The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Oldware Retiree
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Oldware Retiree

Posted at 12:19 on June 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
I'm retiring from oldwarez (anything incompatible with Win98). Why? Mostly because my computer running DOS and Win95 is falling apart. It's a AMD-K5 133Mhz. It has a "crappy" monitor hooked up to it, many of the keys on the keyboard get stuck, and the PS fan is inoperable. I suppose these things could be replaced, but at diminishing return, since I don't spend that much time with it anyway.

So until there's a good DOS emulator, I'm walking away from oldwarez, and I'm not even going to try running any of it through 98 or XP (which I dual boot with). I have enough headtrips to deal with.
Posted at 17:24 on June 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I have nothing to do with "oldwarez" either.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 20:19 on June 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
What do you mean by "oldwarez"?

Edited by A E I at 04:20 on June, 07th 2003
Posted at 20:13 on June 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
What does mean "oldwarez"? Warez by itself mean things that are illegaly offered freely...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 09:07 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's all very interesting, just that we're not an 'oldwarez' forum :P As for getting old games to run, why not just try superior versions of the same games on other systems emulated by your PC?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:23 on June, 08th 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:40 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Nearly everything you offer is illegal. There's no reason to be snooty here nor play semantic games. To be honest the maturity of people involved with "old games" (as you like to call it)
is lacking and is also a significant reason for my increasing disinterest.
Posted at 11:49 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, a 'snooty' farewell from me then. Maybe someday you'll see what we're talking about, maybe not. Hint: It has to do with the question of giving a damn about laws or not :)

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:51 on June, 08th 2003
-----
Posted at 14:10 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
I already know what you're talking about. But it's no reason to get all haughty about my word choice. It's just childish. Worst yet, you're reinforcing my theory that most of you are losers, who get anal about stupid shit. I came here simply because I ran into NetDanzr recently online and thought I'd check out his/your forum because he's good poster.
Posted at 15:22 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
What did I lose at? I certainly didn't do very well in the MicroMachines tournament.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 15:25 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, since you seem to be taking all of this very seriously, I'll answer completely seriously.

First of all, it seems to be you who is very picky about words. Otherwise, you wouldn't have to mention the term "oldwarez" in each of your topics. You obviously either thought you could easily socialize here by saying the 'magic word' or you came here with the intention to stir up a little argument. Either is not very mature.
Secondly, your first post was a request for a game which you later admitted you already have. Your second post (not counting the replies to the first one) says (paraphrased) "I'm leaving". Do you expect to be taken seriously showing such a behaviour?
Now you're starting to call people names. Admittedly, the reactions to this thread weren't the nicest, but then again, what do you expect? It's obvious you haven't read the board rules or browsed any older threads, because otherwise, you could have forseen this reaction. If you have a calm minute, you might want to re-read this thread entirely, and you'll find nobody but you saw the need to insult anyone personally. Talking about maturity.

I'm sparing you my reaction to you saying people are the reason you're losing interest in games for now, because I think you have enough material to flame for today.
-----
Posted at 23:03 on June 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
From where I've frequented before "oldwarez" is just a term used interchangeably with old games.
It wasn't an attempt at stimulating social grooming. My post was just geared toward starting a topic for discussion.

As far as Incubation it wasn't a request. It was a reference to a converation I had with NetDanzr earlier. In the sense that it was a request it was facetious.

I don't know where I said I was "leaving" this forum. You misunderstood what I was saying intentionly or unintentionaly.

Sorry about the "names". I meant to say that some out there are challenged economically and socially, have no inherhent or developed talents, but are working on it and/or are satisfied with their station in life. My blanket statement
in regards to the forum was said recklessly, and wasn't meant to be so generalized (yes, rereading it, I'm sure I should have kept it to myself). I don't have anything personally against you nor do I mean to say that you should be where I'm at. Sorry for that.

Also, thanks for sparing me.
Posted at 04:38 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Whatever. Let's just forget about the shit thrown in this thread. Just on the point of calling old games 'oldwarez': I dislike that just for one reason - it implies every old game one has is pirated. Looking through this room, I many, many original boxes full of disks, manual and great goodies which I paid for.I would never call any of those 'oldwarez', 'warez' or 'abandonware' - they're just games.

As for having a discussion, you should have said that more directly in the other thread (yes, I also own Incubation as well as the data disk as originals) and here, you could have picked up my suggestion about an easier way of running 'old games' ;)
-----
Posted at 12:16 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
I wasn't aware there is a superior version of Incubation that'll run on newer computers.
I have a ripped copy, but that isn't the same thing in my estimation to having the whole game as it was intended to be.

I really didn't mean to imply that all the games you have are "oldwarez". Most of the older games I have are not originals, so perhaps that's were I became confused.
Posted at 14:46 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Not of Incubation, since this is another topic, and it isn't really old anyway :P You're not missing much with the sound actually. You never miss much with sound.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:20 on June, 09th 2003
-----
Posted at 15:50 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
That may be. How's the music in that game? If you don't usually care for game music, then maybe I'm asking the wrong person. ;)
Posted at 16:44 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I.... don't remember it. All I remember of the sound is some cheesy speech and the jetpack effect. Sure, it's been many years since I last played it, but if a game doesn't leave any impression with me sound-wise, it's still telling...
-----
Posted at 16:58 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Well, NetDanzr has it too... maybe he knows. Just like to know what I'm missing or not missing.

:)
Posted at 23:22 on June 9th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Oh great. I obviously missed something, and now I feel left out. :(
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 16:26 on June 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
It's because NetDanzr is suspiciously silent.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll