The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Are we getting conservative?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Are we getting conservative?

Posted at 15:08 on December 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thats a good point. I hate this trend towards multiplayer. It's going to kill my RPG's :-(. Online gaming sucks. You don't feel any atmosphere because you are the only person over 15 on the server half the time and no-one is remotely in character. I played Everquest once, tell me... is 'Yuck Fou' a medieval sounding name to you? I ran into him and about 10 others just like that.

also, maybe it wasn't fair for me to use a first generation CD game like Megarace as an example of an old game, because all of the early CD-Based games sucked.... Hellcab was another one.

and the point about patches being released right after the game is disgusting, too. Here I am defending new games, forgetting that I NEVER buy games as soon as they come out any more because I don't trust them. Maybe I don't see the bugs because I've become a smarter buyer.

But I only became a smarter buyer due to experiences back in the DOS days, because games were just as buggy back then, and in those days, there were no patches, they gave you a tech number which was worthless so if you bought a buggy game, you either learned to play around it or you were S.O.L.

The old games that we talk about on these boards are fantastic, but they only represent about 5% of the games that were released. The others either couldn't hold up against newer technology or were outright awful.

and don't forget, back then it was also much easier to come up with an original idea. There are more companies releasing games now, and foreign designers can also hit our market. Therefore, it is much harder for a game to really stand out and that is why it is harder for a game to establish a long term following.

If a game is really special now, the company keeps it on the market by creating add-ons and sequels. A great game becomes kind of an institution now, and that isn't a bad thing. The best games from two years ago are still among the be
Posted at 15:12 on December 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Last note got cut off, here is how it finished :-)
If a game is really special now, the company keeps it on the market by creating add-ons and sequels. A great game becomes kind of an institution now, and that isn't a bad thing. The best games from two years ago are still among the best today for that reason. I mean, look at the Sims and how much extra stuff has been written for that. In the past, original games like Alter-Ego (Which was very popular and very The Sims-like) were just dropped once they stopped selling.
I'm not saying 'New games are great, Old games suck'. I wouldn't be here if I felt that way. My angle is I don't think overall game quality has changed much at all. Developers and distributors were greedy then, and they are greedy now. They want our money, and will get away with whatever they can. There were good and bad games from both time periods. At least now we can go online to read opinions and get patches.
I think it's just a difference in the genres we play, too, Cresote. I hated adventure games like 'Kings Quest', 'Myst', and 'Zork'. I don't miss that genre at all. Sports management and RPG's are my thing, and right now they are doing fine. If they began to dry up, my opinion on new releases would probably change.
I rambled a bit here...sorry.
Posted at 15:31 on December 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Nobody is claiming all old games were good. King's Quest is a perfect example for that and everybody knows I don't hold back my opinion about bad old games ;)

What I will never be able to agree on is that game quality is the same as it was! You might have a point that it's harder to be original these days. But are companies trying at all? What I see from flipping through the pages of current games magazines is the millionth Doom clone and the 500000th Dune 2 version. Seldomly, they add a Lotus-clone.
Companies might have been greedy back then, but developers weren't - most programmers did it, because they turned their own hobby into a job - it was something they enjoyed themselves! And that is the obvious difference to how it is now if you ask me. Now it's just bored programming slaves trying to earn enough to buy some food. I bet none of these people ever play their own games! It shows.

You mention The Sims again and again, the last game I bought ever for full price (after many years pause). I really enjoy it, it's a good game! I don't like it better than Alter Ego though, I'm playing them both roughly the same time on a regular basis. The Sims are an exception though, it is not even really new anymore ('98? '99?), and it the whole genre is more or less dead. Sure, they're trying to make more and more money with these silly add-ons.
That leads to an inconsistency in your arguments. On the one hand, you're talking about greedy companies. On the other hand, you present these add-ons as proof good games stay in focus (in contrast to the 'non-greedy' release of Alter Ego). Hmm.....

A final note about bugs. Your 'computer life' seems to have been dominated by PCs from very early on, so I won't deny you're right about comparing old PC games with new ones. I can only say that on my Amiga, I didn't even know what 'bug' means :D

What I'm missing is not King's Quest or Myst (another horrible game which only depends on its graphics), but games where I can feel the 'love' that was put into them. Games where I can be sure they programmers made them to play them themselves, because they're fans of this genre (and not because their boss decided this genre is 'in' at the moment)! Games which don't try to imitate other smash hits, but find their own ways and solutions! All that is missing in new games, that is why I wouldn't even see it differently if 'my' genres would be more popular again - it would always only be unispired crap :(

(oh, by the way: if you plan to continue this discussion or stay for longer, you should consider registering your username ;))
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 17:20 on December 5th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
What probably is happening, is that the companies are trying to please to many people to get enough money. Surely the companies must say to their workers 'Make a game that must have these elements, blah, blah, blah, and blah' and then the creators have to build a game around those, which is really much harder than just starting with a clean slate which good ideas are easliy added.

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll