Game:

The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Reviewed Games - Comments / Discussion - The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

Posted at 12:00 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
My name is Guybrush Threepwood. I want to be a pirate. What, you don't know what I'm talking about? Where have you been since 1990? The only excuse I will accept is this: searching treasure on a cut-off island with vegetarian cannibals, a hermit waiting to be rescued even though he has already built a boat and a giant monkey head!

Read more...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:00 on October 7th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dueling insults was one of the most creative ways to get around violence in games I have ever seen and one of the funniest too.

Just when you think you seen the best part of this game another scene comes along that is even better and it plays like that all the way thru the entire game.

This was a great time for computer games. I only hope that some day designers learn how get past the traps of building games for the graphics and special effects instead of designing them foremost to be entertaining and fun.
Posted at 12:39 on March 11th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Was there even a secret on Monkey Island?
Posted at 12:46 on March 11th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There is... but if you knew what it was, it wouldn't be a secret, would it?
-----
Posted at 13:06 on March 11th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
If I got any other kind of answer I was planning to say "If it's known, there it is not a secret". But seriously, Ron Gilbert said there is really a secret of Monkey Island, just I suppose it's a reference that only makes sense to him.
Posted at 12:59 on May 15th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
"The Secret of Monkey Island" ist für mich persönlich DER Adventure-Klassiker schlechthin. Auch, wenn das Spiel heute fast 20 Jahre alt ist, lohnt es sich immernoch: Eine Athmosphäre, die fast alle modernen Spiele in die Tasche steckt, genialer Humor, der auch als Text gut rüber kommt, perfekte Rätsel, interessante Schauplätze... Die Liste ließe sich fortführen.
Posted at 16:41 on May 15th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fast 20 Jahre? In welchem Jahr lebst du denn? ;)
-----
Posted at 17:05 on May 29th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Quote:
LucasArts' saga of graphic adventures from the 90s are praised for their quality in all departments (design, gameplay, graphics, sound, etc.), and obviously that was only possible by gathering a staff of very talented desginers, programmers, artists and musicians. In this last case, Michael Land's talent is unquestionable. You only have to listen to his soundtracks to appreciate it.

Read more...
-----
- Seth of Gold -
Posted at 21:52 on January 23rd, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
yes the old monkey island that was a real cult game
Posted at 12:34 on January 6th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Ask yourself: What can be said about a game that has become a legend? You either know about The Secret of Monkey Island, and chances are that if you are reading these lines you do so by heart. Or you spent your life in a bubble far away from computer games of the pre-Internet era and do not care about them anyway. The game must have been analyzed to death by now, each and every detail investigated and explained. It would come at no surprise if the there even have been scientific papers written about it. Top it of with a plethora of personal stories connected to the game and it must have outgrown its humble beginnings by far.

Read more...
-----
Dear Sir, I object strongly with the last thread, and the next post.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll