The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Which OS are you?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

Which OS are you?

Posted at 09:48 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Kind of a weird thought... Nice test anyway: http://bbspot.com/News/2003/01/os_quiz.php

My own result can be found in the attachment. Will have to check that OS out ;)
Attachment: *****
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:09 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 12:57 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Thank god it wasn't Win ME.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 13:07 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Thank god it wasn't Win ME.
Hey, there could have been worse outcomes - you could have been Windows XP ;)
-----
Posted at 13:46 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 23:20 on February 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Now I wonder, what the hell is TRSDOS? Must have passed it by somewhere... :)

Edited by The Mole at 07:21 on February, 20th 2003
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 04:04 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Palm OS

Someone would have been hurting if I ended up with Win ME:P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 04:10 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
TRSDOS was the operating system on the TRS-80 computer - that was in 1981/82.
-----
Posted at 04:39 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby

Oh my god! This Test can't be representatively!
Posted at 04:50 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Why? You have been using this for years, haven't you? It has certainly influenced your character :evil: Oh well, at least you admitted it - satan knows how many other people in fact got some 'Windows' result ;)
-----
Posted at 05:21 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've never used OS/2. In fact, I remember reading a paragraph or two about it in a book a long time ago, but forgot by now what it was about. How can this test be representative???
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 05:29 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Why shouldn't it be? It's not necessary to have used an OS to be like it. This test is about your personality, not your past experience (which can of course influence your personality, but that's secondary).
-----
Posted at 07:58 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 12:50 on February, 20th 2003:

Why? You have been using this for years, haven't you? It has certainly influenced your character :evil: Oh well, at least you admitted it - satan knows how many other people in fact got some 'Windows' result ;)

But I've used SuSE just the same time. I'm afraid that Windows is as powerfull as TV: Your thinking is reduced to a minimum, so you adapt everything without reflecting what you see.

I hope it's not too late... I just dismissed my job. Now I'm not longer forced to use Windows.
Posted at 08:16 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Bah. SUSE sucks. Following the recommendation of this test (hey, this was actually worth it ;)), I'm now running Vector Linux which is based on Slackware, but without all the bloat of the currect mainstream distributions and with the perfect compromise between automation and accessability. At least after using it for a day, it looks way better than all the others I tried (that includes SUSE, RedHat, Debian and even Arclinux (the worst of all)).
-----
Posted at 08:58 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I guess I've got to give Arclinux a try. ;) What's so bad about it?
Posted at 09:06 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First of all, it's incredibly slow. But that's of course related to my old computer and I think it's mostly KDE's fault.

In addition, it doesn't let the user do or change anything! It installs all automatically without even asking what should be installed (and so on). It does have sort of the 'right' applications by default (i.e. you can easily live with the choice and it's also not as bloated as for example RedHat), but as soon as I wanted to install anything myself, I ran into severe problems!

Arclinux is compatible with RedHat RPMs, so the choice of software is huge. The shared libraries which are installed by default are only just enough for the default programs though. There is an extra CD which promises to add the 'common' libraries needed for additional software, but even after installing all of it, I still had to install at least 3 (the worst case was 10) library packages per program I installed. I had to search for those myself of course...

Furthermore, I couldn't get it to connect to the Internet via DSL properly. It worked, but only if I activated the connection on bootup already, i.e. it is impossible to run it without connecting to the Internet (different for Modem or ISDN users of course).

On the whole, I'd say this is a distribution for people who know nothing about computers, want an installation without any fuss and then they're satisfied with the system they got - customization or upgrading is incredibly hard.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:08 on February, 20th 2003
-----
Posted at 09:21 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Furthermore, I couldn't get it to connect to the Internet via DSL properly. It worked, but only if I activated the connection on bootup already, i.e. it is impossible to run it without connecting to the Internet (different for Modem or ISDN users of course).

I had the same problem when I upgraded to Mandrake 9.0 some days ago. It only worked when I set up the connection for the first time, but not after cancelling and trying to dial in again. Then I tried automatic connection while booting, and it worked. However, I don't want to be online all the time.

After reading you had the same problem, I think it's possibly KDE which causes it. Did you use the default connection tool (KPPP), too?

Edited by Tapuak at 17:28 on February, 20th 2003
Posted at 09:34 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I tried everything they provided. KPPP never worked with DSL, no matter what distribution. The same problem existed in RedHat, but there, I could at least dial and disconnect through the general network settings. Now, I'm using RP-PPPoE which is incredibly easy to set up and does exactly what it should.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:35 on February, 20th 2003
-----
Posted at 17:32 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 21:07 on February, 19th 2003:

Hey, there could have been worse outcomes - you could have been Windows XP ;)
Actually, believe it or not, I like Win XP.....when compared to win ME. I wish I was either DOS, Linux, or Win 98SE, though...yeah, that'd kick arse.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 18:28 on February 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You get the best of all available result and still you complain? Sheesh, youth of today :doubt:
-----
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll