The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Favorite movie flicks - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 3TS1a
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:18 on November 21st, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 00:04 on November 21st, 2019:
Very atmospherical, indeed.

Yes… to me it was more like almost getting sick and not being able to sleep afterwards. So, I will give Eraserhead this: It left an impression on me.

Originally posted by Moebius at 00:04 on November 21st, 2019:
8½? I think I tried watching it once, but I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes... guess it wasn't the right time and mood for me ;) But I'll try to give it another shot ;)

Well, one of the things I love it the most for is how good old Marcello is just living the dream: Drinking Martini, knowing lots of women, drifting through the day… OK, maybe not that much, but I do like the dream-like quality of the film.

Quote:
Watch the bomb scene. Laugh. Then realize they just don't know when and how to end a joke. That film just goes on waaaay to long to sustain itself.

Well, the later can be said about any Batman film. ;)

As for Star Trek: I am a bit more of a TNG-fan. ;) But speaking of TOS and slapping:this scene came to my mind. Always liked that almost relationship between Spock and Nurse Chapell.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
-----
Edited by Herr M. at 23:19 on November 21st, 2019
Posted at 05:30 on November 21st, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
The Fourth Man – symbolic to the point of self-satire, highly entertaining.

Thanks for that one, put it on the watchlist too.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 05:27 on November 21st, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 21:25 on November 14th, 2019:
Oh, lest I forget: There is only one real Batman to me. ;)

Watch the bomb scene. Laugh. Then realize they just don't know when and how to end a joke. That film just goes on waaaay to long to sustain itself.

The Fourth Man – symbolic to the point of self-satire, highly entertaining.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 00:04 on November 21st, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I will give it this though: There is one scene, that left a very lasting impression on, an outright disturbing one. That Lady in the Radiator… oof. Funny thing, it was her song that brought me to the film in the first place, or rather this cover version of it.

Very atmospherical, indeed. By the way, that video wasn't available for my region, had to use VPN ;) It also reminded me of one awesome video by this dutch guy Spinvis (Erik de Jong) but I will post it in the right thread along with another cover of Lady in the Radiator ;)

Quote:
To throw in something new: If I were to name the one favourite film of mine, I would just point to my avatar.

8½? I think I tried watching it once, but I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes... guess it wasn't the right time and mood for me ;) But I'll try to give it another shot ;)

Quote:
Oh, lest I forget: There is only one real Batman to me.

Oh yeah, that one has been on my watch list for a while. I actually only came to know about it a few years ago. That's right, I was altogether unaware there was something else way earlier than Tim Burton's 1989 picture :)

The following is definitely my favorite scene from Star Trek TOS, which is a very good example of identity crisis and discrimination further extending to schism and ultimately racism. Pure gold!
-----
Posted at 21:25 on November 14th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
OK, Mask and Hatchet for the Honeymoon went right on my "to watch" list. ;)

To expand a bit on Dune:
Yes, it has a very peculiar set design, which is exactly the reason why I like it so much. This pompous baroque suits the setting's decadence just fine.
If I were to compare it to Eraserhead, I guess it would be totally the other way round to me. I was blown away by Dune, but Eraserhead left me kind of cold. Well, not really, I think it was an impressive film, but I would not call it one of my favourites. I will give it this though: There is one scene, that left a very lasting impression on, an outright disturbing one. That Lady in the Radiator… oof. Funny thing, it was her song that brought me to the film in the first place, or rather this cover version of it.

To throw in something new: If I were to name the one favourite film of mine, I would just point to my avatar. Writing asa nisi masa on my wrist at about 2am might have something to do with it. You know there are just movies that you see at the right time in the right mood and they really stick with you.

Oh, lest I forget: There is only one real Batman to me. ;)
-----
Posted at 09:25 on November 11th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
One of my favorite scenes from Star Trek: The Original Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjJ3ujVF58
-----
Posted at 06:34 on October 30th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
And funny coincidence: Just recently I thought of opening a thread exactly like this. Though I would have kicked it off with a movie I rewatched last week: Mermaids
Best thing about it? I had not seen it in ages and stumbled upon it per stream. At first I did not actually want to watch it, but somehow I got glued to my seat and hey it was more fun than I thought it would be. So, in my opinion it aged a lot better than other movies and it was not just my crush on Winona back than that made me like this film. :P

Yeah, I used to fancy her too, though I acknowledged her existence a little later, in Alien 4 movie where she played the android ;) No, I don't think I even knew about Beetlejuice at the time.

Speaking of Cher, have you seen this movie called Mask from 1985? Won't spoil it for you, maybe you should just watch the trailer ;)

Quote:
Yet speaking of movies from our childhood, I think there is one that has left a very lasting impression on me: Dune
As laughable as it might be in parts and as much scorn as it got over the years (and yes this one has aged very badly) I still like how otherwordly it feels and how much it tries to be deep… yet failing ever so slightly. Got me thinking about a lot of things nevertheless and funnily I think I still show some of the mannerisms shown by this movie's characters.

Honestly, I could never really understand that one. It's weird, though unlike other Lynch movies, yet it left me with no impression whatsoever. I probably saw it a little too late and not when it actually came out. Can't say much about it. Now, Eraserhead really did blow me away ;) I don't think I need to post link to that, I'm sure everyone in here has seen it more than one time ;)

Quote:
Hatchet for the Honeymoon

Amazing movie, often overlooked in the oeuvre of master director Mario Bava. Trailer sins: they overlay the totally stylish pictures with a cheap Arial font for the English title and then mix up the names of the two main actresses :(

Hm, quite unexpected I have to say. I don't have a thing for italian thrillers and horrors though, they are mostly pretty cheesy, but not in the way enjoyable for me :)

Ok, Batman Forever is not exactly my kind of movie, in fact I pretty much ignore everything beyond Batman Returns, but this here is my favorite scene. Nigma's dancing is super ridiculous and funny ;)
-----
Posted at 08:31 on October 29th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hatchet for the Honeymoon

Amazing movie, often overlooked in the oeuvre of master director Mario Bava. Trailer sins: they overlay the totally stylish pictures with a cheap Arial font for the English title and then mix up the names of the two main actresses :(

As for Dune, I actually watched this two weeks ago with my wife. First time for her. She really likes science fiction and fantasy films. About this one, her concluding comment was, strangely enough, that the plot was good, but the costumes and dialogues were "old-fashioned". I guess the particular design didn't click with her.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:17 on October 28th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Wow, very weird and supercheesy. :D I have absolutely no clue what is going on, but the fight choreography is not half bad.

And funny coincidence: Just recently I thought of opening a thread exactly like this. Though I would have kicked it off with a movie I rewatched last week: Mermaids
Best thing about it? I had not seen it in ages and stumbled upon it per stream. At first I did not actually want to watch it, but somehow I got glued to my seat and hey it was more fun than I thought it would be. So, in my opinion it aged a lot better than other movies and it was not just my crush on Winona back than that made me like this film. :P

Yet speaking of movies from our childhood, I think there is one that has left a very lasting impression on me: Dune
As laughable as it might be in parts and as much scorn as it got over the years (and yes this one has aged very badly) I still like how otherwordly it feels and how much it tries to be deep… yet failing ever so slightly. Got me thinking about a lot of things nevertheless and funnily I think I still show some of the mannerisms shown by this movie's characters.
-----
Posted at 13:35 on October 28th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Since I've mentioned ninja subject in my latest review I thought I should share some related video content as well ;) Speaking of Godfrey Ho movies in particular, here is my favorite as well as probably the cheesiest fight scene ever from "Ninja Terminator" (no connection to the previous subject, pure coincidence):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhB0jR6xVek

I first saw this as a kid and thought "man, this stuff is wicked", but definitely in a good way ;) Also, I named the topic so because there is probably more stuff waiting ahead and unrelated to ninja. So if you got anything interesting to show - welcome.
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 13:57 on October 28th, 2019