The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Referrer logging
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Referrer logging

Posted at 21:02 on September 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
I'm having trouble downloading anything from your site for my SNES emulator. Right below the header on the page after I click download it says

Error:No referrer string found. Please enable referrer logging for your browser.

If you could be of any assistance I would greatly appreciate it. I am running Win XP Pro with Internet Explorer 6.0 as my browser.

Thanks. Yours Sincerely,
mstock69@hotmail.com
Posted at 01:42 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sure. Any of the other users of that 'browser'? The question is: How to enable the sending of referrers in Internet Explorer 6.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:44 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Since none of the Microsoft supporters seem to be willing (or able) to help, I took a look at this 'browser' at university today. It was version 5.0, so things might be a little different. Going through all available options, I couldn't find any way to disable referrer logging. I also asked a friend who administrates the computers there, and he didn't have any idea, either. So I'm a little confused about your 'browser' not sending a referrer string at all.

Is it possible that you are behind a very restrictive firewall? To find out whether it's a problem with the browser setting or this, try another browser. If it doesn't work there, either, it's the firewall. If you're the admin of this computer, set it not to block the referrer strings. Otherwise, ask your administrator if there is any way around it.
-----
Posted at 10:28 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I checked Google but couldn't find anything. I haven't used MSIE for over a year now.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 14:32 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
1) There is quite a difference between 5.0 and 6x, but I don't think that this is one of those differences.
2) Check your scripting permissions, perhaps you have javascript turned off and that's causing the problem.
3) Are you using any kind of ad blocker? Many of those can block referrers from showing.

If you don't have another browser to try, opera is the smallest to download www.opera.com
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 16:01 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
1. Haha, good one :D
2. The referrer I'm checking with the script isn't the one sent by JavaScript, but by HTTP header. I repeat: No scripting language of any kind is necessary!
4. The smallest browser is still Lynx, and the smallest 'graphical' one (I know of) is Dillo.
-----
Posted at 20:59 on September 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'm talking about "normal" browsers (ones that can handle at least 90% of the web properly, which leaves out text only browsers since they don't render pages the way they are supposed to be, and browsers such as "off by one" which lacks any javascript support), and since this guy is running windows, that dilla one is no help.

btw Out of all the versions of IE, 5.5 is the best (all versions of IE suck, but 5.5 is the best of the worst). v5.0 doesn't work with many things, many sites have issues with it, and some software won't install on windows unless you have at least 5.5. v6.0 is major suckitude, more so than any other version. (v6 is to IE what XP is to windows.)

Edited by Cypherswipe at 05:06 on September, 11th 2003
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 02:58 on September 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Last time I checked, there were plenty of C-compilers available for Microsoft Windows.
-----
Posted at 02:06 on September 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Uhh, minor difference of opinion: 5.5 crashed my computer like no version before it! ;)
-----
If it ain't broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Posted at 03:42 on September 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's the price of integrating a program into the OS: it'll always take down everything with it :evil: Then again, I didn't expect anything else of someone who uses the bmp format on websites :P
-----
Posted at 07:30 on September 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Just keep a second browser, preferably Opera 7 installed at least for testing purposes for times like this. ;)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll