The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - The worst game ever
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

The worst game ever

Posted at 16:18 on November 16th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
As we have a topic here which is called the "worst gamer" I would like to start a thread that deals with really, really awfull games.

Here is one favourite of mine: "Privateer 2 the darkening".

the story is totally boring,(you only have to visit some people and then the story goes on) the joystick routine is non existing(you have to calibrate every five minute) and the gameplay has one big mistake: you can´t jump to another system without having destroyed every enemy ship!!! So if you have to carry out a mission in a system far away you have to fight through myriads of enemy ships and if you have brought them down you can be sure that others arrive soon. Fortunately the patch gives you to the possibility to choose "undestructible". Otherwise you would go mad by killing the same enemies over and over again without reason.

No comparison to the first game in this series which I love and play over and over again.
Posted at 22:01 on November 16th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I tried the first but a bug left me stuck I think in the second zone.

There are plenty of bad games, and I have tried some recently for the modern consoles that suffer a nuisance that is becoming too common. They need, literally, half and hour of huge amounts of text to feel confident of that you know the characters are simple stereotypes.

After that if you dare to keep playing they put you on one of those tutorials made for people with big mental problems (hell, I don't see the need of explaining what moving and attacking does) and after that you get some hours more of bland story that means nothing to the game.
Posted at 22:30 on November 16th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I can't help but agree. That game is really lousy, exactly the same thing (being crowded by enemies) happened to me all the time. Checking out my old short review of it (predating this website even), and to quote the relevant part:
Quote:
The game design is not as good as in Privateer. There you were first in a solar system where nothing really bad could happen to you. In Privateer 2 you are in the same area all the time. That means that at the beginning you have to deal with the same amount of pirates as later and at the beginni[n]g they are unbeatable. So you have to save your game everytime you leave a planet and hope you do not encounter any enemies. Another option would be invulnerability but it should be possible to play the game without it. In this game it is not. Always coming to the same planets all through the game also gets a bit boring. The space combat is also quite tiring sometimes. As you can only jump to the next NAV-point when there are no enemies around, you have to kill them all first. But if it takes you too long, more and more of them will arrive and attack you. I sometimes came in a situation I could not escape, because there was an unlimited number of pirates and it was not a mission but just an ordinary flight. I had one of the best ships and killed about 100 of them without being severely wounded, but after fighting this battle more than an hour I was just frustrated and I had to restore the game. And this happened to me several times!

So, yes, I'm glad someone else sees it that way, too ;) As for the plot, I didn't finish the game, so I can't fully judge it. Lost identity / memory may be a standard plot device, but it's a welcome one in my book. The acting... well, I do remember quite a few 'names' in there (Christopher Walken, John Hurt, and even Clive Owen before he became successful; I bet he wishes he didn't play that part now), but what can these people do if they're only given crap lines? I especially (negatively) remember one scene in which Clive meets Chris (no idea how the characters are called), and they chat a little about Clive working for the Federation (?), and then, suddenly, completely out of the blue, he says something along the lines of "I need upgrades for my ship", to which Chris replies "Would XYZ (some sort of special equipment) be enough?". Horrible, completely without being embedded into the rest of the dialogue and the story at all.

However, I wouldn't class it anywhere near the 'worst game ever'. Certainly one of the most disappointing games ever, because the expectations were high. There are many games like that (high expectations, huge disappointment), but in the end, it's still somewhat playable (not very well, but at least I think I got halfway through before letting it rot). In contrast, there are lots and lots of games which are completely unplayable - and those are without a doubt worse! Just with no expectations, they're also quickly dismissed and forgotten.

So, if we're talking about disappointing games with a lot of hype surrounding them, I'd go with my standard reply: Turrican.

If, however, you're really after the worst games ever, there's King's Quest 7. I immediately got lost in a huge desert full of identical looking screens. I also hate the first part (obviously), but the 7th is even worse - by far! There are countless 'action' games which are totally unplayable, too.

To name one example (which could fit in the 'disappointing' category as well, but which is also completely unplayable): Deathbringer. Absolutely breathtaking graphics (which you can't see on screenshots, you have to see it live to understand), and one nice idea (your sword needs blood, and if you don't kill an enemy for too long, it will feed off you). Gameplay-wise, total shit. You can jump over / walk through all the regular enemies. In fact, you do that virtually automatically, because once you spot one coming at you, you can't even stop your running sprite quickly enough to attack him. The controls are so slow, you always have to 'plan ahead' by several seconds - which just isn't possible in an action game. And the bosses are unbeatable. In fact, you have to pass a 'boss' quite often. The first ones (three giants who beat you with their hands and feet) turn up after thirty seconds. And you will never be able to pass them :pain:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:45 on November 16th, 2007
Posted at 22:40 on November 16th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
A friend hates King Quest 7 because it punished you a lot. All the situations could be solved with more than one object, only that just one of these objects was the correct, how to know which was right? Apparently looking at the point they gave, but really because you got irremediably stuck a time after the mistake.
Posted at 22:44 on November 16th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fits, but I can't say I've experienced that, because I never even got as far as picking up any object, let alone getting near solving any puzzle ;)
-----
Posted at 15:53 on November 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Regarding "Privateer2": I agree with Mr Creosote. It should be called the most "disappointing" game. The game had its flaws, (especially when you´re a Wing commander fan as I´m),but it wasn´t really "a worst game".

One other canditate for topic "worst game" coming from the Wing commander universe was Wing Commander Prophecy

I loved Wing commander IV, but when I bought Prophecy I was so dissappointed. Also myriads of enemies, the story was awfully boring, and you could see that the actors were totally unmotivated.

There wasn´t the spirit of Chris Roberts behind all this and you could feel and see this :(

Regarding KQ7: Yes it was really, really sugarsweet, and sometime really unlogical.. I always loved the Sierra adventures, but this really was a decline in story and quality.
Posted at 16:30 on November 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Looking better I see it was King Quest V the one I meant. The King Quest saga is a bit blurry for me as I never liked it much. And by the way I have the one I think is the last (it doesn't even have a number, but the title is The mask of eternity) which tries to be something new but looks half done.
Posted at 09:25 on November 26th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I always loved the Sierra adventures

Wow... you must have a masochist streak ;) How about that King's Quest (3?) in which this wizard (?) randomly pops up to take you back to prison and you have to escape again, again and again again?
-----
Posted at 15:28 on November 26th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can't forget the first Larry game where death awaited you in everycorner. Going to the bathroom and drow or crossing the completely empty street to be killed by a car that suddenly appears, and then being resurrected wich a weird machine was all an experience.

Some of their games are fun (the quest for glory series is great for example), but mostly I feel punished when playing them.
Posted at 22:10 on November 27th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
The worst game ever is Enemy Zero on the Saturn.
Posted at 22:13 on November 27th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
fretz! Don't know that game, but still good to see you after.... (according to the search) more than three years :D
-----
Posted at 00:18 on November 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Its the lurk-of-the-century :D Ive popped over here from time to time for a read but have been busy touring the UK and Ireland on a motorbike, busy with family stuff and then busy starting a business!

The game, Enemy Zero, is terrible. Its by Warp, is an interactive movie/adventure with action bits/fps, contains the Laura character from 'D' and defines the word frustration.

The enemies are invisible (hence enemy zero, or E0 as its commonly known), you only know their location from a kind of sonar thing with a collision detection on these invisible enemy's so brutal that you need to be pixel perfect, only pixel perfect when you cant see the enemy... at all. Not even the tiniest of visual hint, just a directionless beep, beep, beep, SPLAT!

It was one of the later PAL games to be released and is one of the rarer Saturn games (because nobody bought it because its so shit!). Ive attached a photo of my mint copy :P See if you recognise it or if it jogs your memory from the photo - it got a release on the PC so you should hunt it down - if you can get over the diabolical invisible enemies it has potential but my-oh-my, arrgh.

Although, they numbered the discs from 0-3, rather than 1-4, which redeems them a little at least.

-----
Edited by fretz at 00:35 on November 28th, 2007
Posted at 00:39 on November 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
..and the worst audio ever is also on the Saturn. In the game Deep Fear, which was the last game ever released in Europe on the system, and one of the rarest, if not the rarest.

Check out the Japanese guy putting on a gay French accent for the voice acting, the worst voice acting in history.

Get your headphones out, crank up the volume and listen to some of these...

http://www.audioatrocities.com/games/deepfear/index.html

Aside form the sound though, its a fantastic game, could be argued that its on par with the original Res Evil. And I quite like the cover art...

-----
Edited by fretz at 00:44 on November 28th, 2007
Posted at 09:39 on December 3rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
The enemies are invisible

Sound like "Oh, we're close to the deadline, but we haven't finished all textures and 3D models yet... what should we do? Oh, just release it anyway and call it a feature!" ;)
-----
Posted at 12:10 on April 16th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
*cough* Privateer 2 was my favourite game for a long, long time.

It had Clive Owen in it. It was his acting debut! I thought it was wonderful. I was about 12 though, go figure. I'd probably play it now and find it to be a tad less fantasmagorical.

Worst game I ever played was Moraff's World - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moraff's_World - although it was so wonderfully awful that I really want to find it and play it again. :(
Posted at 14:31 on April 16th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Al at 12:10 on April 16th, 2008:
It had Clive Owen in it. It was his acting debut!

Not exactly. He was in movies you've never heard of before ;)
-----
Posted at 05:03 on April 28th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I don't remember the name, but it was part of a bundle with my Leadtek Geforce 2 Ti I got in 2002. It was hard to understand. The first game I threw in the trash, and I don't know that I've done that since.

Sorry I don't know what it was called...It might be that one called "Dronez."
-----
Edited by Spiced at 05:07 on April 28th, 2008
Posted at 00:08 on August 4th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hi, just wanted to say that I think Wing Commander Prophecy is fantastic. Easily the best of the games gameplay-wise. The only game in the series where the gameplay trumps the movie part.

As you were!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll