The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - Contra DOS floppy disk image - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 3lXw2
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 01:28 on April 4th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Mr Creosote, I have responded to your private message, please take a look at it.

flyers80, those are some valid points to take into consideration. However, much of those concerns would likely apply to most DOS games out there, including the risks.
But still, that is important to consider when it comes to the price of the game. As I said, I'm trying to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced copy of the game to minimize the concerns you brought up.
I'd rather keep it below $200 for that reason; if anything comes up that matches this, I'll let you know right away. Again, I'm willing to cover the cost.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 03:41 on June 2nd, 2018
Posted at 17:12 on April 3rd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Hi all :)

Contrafan how much would this madness cost you?

there are some points you need to know:

- the disk is likely to be copy-protected
- if it comes from ebay (used) it may have viruses and modified sectors
- if it is new sealed it may also be that it does not work

is it worth it?
Posted at 15:32 on April 3rd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I have sent you a private message concerning the status.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:04 on April 3rd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Thanks, Mr Creosote :)

I'm hoping there will be no problems with my submissions.
Posted at 04:53 on April 3rd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I'll be looking through your submissions today. Thanks for your patience!

P.S. There are help texts which should guide you through each step of the submission. Just hover your pointer over the field you need information about.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 04:54 on April 3rd, 2018
Posted at 20:20 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Ah, that's a good point. I would probably want to download some additional games, so I definitely need to keep the contributions up!
Posted at 20:17 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Would that actually count as 60 points, though (instead of 40)?

That's correct and that should suffice. Sorry, I thought you submitted only 2 games. However, it's never a bad idea to get more points as they also equal the amount of possible downloads. Actually :)
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 20:18 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 20:11 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Nice! I will try to put together another review. FWIW, I have submitted 3 games and a review for each game. Would that actually count as 60 points, though (instead of 40)?
-----
Edited by contrafan at 20:16 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 20:08 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Thanks a lot, this is very much appreciated. I have provided my own review for each entry.

Thank you. Please, excuse me, I'm temporarily without the means to either process your submission or at least have a look at it, therefore I have to resort to wild guessing. No worries though, it will be taken care of soon enough.

Quote:
The only downside is finding other peoples' reviews (especially contemporary) for these games is very difficult. These are old, obscure titles with next to no coverage.

I say, all the more reason for you to correct it :) And by the way, you only get points for your own reviews, so that was actually a good idea. Some people get it wrong and simply use other sources.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 20:09 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 19:54 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Thanks a lot, this is very much appreciated. I have provided my own review for each entry.
The only downside is finding other peoples' reviews (especially contemporary) for these games is very difficult. These are old, obscure titles with next to no coverage.

Contra for DOS isn't available to download on here yet, but I'm hoping to change that :)
I need to look out for a seller who wouldn't hawk the game for a very steep price. I believe there is a seller at a reasonable price in the 100's; I'll try to check.
Posted at 19:41 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
All done! I just submitted game entries for Contra, Super C and Metal Gear. I'll try to submit one for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is a pretty interesting DOS version of the game.

Thank you. Only keep in mind, we won't be able to post them until they are supplemented with reviews. Such are the rules. But it pays off well, because in addition to 10 points for a review you get another 10 for a new game entry.

Quote:
By the way, how can I check my contribution points?

It's on your TGOD profile page (not the forum one): /profile/id%2C4363/

Quote:
Heh, sorry if I'm sounding impatient about this. I'm just really looking forward to being able to archive Super C and Contra in their original, unmodified disk image forms.

It's ok, excitement is a good thing which keeps us alive. By the way, please mind disk image statuses. Sometimes it's "unverified", sometimes "modified". Though, Super C shows as "unverified" it looks 99% legit, at least there are no apparent modifications. But just so you know it, not all files are perfect and some haven't been tended to yet.

As for Contra, we don't have it yet, have we? :) But rest assured, the guys I mentioned above should definitely help. Only it will still take them time to buy the game, so no rush is necessary, I suppose.
-----
Posted at 19:03 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
All done! I just submitted game entries for Contra, Super C and Metal Gear. I'll try to submit one for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which is a pretty interesting DOS version of the game.
By the way, how can I check my contribution points? Heh, sorry if I'm sounding impatient about this. I'm just really looking forward to being able to archive Super C and Contra in their original, unmodified disk image forms.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 19:04 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 18:37 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Just start it anew, please.

Quote:
Sorry for asking so many questions, by the way!

It's all good, no worries.
-----
Posted at 18:31 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Oh, I see. Ok, I will upload them for the game. For Contra, I left that contribution page and don't know how to get back to it to continue contributing to it.
How do I return to that step 2? Sorry for asking so many questions, by the way!
Posted at 18:19 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
You can't really skip it because "files" implies screenshots at the very least which are, in fact, mandatory and that's how you upload them.
-----
Posted at 18:10 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Thank you.

When I submit new games, there is the message at the bottom telling me that my submission is not yet complete; I'm at step 2, which is to submit files. If I have none to submit, but would like to complete the other steps, how would I do that?
I plan to add reviews and game screenshots, as well.
Posted at 17:59 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I am able to buy it, but lack the equipment and knowledge to dump it myself.

I see, I assumed so.

Quote:
Like I said, I'd be willing to cover the cost of the game on eBay or the like, if someone here is able to dump the game's floppy disk images.

Well, I would recommend at least two people: flyers80 and Pheonix. Both are KryoFlux users. They should react to this thread soon, just wait a little.

Quote:
1) I'd like to contribute by adding some games to the site's list. But it's a 6-step process and step 2 requires "files". Which are these, exactly? Do they have to be the game's data or can they be screenshots? Because I lack proper image dumps for games I'd like to add.

Manuals, guides, quick reference cards, copy protection sheets, hint books etc etc. You could add plain game archives, too.

Quote:
2) I'd like to add just the game listing, as well as screenshots for the games and some reviews for them. Can I do this without being required to contribute game disk images?

Of course, images are not mandatory.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 18:01 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 17:44 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I am able to buy it, but lack the equipment and knowledge to dump it myself.
As my name suggests, I'm a huge fan of Contra, though, and am very passionate about preserving the data of all of its games.
Like I said, I'd be willing to cover the cost of the game on eBay or the like, if someone here is able to dump the game's floppy disk images.

As for earning contribution points here, I have a few questions:

1) I'd like to contribute by adding some games to the site's list. But it's a 6-step process and step 2 requires "files". Which are these, exactly? Do they have to be the game's data or can they be screenshots? Because I lack proper image dumps for games I'd like to add.
2) I'd like to add just the game listing, as well as screenshots for the games and some reviews for them. Can I do this without being required to contribute game disk images?

Thank you.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 17:46 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 17:35 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
If you don't get a reply soon we shall put it on the most wanted list. Question though: can't you buy and dump it yourself?

Quote:
Why is there no download link?

You need to earn at least 50 points. You can write a few game reviews or upload some files.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 17:38 on April 2nd, 2018
Posted at 17:20 on April 2nd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Has a dumped disk image of Contra for DOS been uploaded anywhere? If not, may I request if someone can dump it if I can fund its purchase?

Also, I would like to download Super C: http://www.goodolddays.net/diskimages/id%2C2362/
Why is there no download link?
-----
Edited by contrafan at 17:30 on April 2nd, 2018