The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Terry Pratchett
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Terry Pratchett

Posted at 21:46 on March 12th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It seems like there are only deaths, deaths and more deaths on this world :(
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:25 on March 13th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Perhaps the world is slowly collapsing, starting with the demise of certain notable figures... R.I.P., Mr. Pratchett, even though i hadn't read any of your stuff, and hardly known or heard anything about you other than your name...
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 19:37 on March 13th, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Well, were should I begin? There are lots of very fond memories to share: Childhood memories of colourful covers. Reading Sourcery and Equal Rites when I was twelvish and not getting the humor. Finally starting to read his novels seriously for taking my A-levels in English, when we had to pick a special topic and I chose him because Tolkien was already taken. My first graphic novel was a version of Mort. I actually hated the first Discworld computer game because it was ridicously difficult. I loved the last one (Noir) and writing a review for it is on my eternal todo list. He was the only author I ever met in person at a book signing, and even though we only had a brief talk I have to confirm that he was a very genial person. Every year I dig out some Discworld novels and read them, so I guess this makes them the books I spend most of my reading time on. And I think I learned a lot about English by doing so. Today I bought Thief of Time, the one novel I had sworn myself to save for when he died, and as I started reading it I thought that it was a great choice.

As tragic as his death might be, I cannot help but still smile in memory of him, probably because he was such an optimistic person, something which shines through in all of his novels, and I guess this makes them such a great read: You will always find something in them to lift you up, to make you smile. And the funniest thing of all is that there are still a couple of deep thoughts to be found too.

So, all I can say is: Thanks Terry! I will honour you by keeping up the spirit and enjoying your legacy with a laughing and a crying eye.
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll