Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The most stupid law ever?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

The most stupid law ever?

Posted at 09:06 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
We all know there are some nice collections of stupid laws throughout the Internet. But which is the unexplainable law you can't even understand out of some 'historical context', a law which makes so little sense you have no idea what it is for? Some examples I couldn't understand, maybe one of you can enlighten me.

In Alaska, it is illegal to look down on an Elch from a plane.
In Devon, Connecticut, it is illegal to walk backwards after sunset.
A Canadian law say two ships cannot both have the same position at the same time (and if they do, they're punished?).
In Indiana, you're not allowed to take a bath during winter.
In Lousiana, bankrobbers are not allowed to shoot at bank clerks with water guns after the robbery (the punishment will certainly increase if they do....).
In Texas, potential criminals are obliged to notify their future victim of the crime they plan 24 hours in advance.
In Frankfort, Kentucky, you're not allowed to shoot off the tie of a policeman (obviously, but why is an individual law needed for that?).
In Los Angelos, every man is allowed to beat his wife with a leather string in case it is not broader than two inches. If he wants to use a bigger one, he has to ask for the wife's permission (is he allowed to use the smaller string to 'convince' her?).
It is illegal in Idaho for a man to give a woman a box of pralines as a gift if it weighs less than 50 ounces.
In Israel, men called Cohen are not allowed to marry divorced women (is that something religious???).
In Washington, no man is allowed to have sex with a virgin, even on his own wedding night (do they have to import non-virgins to survive?)!
In Massachussetts, nobody is allowed to lie on the shelves of bakeries (who came up with this idea?).
In Oklahoma, it is illegal to hunt whales (addition: Oklahoma is in the middle of the USA, no coastline).
Monsters are not allowed to enter the city of Urbana, Illinois (better to be safe than sorry).
In Cupertino, California, it is illegal to count backwards loudly in hexadecimal system.
In Province, Rhode Island, it is illegal to sell both a toothbrush and toothpaste to the same customer.
In Georgia, it is illegal to attend a religious service without a loaded gun.
Hypnotized persons may not be put into a shop's window in Harthahome City, Oklahoma (they have some experiences with this....).
In Baltimore, Maryland, you're not allowed to clean a sink, no matter how dirty it is.
In Greene, New York, it is illegal to walk backwards and eat peanuts when there is a concert.
People in Vermont are not allowed to whistle under water (as if anyone is able to do that!).
Clubs in Iowa may not charge for a concert of a one-armed pianist.

Laws don't come out of nowhere. Someone (some kind of parliament, a council,...) must have voted for them. I really can't imagine the situation when these laws were passed! What did these looneys think? Ok, maybe they didn't pay attention in the 'discussion' and just said 'yes'. But still there has to be someone who has come up with these laws and written them down! Argh :pain:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:33 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In some cases, such as shooting the tie of a policeman or the virgin issue in Washington, I assume it is a typo issue. Some others are simply to make a certain place unique, such as the no-monsters law. For example, a mayor of a small town somewhere in the middle of nowhere signed a new law, saying that the town was not a part of the United Nations anymore. It brought the town its 15 minutes of fame and about $20,000 (more than its annual budget), spent by the horde of journalists who covered the story. In some other cases, the laws are simply outdated. I remember some state still has a law that in front of every car there has to be a runner with a red flag.

Then there's a large group of laws aimed at protecting the people from themselves - the kind of laws I absolutely hate. You don't mention it here, but for example, for me it is illegal to get out of the car in New Jersey and get gas on my own. I have to remain in the car and wait to be serviced, supposedly for my own protection. In New York, it is illegal to have those stops on the hoses on gas stations, which you put into place, so that you don't have to hold the hose all the time. Supposedly, once the stop didn't turn off the gas on time, and there was some damage to the car... I would put the backwards walking law in this category.

The last group are laws aimed at protecting property, such as the peanuts on a concert. For exactly the same reason (trash on the floor), it is illegal to smoke on the vast majority of beaches in the US.

The whole problem with the laws in the US is that the country is so decentralised. I have to observe federal laws, state laws, county laws and town laws, each having a different (and sometimes contradictory) set of rules and regulations. To make matters worse, I even have to observe the rules passed by the local council of house owners. For example, it is illegal for me to grow vegetables in my garden, and I am legally bound to cut the lawn at least twice per month and repaint the exterior of the house at least once every 5 years. The law even tells me which colors I am allowed to use...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:55 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
NetDanzr: Then don't live in a place that has a council of homeowners!

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 17:20 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm housesitting. Beats paying for housing, and the council of homeowners is just a nuisance for me... Unfortunatelly, unless you have a lot of money ($250,000+) or very little money (a studio somewhere), there's no place without a council of homeowners for you in New Jersey...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 20:36 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
NetDanzr: Then don't live in New Jersey!

I know places in Detroit where houses are only $15,000 and you don't have any council or nuttin'.

Tuss
-----
Posted at 21:38 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
here are some

And we thought some of OUR laws were strange...
Most Middle Eastern countries recognize the following Islamic law: "After having sexual relations with a lamb, it is a mortal sin to eat its flesh." (Umm OK, I'm sure the lamb appreciates that one)

In Lebanon, men are legally allowed to have sex with animals, but the animals must be female. Having sexual relations with a male animal is punishable by death. (OK, like THAT makes sense... )

In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman's genitals, but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination. He may only see their reflection in a mirror. (Ouch!)

Muslims are banned from looking at the genitals of a corpse. This also applies to undertakers; the sex organs of the deceased must be covered with a brick or piece of wood at all times. (...a brick?)

There are men in Guam whose full-time job is to travel the countryside and deflower young virgins, who pay them for the privilege of having sex for the first time. Reason: under Guam law, it is expressly forbidden for virgins to marry. (Now let's just think for a minute..is there any job anywhere else in the world that even comes close to this?)

In Hong Kong, a betrayed wife is legally allowed to kill her adulterous husband, but may only do so with her bare hands. (The husband's lover, on the other hand, may be killed in any manner desired.)

Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool, England - but only in tropical fish stores. (Of course!)

In Cali, Colombia, a woman may only have sex with her husband, and the first time this happens her mother must be in the room to witness the act. (I shudder at the thought. How many of us would be virgins today?)

In Santa Cruz, Bolivia it is illegal for a man to have sex with a woman & her daughter at the same time. (...We have to presume this was a big enough problem that they had to pass this law...)

In Maryland, it is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises."
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 21:41 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Net Danzr I totally agree with your catagorization of the laws.

Here are some outdated ones from good ol Aus

All hotels and inns must feed and water your horse for free ( I wanna try that one day)

and all taxis must carry a bale of hay in the boot
-----
Posted at 22:47 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Where is this 'Guam' you speak of? :P
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 23:23 on December 1st, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
it might be spelt wrong but last time I checked it was a country in Africa
-----
Posted at 08:49 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
You must've spelled that wrong then ;). Guam is a small island in the Pacific :P.

Tuss: You don't know what you're talking about. I have yet to meet a person who would not want to live in the paradise New Jersey is ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:32 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
sterge10: it might be spelt wrong but last time I checked it was a country in Africa
I wasn't complaining about the spelling... My sick and twisted mind was just wondering where this paradise of virgins and easy money might be! ;)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 12:24 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
sterge: those laws are all really weird by our standards, but most of them are simply based on different cultures than ours. I can imagine most of these being passed (in their own time of course, some are clearly 'outdated' ).

What I still don't understand is things like two ships not being allowed to be at the same position, looking down at Elchs and those - they don't even fit in the categories NetDanzr pointed out :confused:

Mole: you misunderstood this: virgins like you have to pay, they don't get paid :P

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:25 on December, 02nd 2002
-----
Posted at 13:03 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I can understand the elk (proper spelling) thing. I can well imagine a law that would say that hunting, or even just observing (looking down at) elk from a plane is disruptive to the animal, and thus illegal. They probably simply used the wrong wording.

As for the ships, isn't it also illegal for two cars to be at the same place at the same time? ;) Probably a wording issue as well.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 13:06 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As for the two ships, either it is used to fine captains that run into other boats, or it might just be a mis type and they can't report the same position, a la a ship doing something illegal reporting it's position to be where another ship is...

Tuss
-----
Posted at 13:28 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, so what about taking bathes? There were a lot of laws concerning this in the list I read, ranging from people being forced to take x bathes a week to outlawing them completely!

And waht about criminals announcing their crimes?
-----
Posted at 14:23 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 11:06 on December, 1st 2002:
In Alaska, it is illegal to look down on an Elch from a plane.

Imagine the pilot or co-pilot or terrorist, who has entered the machine or stewardess, who must land the machine because the pilots pass out or... would look on an elk during they fly the plant.

Quote:
Most Middle Eastern countries recognize the following Islamic law: "After having sexual relations with a lamb, it is a mortal sin to eat its flesh." (Umm OK, I'm sure the lamb appreciates that one)

In case I am a sheep in the Middle Easter, I would prefer the death...
Posted at 14:37 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Imagine the pilot or co-pilot or terrorist, who has entered the machine or stewardess, who must land the machine because the pilots pass out or... would look on an elk during they fly the plane.
I can imagine that. And what now?
-----
Posted at 14:51 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Taking baths must be something from the wild west era. That's just a guess, though...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 15:34 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 16:37 on December, 2nd 2002:
I can imagine that. And what now?

I see you can't. This law saves alaska's inhabitants against inattentiveness pilots.

Quote:
Taking baths must be something from the wild west era.

When I think about some people at my work this law has still it's existence requirement.
Posted at 15:43 on December 2nd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
When I think about some people at my work this law has still it's existence requirement.
A law prohibiting to take a bath???
-----
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll