The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - abandonia - an other great place for old DOS games
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

abandonia - an other great place for old DOS games

Posted at 19:25 on January 10th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Hi,

while looking for DOS Games I found abandonia.com. I think it's a great site for downloading old games, too.

OK I guess the site is already well known, but if someone not knowing this site it is defenatly worth a visit.

Similar to the goodolddays.net they don't only offer a download of the games, they also do habe some nice discription for the games they host as well :)
-----
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Posted at 20:56 on January 10th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Damn it... why do I always have to be the party pooper? Oh well, here it goes.

You are aware that that site is owned by a company? I.e. it is operated illegally solely for someone's profit. It is their business model to have well-meaning fans who don't know any better work for their website for free (!) in order to make money by breaking the law.

Call me a moraliser, but this is beyond good and evil in my book.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:57 on January 10th, 2012
Posted at 22:19 on January 10th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I visited a long time ago their forums. Until I found out by experience that they don't allow giving publicity of other abandonware pages, as these are warez pages (not theirs of course). That was too hypocritical for my tastes.

I can understand that being owned they are not as free to act as they would wish, but there are better ways to carry things.
Posted at 06:44 on January 11th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
I didn't know that the site is own by a company - seems a bit strange to me for such a site.

Unfortunately it seems that some of their Downloads aren't the original version or rather cracked versions of the games so that the copy protection is missing.

According to Wandrell it's a shame that they don't allow links or so to other abandon ware sites :angry:, but when it comes to downloading or repertory - I still think they are worth a look.
-----
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Posted at 11:52 on January 12th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
To me it's confusing how the page works. Ok, it's an internal thing how they are organized, but for a webpage based on contributions, it's still too obfuscated. If I recall correctly, for example, the webpage related decisions, like hiring a group of programmers to make and keep it, are not made by them, for example, but I don't have any idea who does.
Posted at 16:14 on January 12th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Wandrell at 11:52 on January 12th, 2012:
the webpage related decisions, like hiring a group of programmers to make and keep it, are not made by them, for example, but I don't have any idea who does.

The owners, obviously.
-----
Posted at 16:50 on January 12th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yes, but who are they? Because as far as I see, they are not directly related to the guy who are supposedly managing the page.

I recall when they sold that there was a reference to them being now part of some university project or some such, but nothing else.
-----
Edited by Wandrell at 16:51 on January 12th, 2012
Posted at 17:57 on January 12th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Wandrell at 16:50 on January 12th, 2012:
Yes, but who are they?

According to the footer found on the site, it is http://www.student.se/.

Quote:
Because as far as I see, they are not directly related to the guy who are supposedly managing the page.

Yes, that is why I said: As far as I know, the people who are operating the site work for that company for free, without any contract and therefore without any rights. Talk about modern slavery.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:58 on January 12th, 2012
Posted at 23:00 on January 20th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Well, I think Mr. Creosote is pretty much correct. I founded and headed Abadonia's ISO listing, but since the new company took over (or whatever it is), they wanted sole control, so they "fired" me, and removed all links to my site. This happened about 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't been back there since.

The original owner, Kosta, retired from all duties after selling the site. I think a couple of other administrators did as well. Those that remained took over the mid-level slavery operation.
-----
Posted at 16:28 on December 18th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I don't like abandonia. I like underground-gamers
Posted at 20:24 on December 18th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Suppawer at 16:28 on December 18th, 2012:
I don't like abandonia.

Well I agree, allthough it does have it's merits.

Originally posted by Suppawer at 16:28 on December 18th, 2012:
I like underground-gamers

Like us? ;) Any other sites that come to your mind?
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll