The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - Quick making disk image question - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: rZ2w9
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 07:00 on May 27th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I am the proud new owner of a Gateway 2000 Pentium 1 PC from my high school days. It has 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.

Congrats on your purchase!

Quote:
From what I understood yesterday, if I use DOS, it will not modify the disk at all if I simply read the disk? Or will I need to still copy-protect the disk to be safe.

It is generally recommended to keep your disks protected at all times. Yes, DOS will not randomly change the disk's root or OEM ID (the other more troublesome issue) by just accessing them, but there is still a danger of making changes to them by running the game or the game installer, which may create new files or worse overwrite the original ones. So, it's really no less problematic unless you make sure you never do any of that ;)

Quote:
In addition, what do recommend in terms of DOS-based imaging software?

You could use the following three apps:

DCOPY
DISKCOPY
FDRW

All three are very similar, but may have slightly different options which you will probably ignore anyway. Meaning, none of these should make a big difference to you, yet you are free to make your own choice, of course.

Another thing. If some of your disks are actually damaged (partially unreadable) you will have to use Windows's UltraISO, because it has a special feature of skipping bad sectors, which none of the above apps can do. That could help restore almost any image later on by just filling in the resulting gaps with lost data.

Quote:
Thanks so much! I really look forward to sharing these images :)

Just wanted to say, don't hesitate to send something we already have, it may be different after all or require a status change to "Verified" or otherwise.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 08:59 on May 27th, 2018
Posted at 01:05 on May 27th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi everyone, I am the proud new owner of a Gateway 2000 Pentium 1 PC from my high school days. It has 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives.

I want to make disk images of my 5.25" floppies, and I want to make sure of the following:

1. The OS will not modify the disk, such as writing access stamps
2. The resulting image is in a format that everyone will enjoy

This particular PC will dual boot into DOS 6.22 and Windows 95.

From what I understood yesterday, if I use DOS, it will not modify the disk at all if I simply read the disk? Or will I need to still copy-protect the disk to be safe.

In addition, what do recommend in terms of DOS-based imaging software?

Thanks so much! I really look forward to sharing these images :)