The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - 31st of December is approaching
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

31st of December is approaching

Posted at 20:09 on December 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Is there any chance that we'll see TUOL back? I still remember when people said that too many rings were bad, now we only have 2 and barely updated. Creo what do you think? Is there a possibility even if with a different crew?
Posted at 20:20 on December 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Zero interest from my side. Although I admire the fact some people are still trying to keep it up, I think rings as we used to know them are a dead concept. All the more without a number of seriously active sites which could be members. We laid TUOL to rest five years ago and I think the decision was right. Seriously: What for, apart from maybe nostalgia?
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:21 on December 15th, 2009
Posted at 20:27 on December 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
The ring might be a dead concept but I still find them useful when looking for other sites. Even if the whole abandonware scene might seem dead, new users come and go all the time. We see a great amount of websites including foreigners that might pass unnoticed if it wasn't for the rings itself.

If you give it a thought let me know, I'm interested in helping out.
Posted at 20:33 on December 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There are rings, you know them. I can't speak for them, but why not offer your help there? Wandrell talked about his idea of an exchange of resources between sites some days ago. Don't know if he really wants to organise something like that. If so, he might need help with that, too. As far as I'm concerned, this site is my involvement these days. You're welcome to contribute here, too, if you want to do something.
-----
Posted at 20:43 on December 15th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I'm always glad to contribute in whatever I can. But why not make something happen? Don't you think that if TUOL comes back that it might bring back old people as well? Maybe even give something to talk about. I think it would be a nice touch but then again you sir have the last word.
Posted at 09:34 on December 16th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Of course I can't say for sure, but I highly doubt reopening such a site would have any serious impact.

All my other attempts to motivate people to do something or give them something to talk about (doing collaborative game reviews, that review theme event or collecting disk images to name just three) were all widely ignored, too. Alright, I can't force anyone to get involved (or get involved again or get involved more).

So, yes, if I think something is worth doing, I'm doing it and ask people to join in. However, this particular suggestion is, in my opinion, not a worthwhile endeavour.
-----
Posted at 15:07 on December 16th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Ok, let me put it this way. Trying doesn't hurt anyone and if we can pull something new where users become attracted to the idea of a ring again.

And I know you are right, you can't just force anyone to get involve. Even if it's you.
Posted at 11:50 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Right now I have plenty of things to do. That's why I didn't even write reviews lately, but anything that may give a bit of life to abandonware is interesting. But note that it won't be easy to get enough people, and probably it would be easier getting help from people who aren't mixed on a webpage. Just because for example us, in need of choosing would prefer writing a new review than helping in another webpage.

Not that we are against your idea, but most of the people who can help aren't the ones already expending time on abandonware. So the first step to start a project would be getting new blood to help.
Posted at 11:54 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I agree, the thing is to find new blood the sites need to open to the public. And that's why I think a ring can help so much by sharing all these wonderful sites. Unless you know your way around the scene, you won't find sites like Smush The Cat or Arcadelady (I have nothing against these sites, just listed them as a reference) just to name a few. You can only find this looking trough AbandonwareRing's listing.

A good way to contribute is letting the public know that these sites exist.
Posted at 12:54 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Most people seem to prefer Google to find sites. Anyway, what's stopping you from opening a ring if you don't want to get involved in one of the existing ones? Wouldn't that fulfil the purpose you're talking about?
-----
Posted at 13:14 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I don't have the reputation nor the skills to start my own ring. If I go and apply for any ring they'll just simply reject me anyways.
Posted at 13:19 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by marhasan at 15:07 on December 16th, 2009:
Ok, let me put it this way. Trying doesn't hurt anyone and if we can pull something new where users become attracted to the idea of a ring again.
-----
Posted at 13:23 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
That was intended to you.
Posted at 13:27 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, so trying (even if it's only asking someone running a ring whether one can join in) only doesn't hurt if it's me trying?
-----
Posted at 13:32 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
That was not the point of my quoted statement. I meant sharing ideas to create something useful where users can become associated to the scene.
Posted at 13:40 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes. Yet, now I'm telling you it can't hurt to ask the people running rings whether you can help. To which you reply in a completely fatalistic way. It can't hurt to ask!
-----
Posted at 13:43 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I know because I've tried in the past. They are "not interested" in any help at the moment was the answer. Why bother? Ha, they update their rings every couple of days even weeks and they don't need any help. That's the kind of people you meet here.

One of my suggestions is to include abandonware into social media. Who doesn't use those services now days?
-----
Edited by marhasan at 13:44 on December 18th, 2009
Posted at 13:50 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by marhasan at 13:43 on December 18th, 2009:
One of my suggestions is to include abandonware into social media. Who doesn't use those services now days?

Me ;)
-----
Posted at 13:56 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Hehe... you are one of a kind my friend.
Posted at 14:03 on December 18th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
No but seriously, even if you don't feel like running a ring anymore why wouldn't you let someone else run it? TUOL has a great reputation after all these years.
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll