The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Windows and Macintosh disk images
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Windows and Macintosh disk images

Posted at 02:53 on October 7th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
So, I've been comparing my personal collection of floppy disks with the disk image database and I haven't seen any images for Macintosh or Windows 3/3.1 games on the site. Is this for lack of contribution or are they just not being accepted into the collection at this point?

There are several sites specializing in Mac software so leaving that to them might make sense but I'd still think the Windows games would qualify as "PC". In my experience the Windows variant of a game that was available for both DOS and Windows is harder to find (both as a download or as a physical copy). I would think that would make them of interest for preservation as well?
-----
Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready
Posted at 06:26 on October 7th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, anything for IBM compatibles qualifies.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 18:45 on October 10th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
We have a few windows games, but it is rare finding them. People does not seem to like the old Windows too much. Any contribution on that aspect would be great.
Posted at 10:10 on October 14th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Are the original floppy images of Windows 3.11 and/or MS-DOS 6.x also desired or just the games themselves?

(You'd certainly need the apropriate Windows environment as the Windows games would not run in DosBox, would they?)
Posted at 22:07 on October 14th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I'll let Wandrell or Mr Creosote speak to the goals of the site. I'm personally focused on original floppy disks.

Getting the older Windows software to run can be a little trickier. You can install Windows 3.x on DOSBox and I've been able to run most software that way. You can also try installing Windows 95 or later on VMware, VirtualBox, etc. The 32-bit versions on Windows can usually run the earlier 16 bit programs too.

I've only recently started trying to obtain and work with the Windows software though. One thing I'm currently struggling with the small collection I currently has is does the game only have PC speaker sound or am I just not getting the sound driver to work correctly in the emulated environment.
-----
Non-System disk or disk error

replace and strike any key when ready
Posted at 18:15 on October 16th, 2016 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Programs of any kind are acceptable, even thought they are, currently, on a lower priority than games.
Posted at 21:58 on July 4th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Wandrell at 18:15 on October 16th, 2016:
Programs of any kind are acceptable, even thought they are, currently, on a lower priority than games.

How comes that the collection is that small on the site? ( http://www.goodolddays.net/apps/ ) Are there no contributions or are the programs not added yet?
Posted at 04:53 on July 5th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by fuxxxyfloppy at 21:58 on July 4th, 2017:

How comes that the collection is that small on the site? ( http://www.goodolddays.net/apps/ ) Are there no contributions or are the programs not added yet?

Lacking contributions for years before that, public forms to submit new applications have been disabled in 2011.
-----
Posted at 21:36 on July 6th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Ok, sad to hear that. It would be also nice to preserve. Are there any other ways besides the (missing) public form to add applications?
Posted at 07:21 on July 7th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, you could just zip the application itself, your review/description as a plain text file and screenshots into a file and upload the package with a note saying it's for the application section. I'll manage to get it in.
-----
Posted at 12:52 on July 8th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Thanks for your reply. I already have the images and I will try to write the descriptions soon.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll