The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Ram Me, Box Me
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Ram Me, Box Me

Posted at 02:51 on June 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
I just found out today that I can't use EMM386 on my newer computer. I guess it doesn't detect the RAM. Retro gaming rocks!

So ... what do you all think of Dosbox? What have you been able to run with it? Please don't tell me you don't use it and that you have a dusty old 386 that you use, that's nonsense.
Posted at 05:59 on June 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Before complaining, did you try to load the appropriate drivers into your autoexec.bat and config.sys? DOS is stupid like that; if you don't load it, you can't use it. ;)
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 06:47 on June 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Yeah, yeah, I got an error with my memory. Don't know why. Just one of those things. Maybe EMM386 doesn't like DDRAM, or maybe it doesn't like 512MB of it. Doesn't work I know. Says something about 'can't assign to base address'.
Anyway, playing with command lines is dumb, so I downloaded DOSbox. And guess what? It actually works perty good.

I ran Civilization with it. It worked, and I even got my precious sound to work - that I couldn't stop yiping about - without any ill effects.
I won't play this game though, I just realized how old it is and how many newer incarnations I own. (That usually happens when I get something
to work).

Tried Master of Magic. It was a bit sluggish, but you can speed up the emulator if you have the processing power. All in all, not bad. Certainly seemed playable and listening to the MIDI music was pretty cool (never heard that before).

Tried Alone in the Dark. Worked about as well as Master of Magic. It was necessary to speed up the emulation there too.

Tried Laser Squad. Ran well.

Already played these games before - was just testing them out.

In other news, I finished Sam N Max a few days back running ScummVM. It was amusing; however the puzzles were totally illogical and I must say I didn't really enjoy the gameplay very much, if it had any to speak of.

Edited by A E I at 14:48 on June, 25th 2003
Posted at 09:29 on June 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
No, I just have a 300Mhz with DOS on it.

For DosBox, it should say on the site what works and what doesn't.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 11:04 on June 25th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Either versions of Civ2 are not worth playing. I would almost pay to get rid of one of those. On the other side, Civ3 is awesome.

Civilization is still a good game if you only have around 4 hours of play in front of you.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 01:34 on June 26th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Banned
Master Gumby
Eagle of Fire: I don't own Civ3, so I can't say. But I've always had some trouble warming up to the civilization series. I think I have a hard time enjoying games that are hyped up and I've heard only good things about. But that just means I'm insane.

By the way, Master of Magic doesn't run as well as I thought. The keyboard input falters at times, sometimes not working at all - it's a drag. Maybe it was a bug in the original game (the game was fairly buggy), but I don't think so, and I'm using the latest version of
MoM.

Tuss: "Supported" can mean many things. But I prefer running at 95% or better, if I'm actually going to sit down and play it.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll