The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Do you like Point and Click adventures?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Do you like Point and Click adventures?

Vote:
Yes.
No.
I'm very sensitive about my opinion, and want it kept secret. I also have 6 feet on my left toe.
Posted at 11:06 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I know we had a discussion about this, but I was wondering if you people are against Point and Click adventures in general, or just the King's Quest games specifically.

If you do like point and click adventures, what is your favorite? My personal favorite is Beneath a Steel Sky.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 12:48 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I don't like them. Can't say that I'm against the genre whatsoever, but I never managed to finish the fifth of any adventure games like King Quest. Way too boring for me.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 14:05 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
My opinion is a secret. It can't be found anywhere on the Internet! :cunning:

(I'm also intrigued by the idea of having any feet on my toes...)

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:39 on March, 07th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:36 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I like them. Of course, "point and click games" is a very wide category, and as elsewhere else, there are good and bad titles. As such, you can say that in average, I'm indifferent to point-and-click adventures. I play those I like, I don't play those I don't like, and the fact that a game is a point-and-click adventure does not mean that I would buy it.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 17:24 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Well, NetDanzr, do you like Beneath a Steel Sky? That's my favorite, bar none, though I admit I haven't played near all of them. The King's Quest games get boring, I'll admit, but I also think you guys don't give them their due credit.

Mr. C.: Yes, one day me and my friends were at the fair and insulting some people on the strawberries for barely spinning. One of us slipped and said "You have six feet on your left toe" and it just kind of stuck.
-----
Posted at 17:29 on March 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I'm a bit point and click fan, I have played a few of the KQ games but they were the type in comands versions not the point and click version.
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 04:39 on March 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
If you count the old Indy adventures and of course the first two parts of the Monkey Island series as 'point and click', well then I'm all for it! Also, I don't have anything in particular against the old (command-line type of) Sierra adventures, I only ever played one that was 'point and click' though, King's Quest VI; and I enjoyed it very much...
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 06:06 on March 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Beneath A Steel Sky.... that's game id 53 I think - just in case anyone wants to look it up ;)

Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:11 on March, 08th 2003
-----
Posted at 17:54 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
What do you mean by Game ID?
-----
Posted at 20:22 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
When you click on a game on the Good Old Days website the address bar will have game ID at the end in the amiga section the Game ID of beneath a steal sky is 53
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 22:59 on March 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Okay, but why is it only listed under Amiga? I've played it for my PC.

By the way, just out of sheer curiosity, Mr. C., why do you go up to 20 on your rating? I would expect a 10, 100, or 5.....but 20 just seems a bit weird.
-----
Posted at 02:09 on March 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Okay, but why is it only listed under Amiga?
Why not? I haven't played a PC game for many months, so why I should I add any to the site? You might as well ask why many other games are listed in the PC section when most of them are also available for (or have even been developed for) other systems - it's the reviewers choice what version he prefers. And I'm playing games on my Amiga. In addition Revolution Software (being British) developed all their games for the Amiga until 1995. Not to mention the technical problems everyone seems to have with old PC games these days - why offer or even only talk about games nobody can run?

Quote:
why do you go up to 20 on your rating
Because I think that's the best compromise between having enough different ratings to distinguish between (5 or 10 are too few, too many games get the same ratings) and still have 'enough different' between the rating (on a 100 scale, what is the different between 80 and 81?). Back when I was still reading computer games magazines, most magazines used a 100 scale. There was one which had a scale of 10, but with steps of 0.5 - so that was basically the scale I'm using. In the magazines which used 100, I always observed many ratings were never used. There was always 80, but never 81. There was always 91, but never 90. Why have such a scale if you can't use it properly anyway? Later, one magazine switch to 1-5 - and almost all games got 4. Again, what's the point? These are just my personal observations of course...

Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:49 on March, 10th 2003
-----
Posted at 05:24 on March 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Da_Goat: To be honest, I never got into Beneath a Steel Sky. I didn't get far enough to find the story appealing. Here are some of my favorites:

* Monkey Island I, II
* Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
* Normality
* Chronomaster
* Space Quest series
* Sam & Max Hit the Road
* Day of the Tentacle

In addition, I'm not really sure whether old Sierra adventures should be included into point and click adventures (yet, I'm aware I just mentioned some of them in my list), as they use a text parser and not a point and click interface. Technically, they are just text adventures, where instead of a textual descriptions of your surroundings you see their graphic representation, but otherwise they handle exactly like text-based games.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 08:36 on March 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
(5 or 10 are too few, too many games get the same ratings)
I know this is your site, but just so I can state my opinion: I prefer something like x.x (IE: 5.3). Still, I understand why you're using 20 now.
-----
Posted at 14:34 on March 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
* Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
That isn't an adventure, but a slideshow of pictures - or an 'interactive movie' if you want to use the formerly hip term. An adventure needs puzzles, that game doesn't have any (talking to everyone several times and always saying everything doesn't count as a puzzle).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:02 on March, 10th 2003
-----
Posted at 05:12 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Riiight... It's got about as many puzzles as the Indiana Jones adventure games and Gabriel Knight series :P. When I want puzzles, I play Pandora's Box or something similar; when I play adventure games, I want adventures ;)
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 07:25 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
It's got about as many puzzles as the Indiana Jones adventure games
You obviously overlooked the premise: talking to everyone several times and always saying everything doesn't count as a puzzle.
Quote:
When I want puzzles, I play Pandora's Box or something similar; when I play adventure games, I want adventures
And there you admit it.

In addition, that 'game' has one of the most annoying protagonists ever - if I met such an asshole in real life, I'd punch him in the face!
-----
Posted at 08:43 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I have to agree - the protagonist wasn't the most likeable one. However, the girl still ranks on the top of my list of the hottest girls in gaming :D

And as for the puzzles, there still were a few of them. I remember that actually the one with the goat was pretty frustrating, till I figured it out, and the chess puzzle had a snice spin to it.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:26 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The girl is French - and the game is set in France. Can it get worse? Although the French guy (don't remember the name) who also wanted to fuck that girl was still more likable than the protagonist - in spit of being French. I don't remember that much of the first game actually - played it when it was new and it didn't leave any impression other than being boring and absolutely not demanding. I played the sequel only a year ago though and it was even worse! Whole scenes in which you can talk to ten people, but you don't have to - to 'solve' the 'scene', all you have to do is leave the screen. Great.
-----
Posted at 10:11 on March 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I tried to play the sequel, but couldn't stand it. The whole story and acting appeared to be too forced.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll