The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Eurodance 90-0x: Your favorite singer(s)/band(s)?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Eurodance 90-0x: Your favorite singer(s)/band(s)?

Posted at 19:49 on August 11th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Not sure if it's sane enough to bring up this subject here, but since it's "talk about anything you like" i decided i wanna push my luck. So, what will it be guys, any particular memories regarding the said music genre? Everyone may post at least one music video link of his beloved group(s), and i think it will be fun :)

And here's mine:

2 Brothers On The 4th Floor - Living In Cyberspace
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 18:45 on August 13th, 2014
Posted at 10:58 on August 12th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Anything you like means anything you like :)

I'm afraid I have a hard time answering this question, though. I have very particular memories of that time, but favourites? I thought those were very bleak times, when it was virtually impossible to turn the radio on without being instantly annoyed.

My primary memory is just how similar all those songs were. The structure of all those songs by those test-tube "bands" was basically identical! There was always some stupid "rapper" and then a girl singing a chorus. Each group only ever lasted one or two songs, but then there were always "new" ones already waiting to take their place.

2 Unlimited, Masterboy, Snap, Mr President - you name them ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:16 on August 12th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
MrCreosote, for some reason i knew that you would criticize the style, but i was hoping it's my paranoia, and in certain other ways you would prove to be less.. opinionated or something.. :) But that's virgo for you, perfectly standard. :)
-----
Posted at 15:45 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 10:58 on August 12th, 2014:
I thought those were very bleak times, when it was virtually impossible to turn the radio on without being instantly annoyed.

My primary memory is just how similar all those songs were. The structure of all those songs by those test-tube "bands" was basically identical!

Almost sound like you are talking about today's music. ;)

Originally posted by Moebius at 14:16 on August 12th, 2014:
but i was hoping […] you would prove to be less.. opinionated or something..

Well, you have to keep in mind, that music is a very subjective topic, so I guess it's OK to disagree a bit. ;)

On topic: Since I am a music afficionado I think I can find some songs I like in almost every style. So even with Eurodance there are a couple of songs that I find quite alright. That is if I am in the right mood for them.

Probably the best dance track from the 90ies (that I know of) would be The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl. Funny anecdote that goes with it: I grew up near the Slovakian border and we were able to recive TV stations from the other side of the border. While back then there were almost no music clip shows in my country's terrestial TV stations, one of the foreign stations actually showed them quite a lot. And this is one of the songs that strongly sticked to my mind. Just imagine the grainy picture, noisy sound but yet the images were so creepily cool and the rythms so moving.

Since they were mentioned above already, I think 2 Unlimited - No Limit was also kind of OK… at least it's the only song I could hum without looking it up somewhere. ;)
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 18:40 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Well, you have to keep in mind, that music is a very subjective topic, so I guess it's OK to disagree a bit. ;)

Sure, it's perfectly fine, it's just that i noticed he can be a little rough when expressing opinion. Too unmerciful so to speak :) But it's absolutely ok with me as long as it doesn't get personal, cause some people tend to project their opinion of others as derived from subjects they're interested in. But Mr Creosote doesn't seem to be that kinda guy.

Quote:
Probably the best dance track from the 90ies (that I know of) would be The Chemical Brothers - Hey Boy Hey Girl.

Yes, i even remember its first appearance on MTV, but honestly i was never a big fan. The music was a little lifeless and dark to me. I normally prefer something vivid and colorful :) And by the way, it's not quite eurodance either.. but it's alright, at least we're discussing something now :)

Quote:
Since they were mentioned above already, I think 2 Unlimited - No Limit was also kind of OK… at least it's the only song I could hum without looking it up somewhere.

Well yeah, this song would serve as the opening anthem of 90s i think.. :) I'm not sure what i think of it now, as it's been sufficiently overplayed, so it's become quite insipid. But surely, great hit :)

I have quite a few obscure gems from 90s, and most of those bands happen to be german btw, which i'd never figure out myself unless i look it up :)

Here's an example of such: Sqeezer - Scandy Randy
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 18:53 on August 13th, 2014
Posted at 18:58 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
So what do you think of Dr. Alban? ;)

And talking about embarassing German releases, what about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J85Q6-zRjhk?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:06 on August 13th, 2014
Posted at 20:01 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Some Dr. Alban songs weren't even half bad, I especially remember Hello Africa.

Oh boy, this thread has given me a full-on 90ies flash… back to Bravo Hits CDs (not that I ever got any of those :P) and school skiing/excursions (with their disco evenings).

Quote:
And talking about embarassing German releases, what about this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J85Q6-zRjhk?

The big Y won't allow me to watch it without proof of age… so, how weird is it? ;)

Well, digging through those endless heaps of other Youtube-videos I found some further highligts:

Quote:
I have quite a few obscure gems from 90s, and most of those bands happen to be german btw, which i'd never figure out myself unless i look it up :)

If you like German Eurodance, you just have to at least take a look at the Austrian one too :D:
Peter Steiner - It's Cool Man : Had a short lived fame for a chocolate advert those phrases appeared in.
Edelweiss - Starship Edelweiss : This one's for the Trekkies; remember watching this one over and over just for the video.

And believe it or not, I found a band I had totally forgotten about, which also turns out to be Eurodance, and I liked really a lot back than (so much I even consider getting an album of them right now): Army of Lovers.
So just for kicks watch this proof of music videos always having been sexed up: Army Of Lovers - Give My Life
-----
Posted at 20:22 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 20:01 on August 13th, 2014:
Quote:

The big Y won't allow me to watch it without proof of age… so, how weird is it? ;)

Uh… there one woman dancing around while getting sprayed with water in various stages of undress, intercut with "Jesus" Dieter Bohlen posing on a swivel chair. Nothing you won't see on public display at your local newsstand.

Quote:
So just for kicks watch this proof of music videos always having been sexed up: Army Of Lovers - Give My Life

I didn't even know that one! It has to be one of the gayest music videos ever ;)

One "band" I remember which actually had more than the usual two identical songs in the charts, believe it or not, was "E-Rotic" (also German). After their first hit Max, don't have sex with your ex, they followed it up with clearly distinct "masterpieces" like Fred, come to bed, Willy, use a Billy Boy and finally the ingenious Help me Dr. Dick (hope this all sounds positive enough :P).
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:29 on August 13th, 2014
Posted at 21:46 on August 13th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
And talking about embarassing German releases, what about this one:

I totally LOVE this song, and it's funny that you brought it up, was a bit unexpected :)
I think Dieter Bohlen is actually a genius when it comes to "spicy" disco. He's got the touch. By the way.. he's aquarius :)

As for Dr. Alban.. a couple of good songs, "It's my life" and "Mr. DJ", the rest is so-so. So you're right about these bands having had 1-2 hits, however, they would always release quite a few albums, but most of it was pretty much forgettable.

Quote:

It's fairly decent, don't worry. Just a girl posing a bit, revealing parts of her underwear. No worries :)

Quote:
Edelweiss - Starship Edelweiss : This one's for the Trekkies; remember watching this one over and over just for the video.

I know Edelweiss, kinda trippy group, but it's more for the laughs than actual stimulation. Thanks though :)

Quote:
And believe it or not, I found a band I had totally forgotten about, which also turns out to be Eurodance, and I liked really a lot back than (so much I even consider getting an album of them right now): Army of Lovers.

I like a few of their songs, but the fact that.. there was this homo dude and people who ardently support all this stuff makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyway, their female singer La Camilla used to be quite a hottie.

Quote:
One "band" I remember which actually had more than the usual two identical songs in the charts, believe it or not, was "E-Rotic" (also German). After their first hit Max, don't have sex with your ex, they followed it up with clearly distinct "masterpieces" like Fred, come to bed, Willy, use a Billy Boy and finally the ingenious Help me Dr. Dick (hope this all sounds positive enough :P).

Yeah, E-Rotic was a eurodance veteran. However, i have to admit, they were repetitive as hell, and they wouldn't even change their sound for several years. And only in early 2000s they used a different approach, the result of which is this: E-Rotic - Sexual Healing

This sounded different, less plastic, cartoonish, and more melodic. Finally they changed their oldschool synthesizer :) And no more silly lyrics about condoms, EXes, invitation to beds and all that jazz. Oh well.. Dr. Dick was da shit actually, i must admit it :)
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 21:54 on August 13th, 2014
Posted at 16:48 on August 14th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 21:46 on August 13th, 2014:
Quote:
And talking about embarassing German releases, what about this one:

I totally LOVE this song, and it's funny that you brought it up, was a bit unexpected :)
I think Dieter Bohlen is actually a genius when it comes to "spicy" disco. He's got the touch. By the way.. he's aquarius :)

Well, you probably don't see him on the front page of every newspaper and on every TV show daily, so you're forgiven ;)

Quote:
Yeah, E-Rotic was a eurodance veteran. However, i have to admit, they were repetitive as hell, and they wouldn't even change their sound for several years. And only in early 2000s they used a different approach, the result of which is this: E-Rotic - Sexual Healing

Hm, that Cool World music video is probably not official, is it? It's very well cut, almost makes this super lame film look good!

Looking at their discography, it seems they didn't only do a number of ABBA covers, but also had a tendency for re-using song titles: Sexual Healing, Sex over the Phone – so how would you say they compared to these classics? :P
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 16:50 on August 14th, 2014
Posted at 19:34 on August 14th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 20:22 on August 13th, 2014:
I didn't even know that one! It has to be one of the gayest music videos ever ;)

and
I like a few of their songs, but the fact that.. there was this homo dude and people who ardently support all this stuff makes me feel uncomfortable. Anyway, their female singer La Camilla used to be quite a hottie.

Nah, come on people, if you are afraid of some homo-erotic imagery (never mind that the female eye candy more than makes up for it) just click the window away and get swept away by the beat. ;)

Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 16:48 on August 14th, 2014:

Originally I wanted to counter your remark about the gayest video ever with YMCA… but I guess you top it off with that one. :D
-----
Posted at 20:11 on August 14th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Why do you assume I'm using "gay" as a negative attribute?
-----
Posted at 06:48 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Actually I assumed that you wrote in a jokingly manner, so I tried to answer in a similar way.

Humour doesn't always transfer well over the internet, so to clear this up on a more serious note: Personally I don't mind if this shows some men which could be considered gay or men with some rather revealing 'clothing' (which btw. could also be aimed at a female audience). Actually I even think the video is very creative and fun, which really suits the very vivid music. Yet if you listen closely to the lyrics, you might be surprised that this might actually be a very dark song after all. All of this leaves me with the impression, that there went a bit of thought in the creation of the song and its video, a quality which I always treasure.
-----
Posted at 18:03 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Well, you probably don't see him on the front page of every newspaper and on every TV show daily, so you're forgiven ;)

Yeah, i guess you're right :) He's still kind of exotic around here.

Quote:
Hm, that Cool World music video is probably not official, is it? It's very well cut, almost makes this super lame film look good!

Of course it isn't, but yes, i agree it was nicely done.

Quote:
Nah, come on people, if you are afraid of some homo-erotic imagery (never mind that the female eye candy more than makes up for it) just click the window away and get swept away by the beat. ;)

Sometimes it's a little more complicated. You may like the music, the song, yet it may somehow suggest homosexual implication or whatever, and it feels like you're taking part in that movement. Kinda. Nearest example would be Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round. I used to like it, but when i found out that the whole band is actually gay and the song is almost like a gay anthem i quickly imagined billions of gays enjoying iy... it made me feel uncomfortable and i stopped listening to it :) So.. it's not even about homophobia, it's just a little confusion you have to face from time to time, for many small reasons.
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 19:56 on August 15th, 2014
Posted at 18:51 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 18:03 on August 15th, 2014:
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round

That's a great song :D Though it would rather have fit into this old thread.

less plastic

Talking about plastic, I bet you love Barbie Girl, right?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:30 on August 15th, 2014
Posted at 19:55 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Talking about plastic, I bet you love Barbie Girl, right?

Actually, no. I'm not a big fan of Aqua in general :) I mean, i do like a few songs, but they aren't really representative of 90s eurodance. For example, here's what i like: Aqua - Turn Back Time

I prefer Daze over Aqua :)
-----
Posted at 20:45 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 18:03 on August 15th, 2014:
Sometimes it's a little more complicated. You may like the music, the song, yet it may somehow suggest homosexual implication or whatever, and it feels like you're taking part in that movement. […] it's not even about homophobia, it's just a little confusion you have to face from time to time, for many small reasons.

I would be lying if I said I haven't felt the same way at times. Best example would be The Hidden Cameras whose songs I liked whenever they turned up in the radio… until I realized what they were singing about and was a bit confused (which is a definite understatement). Yet I still do hope that our society will reach a point when gays are as accepted that anyone can listen to their songs (or other creative stuff) without the need to 'belong' to them.

But to stop this thread from totally drifting off-topic:
I remember having a kind of competition with my younger sister who would stand listening to a certain song for a longer time. So we kept the CD-player on endless repeat of Dolls United - Eine Insel mit zwei Bergen… and now I don't even remember who broke first, but we must have listened to it about a dozen of times or so until we agreed to stop it. Funnily I still have no clue who Jim Knopf is…
-----
-----
Edited by Herr M. at 08:47 on August 16th, 2014
Posted at 20:49 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Herr M. at 20:45 on August 15th, 2014:
Funnily I still have no clue who Jim Knopf is…

Surely, you can't be serious? :confused: It has got to be the most famous children story in the German speaking part of the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCSM8mh_jUM
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:54 on August 15th, 2014
Posted at 20:58 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 20:49 on August 15th, 2014:
Originally posted by Herr M. at 20:45 on August 15th, 2014:
Funnily I still have no clue who Jim Knopf is…

Surely, you can't be serious? :confused:

So much for not going off topic. :D Well, I do know that he drives around in a train with an engineer named Lukas and that they appeared in a puppet show, but I never had the opportunity to see it. Judging by Wikipedia it seems like I missed quite a lot…
-----
Posted at 21:01 on August 15th, 2014 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's a book by Michael Ende originally – very recommendable read! The puppet TV version is pretty good as well.
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll