The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Sid Meier regains the right to several titles
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Sid Meier regains the right to several titles

Posted at 09:31 on May 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
According to an Infogrames press release Firaxis has gained the rights to several old Sid Meier titles. These include:

* Sid Meier's Pirates!
* Sid Meier's Colonization
* Covert Action
* Gunship
* Silent Service
* F-19 Stealth Fighter
* F-15 Strike Eagle
* Sid Meier's CPU Bach

This is interesting for several reasons. First, it means that Infogrames knew they owned the rights to these games, and had them in their accounting system; otherwise they would not be able to transfer the rights. Second, following the news that Sid Meier will be working on the sequel to Pirates!, I can assume that he may be later working on a sequel to Colonization or Covert Action (wishful thinking). Third, Firaxis is not a member of the IDSA, thus these games lose their IDSA protection.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 11:03 on May 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Infogrames
Who is that? Never heard of them. Image

Anyway, it's nice to see such prolific copyrights in the hands of a smaller company where they're more likely to be cared for, but there are also aspects I don't like about it. Specifically the idea of sequels to these games/programs being produced. "Pirates! 2" and "Covert Action 2" would probably have some Tomb Raider - style fight scenes, a new Colonization would be uninspired at best (like all these more current Civilization clones) and so on. Conclusion: more great classic titles spoiled :(

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:26 on May, 15th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:27 on May 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I know, it's called Atari these days. But old habits die hard; the first time I read the article I was actually pleasantly surprised that Firaxis signed with a whole new company, not with the renamed Infogrames. I guess that was their reason for renaming from the beginning...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 16:29 on May 15th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
On the contrary of you Mr Creosote, I find more than interesting to think that Colonization might get a sequel. It been so long before they think about it that I never could have imagined it could be happening.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 02:21 on May 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Oh, I would like to see a sequel to Colonization, too - but only as long as I can be sure it won't be crap. These days, it is certain to become crap though.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:57 on May 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
When I'll try Sim City 4 I'll be able to either agree or disagree with you. Until then I prefer to wait a little more.

Not all games are made by Firaxis.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll