The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - 21st Century Oldies revived
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 1234

21st Century Oldies revived

Posted at 15:34 on December 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Took me a while, but a new version of the site is now on-line. You won't find any downloads there anymore, but the reviews and extra info are much more detailed.

If you find any wrong information, please let me know. I will ignore you for the next three weeks, though, while I enjoy seeing my family in Slovakia.

Everybody have a nice holidays!
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 18:09 on December 16th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Weeee! A few of the button graphics are broken, but of course you won't know this until 3 weeks from now. ;)

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 05:19 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As someone who has seen the different stages of it quite some time ago already (bragging mode...), I don't think I have to comment much on the general idea. I'll compile a list of all errors I find, and it will be a long one :cunning:
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:05 on December 17th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First part of the list of questionable things:

-Statements such as "Needs a slowdown utility" (Abrahams Battle Tank and others) should be specified because it obviously depends on the user's computer. At least, you should add the specs of your 'test system' somewhere.

-Acquire: Year: 0

-Akalabeth: typo: "?save the world?" (I'm not going to mention all typos now, but this could be a problem of database programming)

-Ancients II: Year: 0

-Battletech: "In 1988, Infocom still ruled the gaming world" doesn't quite go along with "1987 - Activision acquires Infocom"

-Chessmaster 2000: missing signature

-Command HQ: published by Microplay

-Defender of the Crown: "?shaking?" (same error as Akalabeth); extremely ugly screenshots (:P); remake was developed by clickBOOM (not an error, just extra information)

-Hero Quest: clearly credited to "Gremlin Graphics Limited" on the title screen; "(especially the Amiga one, as usually)" - of course, but what is the "Commodore version" you're talking about before? Amiga was Commodore at that time, too; even though the board game indeed was quite popular in Germany, not all expansion sets were released here - I found information about some I never saw on some English sites

-Ishar 3: " Sir-Tech, while well known, based its Realms of Arkania series on the Das Schwarze Auge German role-playing series." Sir-Tech was only the publisher of the PC version in the USA (Amiga version for example published by US Gold), the series was developed by Attic who also published it in Germany

-King's Quest I: Quest For The Crown: the game's real name is "King's Quest: Quest For The Crown" :P

-when writing "Platform: Windows", you should maybe specify which version it was made for

-Might and Magic I: The Secret of Inner Sanctum: real name: "Might and Magic: The Secret of Inner Sanctum"

-Mortal Kombat 1: real name is "Mortal Kombat"

-Tales of the Unknown: Bard's Tale I: real name probably "Tales of the Unknown: Bard's Tale"

-Wizardry I: real name: "Wizardry"
-----
Posted at 08:59 on December 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, guess what. I'm able to lurk a little today ;).

Anyway, thanks for all the tips so far. I'm unable to upload anything, so fixes at the site are not possible for the moment, but I'll do it locally and upload when I come back.

To some specific issues:

1. Those "0" for years are when I put a question mark (didn't know the year). I should solve that easily by replacing the "0" with a "?" in the page code.

2. The typos in Akalabeth and DotC (those question marks) are originally quotation marks. I've got a PHP for Dummies book with me; should find a way to fix it...

3. Hero Quest and credits... This issue will come up more often, and so far I haven't found a solution. In order to make the process of adding games more streamlined, I only use the most common name for a publisher. If you look under Gremlin, you'll find "Gremlin Graphics" among the alternative names. I'll try to figure something out.

Mappy holidays everybody.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:50 on December 23rd, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
2. You should look at the functions htmlentities() and/or addslashes() maybe.

3. Yes, I see the problem. In the case of Gremlin, it'll come up very often, because through the whole 80s, they went under the name of Gremlin Graphics! I assume you have the actual name of the publisher in the field of the games table. Then you compare it to the company table. If that is right, you could just do a second comparison with the 'alternate names' field of the companies table in case the comparison with the 'name' didn't come up with a result.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:13 on December, 23rd 2002
-----
Posted at 13:50 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I was just browsing around in the PC pages of The Good Old Days, more precisely the simulation section, when a typo similar to the ones at 21st Century Oldies caught my eye... In the short preview of the review for the game 'Der Planer' it says: "Oh, that?s a pity"...

Upon closer inspection, I noticed several game reviews had the same kind of typos: Airline, Gunship 2000, Aces Of The Deep, Aces Of The Pacific, Aces Over Europe, Das Boot, Great Naval Battles 4; and then I just quit looking... I have no idea why these typos are only in some games, maybe you imported them from an older version of the page or something, I don't know, just thought I'd signal it.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 15:30 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks for telling me! All these reviews have one thing in common: they were written by our late crewmember Adhoc who always used a French accent (like on é ) instead of a normal apostrophe. That is why it appears incorrectly for everyone who doesn't have the same default character set as he used. Will correct what I can find later.

Just one question (out of pure curiosity): why are you browsing the PC section? There is nothing worthwile to see there :P

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:35 on December, 24th 2002
-----
Posted at 17:20 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Unlike you, creo, there are a lot of us dudes who still like PC-games as much as Roms or even moreso so... :P
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 17:55 on December 24th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
What do roms have to do with this?
-----
Posted at 04:19 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Mr Creosote: Just one question (out of pure curiosity): why are you browsing the PC section? There is nothing worthwile to see there :P
It was Christmas Eve, is it obvious I was bored? During the long pauses in the huge menu we always have, I practically re-read the entire site... :)
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 10:14 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Unlike you, creo, there are a lot of us dudes who still like PC-games as much as Roms or even moreso so...

Have you forgotten about the announcement? Sheesh!

Tuss
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 14:59 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Mole: went through all the Adhoc-added games and replaced all wrong characters I could find with proper ones. There are certainly still some wrong ones left, but I hope these will pass as typos rather than errors in the system ;)

Pada: because you were online since my post which was referring to you, but didn't reply, I'll repeat my question: What do roms have to do with this?
-----
Posted at 18:04 on December 25th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Creo, I'm ashamed to admit that that particular post (and the other ones made at approx the same time) were made whilst I wasn't what you would call sober... :embarassed: I just came home from a Christmas-thingy at my father's place where the wine was a bit to jummy...As soon as I remember what I meant by that post, I'll let you all know... Sorry for the inconvience...
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 05:32 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
hehe - you're forgiven ;)
-----
Posted at 14:24 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
You know, you really are kind and forgiving for someone who's bent on being evil :P
-----
Posted at 14:27 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I've forgiven you because I know this alcoholism will get you straight to hell and thus under my rule :evil:
-----
Posted at 14:29 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Sorry but no... The reason I was drunk was 'cause I hardly ever drink anymore so I won't go to hell for alcoholism (I will for a load of other stuff though like not believing in heaven or hell :))
-----
Posted at 14:33 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
If you hardly drink anymore, you'll go to hell sooner than you think - because every human being needs a certain amount of fluid a day (between one and two litres) to survive :P
-----
Posted at 14:36 on December 26th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
yes, but you do not need to drink to absorb fluids... If I eat a piece of meat, I absorb the fluids held within too and that's eating, not drinking ;)
-----
» Multiple Pages: 1234
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll