The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Errant Newspaper Ads
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Errant Newspaper Ads

Posted at 10:52 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Okay, I just have to rant and rave about this, and get this off my chest. Today there was a half page ad in the newspaper, and it made me a bit angry. It said something along the lines of this:

"On September 11th, 2001, the Israelies mourned in silence and peace"
(Picture of fire in dark night, people praying around the fire)
"On Spetember 11th, 2001, the Palestinians celebrated in delight"
(Picture of Palestinians jumping around happy)
(At bottom, in red bold print)
"THERE ARE TWO SIDES, BUT ONLY ONE TRUTH"

Okay, now, who the hell thinks they are so smart as to make this ad. hmm, it seems like Campus Truth did. You can even see the ad there. What are they trying to prove? It baffles me to a great extent. They are only provoking, and it makes no sense. You think you'd want to decrease tensions between two groups of people, but I guess not. It just bewilders me so much I'm not even sure how to describe it.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 13:48 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
THERE ARE TWO SIDES, BUT ONLY ONE TRUTH
And what might this truth be? It's quite telling that they seem to assume they've made a clear statement with this ad, but I'm really not sure how to interpret it... :confused:

Edited by Mr Creosote at 22:51 on April, 18th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:34 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I see nothing wrong....
Posted at 23:20 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Look at some of their other adds and consider the information on their opening page

Quote:
We are disturbed by the false accusations and untruths being told by many in the Arab world and perpetuated by the American and foreign media, such as the erroneously reported "massacre" in Jenin and the heinous accusations of Jews using Arab blood to bake holiday pastries.

from what I see they are against the propaganda spered by the worlds media, look at their add about Abed A-Basta Uda's suicide attack, governments indirectly pay families if a member of their family commit a suicide attack on Israelis, thats why their houses get bulldozed.
I agree with Shadow I see nothing wrong with the add
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 05:04 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I see nothing wrong....
That's the saddest thing I've ever heard! You two call some of what the media tells 'propaganda', but at the same time, you believe in the other propaganda (showing celebrating Arabs)?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:09 on April, 19th 2003
-----
Posted at 06:24 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
No i beleive both sides propaganda is stupid and my quote shows example of both sides using propaganda, maybe the add did go a bit far but the example I gave from their other add is fact. So believe what you want Mr. C, but noone in their right mind believes anyhting that is shown by any media source nowadays.
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 10:37 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm not really happy about the way they are trying to get their message across, but I've got nothing against their efforts. The truth (no pun intended) is that the political correctness in the US and elsewhere is preventing people from questioning certain facts, especially if those facts are in favor of the underdogs. The Jenin massacre, for example. Or that dead Palestinian boy who supposedly died in his Father's arms, which later proved to be staged. It is ironical that the so-called "civilized" countries are claiming that it's political correctness that makes them morally superior to others, yet the same political correctness is pretty much giving the "uncivilized" people the benefit of the doubt, and an edge in their fight.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 11:00 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well, if the ad was truly against propaganda, there would indeed be nothing wrong with it. But that phrase "there are two sides bla bla..." while in fact saying nothing at all, seems to mean that you should let these pictures speak for themselves. That's pretty sick, drawing conclusions from just two pictures.

In their statement ( "Who We Are" ) they do mention all media, yes, but it's formulated in such a way that it seems as if only the Arab world is coming up with such propaganda and the media merely 'perpetuate' it. You cannot, in my opinion, look at any of the ads on that page without noticing how horribly one-sided they are. The one I find the most sickening is the one with the 'school children's heroes', it's way too easy to call something like that 'truth and accuracy', as if every single Arab child 'wants' to become a suicide bomber. And that super-annoying pretentious tone is present throughout the whole site.

NetDanzr: You have a point there about political correctness, but I think that in this case, it's not exactly the Arabs that are not being questioned. And I seriously believe the 'mourning Israelis' photo is just as staged as that one with the Palestinian boy. I totally agree though that it's stupid to call yourself 'morally superior' to anyone, as morals should be treated as personal and subjective.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 14:11 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I see nothing wrong with the ad. It's only an ad that mean absolutly nothing. It's utterly meaningless.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 14:51 on April 19th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
There isn't one truth - there is none. It's simple as that. That site is stupid one-sided propaganda (and therefore exactly what it claims to be against) and that's all that needs to be said.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 00:02 on April, 19th 2003
-----
Posted at 11:58 on April 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
THERE ARE TWO SIDES, BUT ONLY ONE TRUTH
Most laughable statement I've heard in a long time. ;)
Quote:
...the wanton acts of terror embraced by so many in the Arab community
Funny how they neglect to mention al the non-Arab terrorists and other dangerous movements in the world which are just as bad :bemused:
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 12:38 on April 20th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Funny how they neglect to mention al the non-Arab terrorists and other dangerous movements in the world which are just as bad
And let's not forget that the people who claim this presumably have never been to an Arab country or even only met an Arab ;)
-----
Posted at 06:46 on April 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 23:51 on April, 19th 2003:

There isn't one truth - there is none.

Okay. I must admit this was a little too deep for me. My head is about to explode...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 10:14 on April 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr at 15:46 on April, 21st 2003:

Okay. I must admit this was a little too deep for me. My head is about to explode...
You're probably one of those people who believe the truth is out there somewhere. You can stop searching now, there is nothing to find :evil:
-----
Posted at 12:12 on April 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Thanks for dashing all my childhood and adolescent dreams, Mr Creosote :P
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 12:45 on April 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You're welcome :)
-----
Posted at 05:30 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I believe every truth is someones truth. The situations portayed in the media most of the time are true, but it's not the whole picture. It is one individual's view on something. I completely agree with Mr.C's statement.

Edited by Thermin at 13:31 on April, 30th 2003
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll