, but then again, most of the things can easily be solved by installing the "Things they left out" extension (it's really called like that ;)).
-----
Posted at 14:58 on September 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm not using mozilla, I'm using phoenix.
In phoenix, click the tools button in the toolbar, then choose prefs to get the prefs window, then click the + to expand the advanced section and look for the tabbed browsing options. Since phoenix is just an older version of firebird, the layout should still be similar if not exactly the same.

Re-edit: I just tried firebird and I see that they drastically changed the options menu (and not in a good way). They removed several of the features and hid many of the others.

Edited by Cypherswipe at 23:20 on September, 01st 2003
-----
Posted at 13:04 on September 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Just for the record: The file to edit if you don't want to install any extension is /path/to/firebird/defaults/pref/all.js
-----
Posted at 12:59 on September 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Why? Because I got used to it and don't like browsing with tabs. :bemused:

Quote:
Why go to all that trouble? Go into prefs->advance->tabbed browsing and uncheck "open link in tab when middle clicking".

That is the problem. I am talking about Firebird, not Mozilla. The structure of Firebird is different, it does not have a "prefenrences/advanced" menu. I was looking for the command you are talking about all the time and started to believe tha I'm blind... ;)
Posted at 12:56 on September 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
3) Because there is neither a "Prefs" menu, nor an "Advance" submenu, nor an "Tabbed Browsing" submenu, nor such an option in Mozilla Firebird.
-----
Posted at 12:50 on September 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
1) Why would you want to open in new windows when you have a tabbed browser?
2) If you leave middle clicking set to open in tabs, you can still use shift+click to open in new windows, but there's no shortcut key to open in a new tab.
3) Why go to all that trouble? Go into prefs->advance->tabbed browsing and uncheck "open link in tab when middle clicking".
-----