The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - IDSA fun
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

IDSA fun

Posted at 13:30 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
This silly little 'organisation' just targeted Back to the Roots. In case you don't know that site, it is a huge project to offer Amiga games legally - everything offered there is freeware, demos or the copyright holder has given permission for their software to be offered. That doesn't stop some 'over-enthusiastic' people to accuse them of piracy. To quote from their news:
Quote:
IDSA (Interactive Digital Software Association), self appointed world software cops, attacked our site again. Obviously they run a robot, which parses sites for zipfiles with names of games they protect, and, once detected, directly notify the owner of the IP space to disable access without doing any research. That is exactly what happened to us, now the second time. Last time (one year ago) we provided contact details and the information that all stuff on our site is either freely distributable or licensed. They did not even respond. The first answer is the second attack now, mostly because of freeware and demo versions! Fortunately the IT department of the university hostig us are some bright minds. They disabled routing for our machine for a while and asked IDSA to approve their statement in any way, which did not happen, so they enabled our site again. Big thanks for this wise reaction!

If you run a legal download site, please warn your ISP about the way IDSA is doing their work, and that they blindly try to shut down sites, no matter how many years of research you invested in getting licenses to keep your site legal. If you're one of the companies supporting IDSA consider giving your money to someone who takes the subject more seriously.

I have nothing to add and rest my case.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:09 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Wow... Now this is almost as stupid as complaining about a broken link when all downloads are disabled. If not more stupid, of course. I think I should just place a few dummy .zip files and see whether the IDSA responds or not ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:13 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, that reminds me: I've banned a user here at the forum for personal harassment: he kept complaining to me that the downloads at 21CT don't work and when I pointed out I'm not the webmaster of that site and that this has all been explained before, he launched some really childish flaming including a lot of words usually used to describe sexual acts. If you're interested, I can forward the 'discussion' to you ;)
-----
Posted at 14:27 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm up for some good laugh. Especially after politely replying to inquiries about game downloads for the last two and a half hours :pain:.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 14:48 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sent you an e-mail to protect the minors in this forum ;)
-----
Posted at 15:39 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Thanks, I'll check it out :D.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 17:04 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This wouldn't happen to be this Erik? :bemused:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 18:38 on November 18th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Man, I thought the ISDA was gone... silly to think that though.

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 01:11 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Pada1 at 19:04 on November, 18th 2002:

This wouldn't happen to be this Erik? :bemused:
No, it was a "Padawan". :P
-----
Posted at 08:23 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Thanks for the good laugh, Mr Creosote. He indeed sent me a few emails (and was nice enough to include his phone and fax number as well), which I replied to, pointing out that the download is actually very easy to find on Google. Too bad I replied before getting your e-mail ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:12 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
To avoid some of this useless mail, don't you think it would be a good idea to post some news on your site clearly stating what you're planning and what you're not planning?
-----
Posted at 09:17 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
What a novel and interesting idea! I'll do that. I'll probably frame it red for everybody to notice...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:20 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Don't expect too much from it though, I have some experience with visitors ignoring such news :cunning:
-----
Posted at 09:30 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Done :). And the person who doesn't notice that doesn't have the right to breath :P.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:34 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You know how it works: person comes to site, clicks on 'games', clicks on game name, clicks on 'download', notices download doesn't work, complains. Do you think these people can sacrifice any of their precious time reading useless announcements?
-----
Posted at 09:40 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
You forgot to mention that they have the holy right to demand the game downloads ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:41 on November 19th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's a given fact.
-----
Posted at 08:20 on November 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
What if you point all of the download links to a page with the announcement that downloads don't work?
-----
Lets make this a beefy place
Posted at 08:27 on November 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
hehehehehehehehehehehehe! Click one of the download links at 21CT and you'll be surprised ;)
-----
Posted at 20:26 on November 21st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
And you mean to tell us that even with that message, idiots still ask why the downloads don't work. I'm shocked :P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll