The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The 80s revival continues
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

The 80s revival continues

Posted at 08:03 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
After Transformers, Masters of the Universe, G.I.Joe, Thundercats and more, yet another 80s show is being resurrected: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Like the other shows (With the exception of G.I.Joe), however, this one is also greatly influenced by Japanese animation :pain:. Aren't there any good western artists left anymore?
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 12:09 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Aren't there any good western artists left anymore?
There are, but they're not involved in lines which are built around toys originally ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:26 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Aren't there any good western artists left anymore?

There are, but any kid under 13, Anime is the big thing. Even the quality of the Anime keeps going down hill but the kids still eat it up anyway. The new thing is YuGiOh or something that you have to buy cards for. I never thought shows based around a product could be so succesful. This is the case at least around here.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 14:32 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Tuss just outed himself as an Anime fan :pain:
-----
Posted at 15:27 on January 27th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Good :p
-----
Posted at 01:14 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You pervert!
-----
Posted at 06:31 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, Anime is not perverted. Manga is, and there's a huge difference between those two ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 06:40 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Manga = pictures of deformed schoolgirls' panties
Anime = 'panning shots' over still Manga pictures

Anyway, to get back on topic, has anyone else read the new Masters of the Universe comic? It's quite dull and uninteresting - and not accessable to anyone but 'old fans' at all. Evil-Lyn is presented as the main villainess, but her name isn't even mentioned in the first issue!
-----
Posted at 06:48 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've gotten the first issue the other day, and still don't know what to think of it. it seems that orko is playing a much more important role than in the original series, Evil-Lyn is indeed the main villain, and overall, the comics is headed into the direction of an "Origins" spinn-off. I decided not to get issue No. 2.

Edited by NetDanzr at 14:49 on January, 28th 2003
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 06:57 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
the comics is headed into the direction of an "Origins" spinn-off
How right you are..... a mini-series about the origins of the main characters has already been announced!

Quote:
orko is playing a much more important role than in the original series
Actually, to the new readers, it has to look as if Orko is the main hero! He has the central scenes of the story, he's titled a "mighty magician" - while He-Man is degraded to an unsuccessful firefighter.

Quote:
I decided not to get issue No. 2.
I will buy it, but I doubt it'll get much better. The funny thing is actually that all the old fans are raving how great the comic is and how it'll help the series to get successful with today's kids and so on. Whenever I tell them I haven't heard of a single positive reaction about it from 'non-fans', they either don't believe it or simply call me a liar - it seems they're so starved for new stuff that they don't see how mediocre the writing is and how it is completely incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't know the old line or the new cartoon..... :(
-----
Posted at 07:12 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Wow, I'm good. Didn't know about the origin series (of course, I rely on you for this kind of news ;)).

Speaking of the "unsuccessful firefighter" - what is the name of that firefighter guy whose head looks like that of a mechanical elephant? I seem to recall him in one of the pannels; I used to have an action figure of him.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 07:33 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That would be Snout Spout. The other firefighters wearing the same armour as his classic one is actually one of the references I like, because it doesn't hurt anyone, but brings back a few memories for 'old-timers'. Snout Spout is one of the worst classic action figures of the line though, basically the same as Kobra Khan and Dragon Blaster Skeletor when it comes to special features ;)
-----
Posted at 08:37 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I remember me and my friends filling him with milk instead of water and raping all the females with him ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 08:47 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, really? All the females? That would be..... three on the whole :P And I don't think you really understood the point of the series ;)
-----
Posted at 09:03 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
According to a recent document on the 80s, at VH1 (a music station in the US, something like VIVA):

"Masters of the Universe was probably the most homoerotic show ever to be shown on TV."

I think I did get the point ;).

And you are wrong - there were four females (at least so many figures we had): She-ra, Teela, Evil-Lyn and The Sorceress :P
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:06 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Wrong: She-Ra isn't part of the Masters of the Universe line, but she belongs to Princess of Power, a series full of females - exactly the reversed situation of "MOTU".

Quote:
homoerotic
I doubt raping women fits into this description ;)
-----
Posted at 09:13 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I know, but those were the four action figures we had and could play with ;)

And I know raping women doesn't fit that description, but being it a homoerotic show, they wouldn't get laid otherwise ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:28 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr at 17:13 on January, 28th 2003:

And I know raping women doesn't fit that description, but being it a homoerotic show, they wouldn't get laid otherwise ;).
Why not? They have each other :P Besides, do you want to insinuate they'd rather want to be raped than having no sex at all?
-----
Posted at 09:34 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Tuss just outed himself as an Anime fan

Ohhhhhhh! I misunderstood what you said here. I thought you meant that I hated anime.
-----
Posted at 09:43 on January 28th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yeah, right. That comes a bit too late :P
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll