The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Different Civilizations - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: m77p3
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:12 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Breaker: it depends on the form method and the database field type.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:45 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
But I think there is a limit on how much you can 'upload' when entering text in a box like this, can't remeber how much it was anymore.
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 07:26 on October 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
If my post didn't been cut by the restriction, explain to me why there is more than a paragraph missing?
There can be several reasons for this. The server having a bad day, you accidently cutting it off, etc. When you (theoretically) break the size limit of a post, nothing would be entered into the database, not something crippled.
-----
Posted at 17:55 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
If my post didn't been cut by the restriction, explain to me why there is more than a paragraph missing?

Warrior winning vs stronger units; the defensive units always have the advantage. Just look at the cyclopédia... +50% if fortified, +100% if fortifying in a metropol (in addition to being fortified), +15% if there is a river running in the middle of the battle, +50% if fortifying on a mountain, +50% for walls (+100% if you have the great wall), etc...

A warrior can easily get his 1 def point over a cavalry. Against a rifleman, the only thing you needs is luck.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 12:37 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Hang on for a second, while I get out my copy of War and Peace. ;)
-----
C'est pas la chute qu'importe -- c'est l'atterrissage
Posted at 09:37 on October 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 18:07 on October, 16th 2002:

Quote:
Unfortunatly my post seems to have been cut in two because of the 524288bytes restriction...

Well, I don't know what several thousand lines are missing in your post, but I doubt it was longer than the restriction. 524288 bytes are equal to 524288 characters if I'm right. Computer science experts please correct me! ;)
Absolutely correct ;) 524288 bytes is half an MB and it is the maximum file size of an attachment. The maximum text size of a post is 2^16 bytes, i.e. 2^16 characters. Good luck in breaking that :D

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:21 on October, 17th 2002
-----
Posted at 18:14 on October 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
...the military advisor always tell you the difference in military power from the number rather than the power or the quality of the 2 armies...
Yes, this is crasy, last night I had an army of 20 vs. an army of 40, I was outnumbered, but I had Panzers and he had Spearmen, now tell me, who would win in real life? Yet my military advistor was telling me I was going to lose :P

The funny part about it is that a fortified veteran Warrior can beat an attacking veteran Rifleman, which to me seems totally preposterous.
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 16:07 on October 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Unfortunatly my post seems to have been cut in two because of the 524288bytes restriction...

Well, I don't know what several thousand lines are missing in your post, but I doubt it was longer than the restriction. 524288 bytes are equal to 524288 characters if I'm right. Computer science experts please correct me! ;)
Posted at 02:11 on October 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Unfortunatly my post seems to have been cut in two because of the 524288bytes restriction... There wasn't much more to say in it, but just to let everyone know why the last post seems to end so abrutly...

I'm too tired to try to remember what is missing right now...
-----
Posted at 20:24 on October 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, it's hard to not be constantly in war, and that really doesn't appeal to me.

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 20:03 on October 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I must admit that sometimes the computers are really dumb. It's just like the advisors... The domestic advisor tells you to build more cities even if you already conquered 99% of the map, the trade advisor ask for more ressources all the time, the military advisor always tell you the difference in military power from the number rather than the power or the quality of the 2 armies and the science advisor always beg for more money... However, the point of those advisors is not really what they say, but the informations they can give you... You have to read between the lines if you want to make it out in a decent way, and the diplomatic options are just like that...

It also all depend of the difficulty of your game. I'm playing on the Monarch difficulty right now, and even with the last difficulty (reagent) I had trouble to do deals so profitable... You really need to have a big advantage on another civilization to do what you are saying, and at that time I beleive it's not a downfall for the game at all...

Would you prefer that an ennemy which been completely defeated and have only one or 2 low units for defense forfeit the chance of survival only because they don't want to give away some technology they have and you don't? I remember in my last game the English was almost defeated and had only one city remaining... I made peace with him to (obviously) get the tech I needed from them, but to eradicate them from the map afterward (some 10 turns later) I had to start another war with another nation, which was beginning to exaust myself a little too much... This is without saying that since I "betrayed" the English nation, some of the other 9 nations left on the map didn't want to trade with me for some time, or were asking so ridiculous sums of money or tech that it would be stupid to do such trades...
So, to get back to the point, when you do such things there is always some downfalls somewhere. If you are strong enough
-----
Posted at 07:55 on October 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The Diplomatic Model stinks! All you have to do is beat up on Civ really badly, and he'll give you anything... even a couple cities. Then to keep everyone else happy, because otherwise they are ALWAYS pissed at you, no matter what you do, you trade these things for ENORMOUS amounts of cash, and then you can buy any advance you are lacking from anybody... later in the game when advances are worth more and if you get ahead by one, it's easy to make a ton of money. Of course you HAVE to trade it with every sim, because if you trade with one, every other sim will ALWAYS have it by your next turn. Before the patch they used to trade it to everyone after you closed the window! How cheap!

Oh, and my computer is AMD 300 with 256 RAM and a Voodoo2 1000 that jiggles lose everytime I shut down the computer so I have to open it up and re-seat it.

Tuss
-----
Posted at 06:57 on October 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Welcome to the board, Eagle :).

As for your points, I agree with them, to a certain extent. I am not so sure about the diplomatic model: compared with that in Alpha Centauri, it is really inferior. In addition, I kind of like the music. In fact, I can't wait to advance to the modern age; the music there is so cool I could listen to it over and over again... :D
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 04:52 on October 15th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Reading that thread, I had to reply.

I am playing CivIII on my AMD 300, 196 megs ram and it's really running fine! In fact, I'm quite impressed. The only difference I can give to Tuss about my system vs his is the fact that I have a GeForce4 graphic accelerator...

As for the game, I would give it a 9.5 on 10. It's good, better than most of all the new or old games I played so far... It's not at all like the other 2 Civs either, it's rather a blend of all the good things in the precedent serie with some new ideas added in.

The diplomatic options is wondefull too, I would rate it higher than MOO easily... And the difficulty settings is really improved since the AI's are really dumb at the lowest levels and get better and better as you increase, instead of giving you stupid production downfall like in Civ 1... It takes out completely the feeling that the computers are cheating, since there is no evident sings of "cheating"...

And if you want to know why I removed .5 points, the music is awfull and most of the advisors screen and the ending screens are made for a normal game, meaning you'll never be able to see all the informations you need if you play with more than 8 civilizations (including yourself) on a bigger map than normal...
-----
Posted at 14:32 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss at 16:19 on October, 14th 2002:

I don't like Civ3 at all anyway. The Diplomatic Model is really messed up. It doesn't seem realistic at all.
That seems to be a common problem with 'newer' games. Take Master of Orion vs. Master of Orion 2 on this point: a major step back! :(
-----
Posted at 14:19 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't like Civ3 at all anyway. The Diplomatic Model is really messed up. It doesn't seem realistic at all.

Tuss
-----
Posted at 10:30 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
NetDanzr: Thanks. I tried Test of Time meanwhile and apart from a question whether I wanted aliens or not (which I answered with yes to ensure I get to see everything 'new' ), I couldn't see the slightest difference to the normal Civ 2. Apart from the inferior graphics of course: the angles are all wrong, sometimes it's impossible to see where a unit stands exactly and so on.

Tuss: That's what I thought.
-----
Posted at 09:33 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Mr Creosote, I got Civ3 to run on my 300, even though I had all graphic options turned off, and the game was slower than molasses trying to get to the moon. I never made it past 3000BC because it would take a few days to get there, because moving the units and city screens were so slow....

Tuss
-----
Posted at 07:14 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Civilization 2: Test of Time It's basically Civ2 with "improved" graphics. Terrain and units are now in 3D, which makes the units very hard to spot, especially in forests and jungles. The only other thing that's new is that in some fantasy scenarios, you can expand underground and into the sky. This gives the game a certain 3D feel, but it hasn't been implemented well enough to offer any signifficant shift in strategy. The biggest drawback is that you cannot use maps and scenarios from Civ2. My old review of the game is here.

Civilization: Call to Power 2: It's a combination of Civilization and Alpha Centauri in the sense that you can go way into the future, both with technologies and new structures. It allows you to build cities in the sea, for example. I must admit I never played it, and still vait for a budget packege of CtP1 and 2, so all I know about the game is from a demo I played a while ago and a few reviews.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 06:17 on October 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Civ 3 is not an option for me for two reasons: too expensive and (presumably) too high hardware requirements.
-----