The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Republicans and Democrats
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Republicans and Democrats

Posted at 19:21 on April 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Okay, this is not supposed to be another US bashing thread, I'm seriously interested in a question concerning US politics.

As we all know, there are two major political parties in the USA: Republicans and Democrats. No third party has managed to achieve a signifying amount of power yet. Now my question is: Where are the real differences between these two parties? From an outside view, it is hard to discover any differences besides rhetoric at all, especially in international politics. Probably the difference can be seen in "everyday politics" that is hardly visible in other countries? Probably there are major differences in fact, they're just not known worldwide?
Posted at 21:11 on April 23rd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I wish I were kidding, but I seriously doubt if there were any differences. Sure, they might SAY different things before election, but when they get there, they do the same thing. Would have Gore attacked Iraq? Most likely. Would have Bush gone into Serbia? Probably. Of course there are smaller issues that they disagree on (Abortion and Affirmative Action, off the top of my head) but, international policy seems the same. I have to add that it seems that policy differs more from canidate to canidate than party to party.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 02:04 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Sure, they might SAY different things before election
Like what? I think this is exactly what Tapuak's question was aiming at and to be honest, I don't have a clue about that, either...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:17 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
There are a few differences between them. If I were cynical, I'd simply say that each party is being corrupted by a different set of lobbyists. However, the only real difference I can see is that the Republicans are slightly more moralistic and the Democrats are slightly more laid-back (one of the reasons Gore didn't win was that he wasn't your typical Democrat).

Anyway, politics in the US is being achieved through a different channel - lobbying. Political parties are pretty much useless there, and their main function is to serve as a deterrent against the other party. Politicians can be threatened by being voted out of the office and replaced by a similar guy from the other party.

Another important issue to remember is the decentralized nature of the US political system. Often, local politicians are much more important for people's daily lives than federal-level politicians. On a local level, there is plenty of competition; for example, our county has representatives of six parties in its governing body - the Republicans, Democrats, Green, Freeholders, Libertarian and Independents (well, the last isn't really a party).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 07:56 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss: Sure, they might SAY different things before election, but when they get there, they do the same thing.

That's exactly the point I don't understand. I mean, the people are not that dumb. They will notice if somebody makes different promises before an election and does the same as his competitor afterwards. There must be a reason why certain groups of the population "traditionally" vote for a certain party/candidate of a party, such as "workers" usually vote for the Democrats. If the choice did not matter at all, there wouldn't be such a tradition most likely. Therefore I think there must be a basic difference in some issue that justifies this tradition.

Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr: However, the only real difference I can see is that the Republicans are slightly more moralistic and the Democrats are slightly more laid-back (one of the reasons Gore didn't win was that he wasn't your typical Democrat).

Yes, that possibly is a difference. However, it's just a difference in the way a decision is made. If the actions are the same in the end, it doesn't really matter if the decision is based on moral or on pragmatism.

Quote:
Anyway, politics in the US is being achieved through a different channel - lobbying. Political parties are pretty much useless there, and their main function is to serve as a deterrent against the other party.

Of course parties are less powerful than in other countries. But you can apply my question to lobbying, too. Why does a company (or whatever) support a Democrate candidate and not a Rebublican one (or vice versa) if they represent the same policy anyway?
Posted at 08:35 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
As for tradition, African Americans are "supposed" to vote for Democrats, as they are known as supporting civil rights (as if the Republicans don't... I dunno...) and rich white guys are suppose to vote for Republicans because they're known to give more tax breaks to the rich.

Republicans are suppose to be quite Christain, and I'm not really sure how to explain that. Democrats are suppose to be for "the working man!".

In theory, the economic belief for each one is that the Republicans say that if we insert money to large companies, the money will trickle down to the working man. The Democrats say if we give the working man money, they'll spend it, and the buisnesses will do better. Republicans are supposed to be against welfare, believe that one should "pull theirselves up by their own bootstraps" while Democrats are suppose to think welfare is a good idea. A mixed government will produce disasterous results like this sometimes, as Michigan's Welfare to Work program shows, and the end result is kids killing each other in school.

More and more people are saying that they vote Independant, which means that they vote on a race by race basis as to which party they'll vote for. Of course there is still a lot of people who don't even care about the races, and they'll go vote just so they can flip the Republican or Democrat lever, the lever that votes you all Republican or Democrat, which I've never seen a race where all the Republicans would make good canidates for the seats or vice versa. Ususally people inherit this voting behavior from their parents.

Quote:
he Republicans, Democrats, Green, Freeholders, Libertarian and Independents (well, the last isn't really a party)

Must be nice, I don't even remember the last time an Independent was on the ballot, let alone any other party.
-----
Posted at 08:36 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, they support both. If you look at large companies, such as oil and tobacco producers, they spend millions on both Republicans and Democrats. Most money, however, is still invisible. Companies give money to lobby groups, which later distribute the money to various politicians. However, while companies need to show how much money they gave to a lobby group in their acoounting, lobby groups, as non-profit organizations, don't need to do that, and thus you'll never know which group supports which politician, and to what extent. It's quite possible that all the money is stpread roughly equally throughout both parties.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 08:37 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Tuss: Well, I was talking about county and township governments, not about the state senate. Even though you get other than the two major parties into New Jersey senate as well, from time to time...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 09:48 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
they are known as supporting civil rights (as if the Republicans don't... I dunno...)
Well, last thing I heard about that was the "Republicans" abolishing or castrating most 'civil rights'. But then again, so did the "Democrats" before them, so we're back to the question where the difference is...

Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:51 on April, 24th 2003
-----
Posted at 11:13 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Actually, they support both. If you look at large companies, such as oil and tobacco producers, they spend millions on both Republicans and Democrats.

But of course. If you don't spend the money on the politicians, who's going to give you the tax breaks, etc...?

Quote:
Well, I was talking about county and township governments, not about the state senate.

I was talking about county and township governments too...
-----
Posted at 13:41 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In that case I must say you live in a weird neighborhood :P
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 15:11 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
In theory, the economic belief for each one is that the Republicans say that if we insert money to large companies, the money will trickle down to the working man. The Democrats say if we give the working man money, they'll spend it, and the buisnesses will do better.
That pretty much sums up the 'classic' role of the two biggest parties in Germany, too. Just that it isn't valid here today anymore. Both these parties follow the first ideology 100%.
-----
Posted at 19:12 on April 24th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tuss: In theory, the economic belief for each one is that the Republicans say that if we insert money to large companies, the money will trickle down to the working man. The Democrats say if we give the working man money, they'll spend it, and the buisnesses will do better.

That would be a basic difference in fact, if it wasn't theory. ;) Because, if the parties are equally supported by the same lobbies as Netdanzr said, this difference will never have a practical effect. Lobbyist will force them to go for the first way anyway.

Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote: That pretty much sums up the 'classic' role of the two biggest parties in Germany, too. Just that it isn't valid here today anymore. Both these parties follow the first ideology 100%.

Yes, and it's the same paradox in Germany that some people still regularly vote for the same party although it hardly differs from another (and it does not represent their aims anyway).
Posted at 11:58 on April 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anyway, in an article I've read today, I found a pretty good definition of the main difference between Republicans and Democrats. Simply substitute "conservatives" for "Republicans" and "liberals" for "Democrats".

Quote:
At root, the conservatives want the same power over people?s lives as the liberals. Where the liberal wants to control your life at the workplace and the cash register, the conservative thinks he has a right to dictate what goes on in your bedroom.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll