The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (2012) - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: MHMda
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 06:40 on November 21st, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 21:45 on November 20th, 2019:
Yet is not the typical Sherlock Holmes story one with absurd backward logic and last act reveals? Actually this should suit the adventure genre just fine. ;)

True, none of the stories really play fair with the readers, enabling them to guess along. But then, I'm pretty sure this concept of engaging readers wasn't really invented at the time. I associate it more with the next generation of mystery writers, Agatha Christie and all (where it also was rarely fulfilled, but at least it was "a topic").

I'm quite fascinated with all games which attempt to model logical deduction into some gameplay variant. Haven't seen a perfect way yet, but many honourable attempts.

But, like LostInSpace (at least that's how I read his review), I'm frustrated that the designers then feel obliged to fill their games up with stupid puzzle boxes, door locks and other busywork. That's just lazy design and especially not appropriate for a Sherlock Holmes game.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 21:45 on November 20th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Yet is not the typical Sherlock Holmes story one with absurd backward logic and last act reveals? Actually this should suit the adventure genre just fine.

Just take his most famous catchphase: ""When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however, improbable, must be the truth" To me this sounds an awful lot like just clicking lots of nonsensical combinations to eventually come up with the one (and only one) possible answer. ;)
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 21:25 on November 19th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Of course, the cognitive abilities of Mr. Holmes cannot be simulated in such a banal way. As regular mortal players, we have to set our sights lower and settle for this simple approach to the unattainable genius. So we diligently collect everything that isn't nailed down, click our way through the abstruse schematics of a murder plot, and are overwhelmed with every conceivable type of lock and secret mechanism in every imaginable and sometimes completely absurd place.

Hehe, I guess this is the reason why so many games with Sherlock Holmes (or comparable characters) don't make him a playable character, but rather put the player in somebody else's shoes. Such as Another Bow, The Riddle of the Crown Jewels or Murder on the Orient Express.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:18 on November 19th, 2019 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Feel free to share anything about The Testament of Sherlock Holmes (2012) here!
-----
A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code.