The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Trekkies only
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Trekkies only

Posted at 03:59 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Opinion poll about the new movie "Nemesis".

I feel not forced to see it, but a little interest exists.
Posted at 05:33 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Check out the second page of the Movies Thread; I've reviewed it there ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 06:29 on January 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Oh, i must have overlooked it.
Posted at 04:15 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
I saw the movie yesterday the review I put in here is written in german (mailed to a friend) and was translated by an online-translator (I am to idle). Nevertheless I hope you can understand it:

- New races are simply imputed, what is in principle in the long of the universe OK, but in the investigated Alpha Quadrant? On the territory of the Federation?

- this unexplored race possesses by chance also Buggies, a model not very dissimilar to the federation's model (secret weapon delivery of the federation how America does it with various countries? This would be real subtle social criticism!) and attack with it because new races / trunks / peoples are reflected (etc) in action-packed films always hostilely, the outside team immediately.

- Datas brother (who appears dramaturgical simply out of nothing) should, because of his stage of development, look childish and this becomes fatal, because he shows emotions. A Fauxpas not to be forgiven (which surpasses other, minimal 'mistakes', as for example the arm, which touch Worf. How can he do this, without an impulse from the positronic brain?)

- The Romulan in the movie behave politically completely diametrically to the Romulan of the series. Rather like malicious Klingon, or how Cardassians. The subtle differentiation of the races and their characteristics, which was constructed so laboriously in DS9, is simply messed up here, only to construct necessary, but always stumpiness god-bad-dualism, typical for an action-packed movie.

- Romulus has reminded me more of an arbitrary city in Star Wars (everywhere something whirrs hectically in the air) and the romulan senate was represented/designed so unkind. And the complete senate is murdered and because Romulus resembles a militarian dictatorship, this is apparently full accepted by the people(like above already meantioned, that fits more to Cardassia than Romulan).

- This forced humor should probably be for fans who might feel then 'sophisticated'. About every character more or less is done (from whom also always, but often by Picard) a joke, to the character's cliché corresponding. Ho, ho!

I have not even enumerated the thousand of other details which were wrong in accordance with the self-forced Star-Trek-Laws.
Posted at 08:19 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
A good example of why online translators stink for whatever language you are trying to do.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 09:01 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
If you'd speak German, you'd understand it ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:04 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Oh I understand it, it is just horrible grammer. Probably what the Japaenese use when they translate their games instead of getting a professional translator :P
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 11:14 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
The Japanese do hire professional translators. And that's the problem... ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 16:58 on February 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I guess every language has its good and its bad translators. English to German for example: Microprose ( "Deutsche(n) festnehmen Rom" ) or The Simpsons ( "Ich schwöre nicht" ).
-----
Posted at 00:16 on February 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 00? on February, 7th 2003:
The Simpsons ( "Ich schwöre nicht" ).

In which context?
Posted at 03:23 on February 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
For example, Flanders sitting alone in the church after his house was destroyed by a hurricane: "Ich trinke nicht, ich spiele nicht, ich schwöre nicht." (I don't drink, I don't gamble, I don't swear). Obviously, swear is supposed to mean "fluchen" here, but they translated it wrong.
Posted at 07:32 on February 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In addition, there are several times Marge tells Bart "Nicht schwören" (don't swear).
-----
Posted at 13:14 on February 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Being what you could call a "Trekkie", I understood next to nothing of that translation...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 02:52 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I'll take the German version thanks, this is just hurting my head :pain:
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll