The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - Disk image info update / amendment
ClosedNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12345

Disk image info update / amendment

Posted at 16:43 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
In this thread we collect data on the uploaded disk images and extend a helping hand to the TGOD floppy manager(s) in filling out info as to some of the game specs (cracks, doc checks, versions, etc). If any vital information is missing - be so kind to let us know. Also, if you find any mistakes e. g. wrong titles, incorrect dates, broken/empty/incomplete archives, duplicates, wrong status and other inconsistencies - do kindly report here, please. Finally, if there are any installation issues in certain emulators - let us know. Thank you!
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Moebius at 15:01 on June 28th, 2018
Posted at 17:30 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
2059 The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants | 1 disk, no intro, doc-check cleanly removed

Is Hit-Squad release :)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mx4ykx.jpg
-----
Edited by flyers80 at 17:51 on June 20th, 2017
Posted at 17:34 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
1904 Cisco Heat

Missing copy protection, not work
Posted at 17:41 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sorry, would it be possible to not put huge images directly on display? I'm on slow mobile connections most of the time and it takes forever.

Why not just link the image or upload right to the post? In the latter case, every user could decide for him or herself whether to have attached images displayed by default or just as a link.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:41 on June 20th, 2017
Posted at 17:44 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Sorry :(
It will not happen again
Posted at 17:54 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Thanks, this is perfect :)
-----
Posted at 18:25 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Quote:
Quote:
1971 Jurassic Park V1.33 with copy-protected installer.

You mean CP is missing and the game doesn't run?

Exactly. Hungs in VirtualPC and requests the original disk in DosBox. Using a cracked installer, you get V1.33. I've seen 1.22, 1.23, 1.31, 1.32P and 1.37.

Quote:
Quote:
2045 Pushover (Big Games/Hit Squad, Copy protection removed) Contains a slightly different copyright message.

Removed as in cracked or it's simply a CP-free release?

Given flyers80 has posted a picture of the original italian re-release, I presume protection has been removed for re-release. Affected files have dates from 1993. It's not an uncommon practice for re-releases to do away with protections.

Quote:
Quote:
2057 The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants | Doc-check

Now, that one is unnecessary unless it was the other way around. I think we need Wandrell's opinion on this.

I was indeed looking for an image with copy protection intact, so I do appreciate it when I can know such is the case. May not be on everyone's interest.

Quote:
Quote:
2059 The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants | 1 disk, no intro, doc-check cleanly removed (probably a re-release)

Not a fact. Could be cracked, which i frankly think it is. In cases like that i typically check the timestamps, and if all but the .exe file match it's definitely cracked.

Right. I cannot know for certain, but taking into account the doc-check has disappeared completely and it lacks the unnecessary intro animation, but the installer has been altered not to include it, I looks to me as a re-release, where they tend to make things cheaper (by cutting the number of disks in half).

Hope these notes help. It takes a long time to check images, make notes of copy protection, or other facts. That's why I thought it might be on everyone's best interest to share whatever additional information we have on the images.

Maybe we could aim for a set of standard info to go along with the images, such as whether they have any kind of protection, come from a re-release, and of course, show some kind of version number. Any suggestions?
Posted at 19:06 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Originally posted by flyers80 at 17:30 on June 20th, 2017:
2059 The Simpsons: Bart vs the Space Mutants | 1 disk, no intro, doc-check cleanly removed

Is Hit-Squad release :)

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mx4ykx.jpg

Thanks!! :D
Posted at 22:01 on June 20th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
1904 Cisco Heat

Updated.

Quote:
Exactly. Hungs in VirtualPC and requests the original disk in DosBox. Using a cracked installer, you get V1.33. I've seen 1.22, 1.23, 1.31, 1.32P and 1.37.

Updated.

Quote:
Given flyers80 has posted a picture of the original italian re-release, I presume protection has been removed for re-release.

Positively so. Updated.

Quote:
I was indeed looking for an image with copy protection intact, so I do appreciate it when I can know such is the case. May not be on everyone's interest.

Well, considering that most of the images in our archive contain original files by default, whether with working copy protection or not, and the fact that Wandrell always does indicate cracked versions, it's still a little insufficient. Point taken, however.

Quote:
, I looks to me as a re-release, where they tend to make things cheaper (by cutting the number of disks in half).

Yes, thanks to flyers80, we have already confirmed it.

Quote:
Hope these notes help. It takes a long time to check images, make notes of copy protection, or other facts.

Yes, thank you for your kind assistance.

Quote:
Maybe we could aim for a set of standard info to go along with the images, such as whether they have any kind of protection, come from a re-release, and of course, show some kind of version number. Any suggestions?

I believe the best way to pull it off is to add a few extra fields to the image profile to be filled out regardless. Example:

Copy protection: None/Cracked/Faulty
Version: (x.x/Unknown)
Re-release: (Yes/No/Unknown)
Video: (CGA/+EGA/+VGA)

But i'm afraid it's a little too late and may take too much time to re-arrange and fill everything out. Either way, it requires Wandrell's attention to pass final judgment.
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 22:16 on June 20th, 2017
Posted at 15:50 on June 21st, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
318 Outrun 1989 English 2 x 5.25" DS DD (360kB)

Posted at 17:59 on June 22nd, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
1859 Prehistorik

Missing copy protection
-----
Edited by flyers80 at 17:59 on June 22nd, 2017
Posted at 13:05 on June 23rd, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by flyers80 at 15:50 on June 21st, 2017:
318 Outrun 1989 English 2 x 5.25" DS DD (360kB)

Originally posted by flyers80 at 17:59 on June 22nd, 2017:
1859 Prehistorik

Missing copy protection

Updated.
-----
Posted at 13:44 on June 23rd, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
About #4, Day of the Tentacle: This was originally dumped by me. I'm surprised to find a note about "WinImage" being attached to it now. I don't even have that tool, so I'm wondering where this comes from. Could anyone clarify?
-----
Posted at 04:51 on June 24th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 13:44 on June 23rd, 2017:
About #4, Day of the Tentacle: This was originally dumped by me. I'm surprised to find a note about "WinImage" being attached to it now. I don't even have that tool, so I'm wondering where this comes from. Could anyone clarify?

My guess is, the software you used probably owes its dumping method to WinImage, which is a common practice among multi-format applications. Nearest example is WinRAR which doesn't have its own unique algorithm to compress files into a ZIP archive (would be quite absurd otherwise), and uses the native one instead. I believe we're facing the same situation here and the app of your choice derives its method from WinImage. Matter of fact, the system name of your images indicate clearly that they originate from WinImage (according to UltraISO):

http://oi63.tinypic.com/5bdwfd.jpg
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 05:21 on June 24th, 2017
Posted at 05:17 on June 24th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I made all my images with dd. However, I see that the attribution has been changed to Wandrell, so probably, they have been exchanged.
-----
Posted at 05:42 on June 24th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 05:17 on June 24th, 2017:
I made all my images with dd. However, I see that the attribution has been changed to Wandrell, so probably, they have been exchanged.

Oh right, i didn't even pay attention to that. Well, then i take it all back.
-----
Posted at 06:48 on June 24th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, don't - you confirmed the comment does indeed reflect the state of the images. I guess mine were defective.

I have a question of policy then: is replacing a good idea?

Let's say some of my disks were defective, i.e. the set was unusable. Nevertheless, some disks were good. By replacing, they are now lost forever (I assume). Replacing with a set which is working, but which is a bad dump. In addition, mine may have been a different version.

So how to handle such cases?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 06:48 on June 24th, 2017
Posted at 18:52 on June 24th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
I have a question of policy then: is replacing a good idea?

From what i've seen, Wandrell has never replaced any dumps, even when i personally asked him to update some of the files. He collects them ALL as long as they differ in version or even quality. In your case he may have rejected it cause those were likely non-IMA/IMG images.

I can't say whether his method is good or bad, but personally i would replace/remove a lot of files to abridge the archive and keep some of the bad dumps only as long as there is no good replacement. Of course, the original uploaders should retain their contribution points regardless.

Wandrell: sorry for using 3rd person mode, just thought i could clarify things a little sooner seeing you're absent.
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 04:28 on June 26th, 2017
Posted at 10:05 on July 15th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (2174)

The title is wrong
title correctly is "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (i uploaded european version)
Posted at 10:53 on July 15th, 2017 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by flyers80 at 10:05 on July 15th, 2017:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (2174)

The title is wrong
title correctly is "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (i uploaded european version)

Fixed.
-----
» Multiple Pages: 12345
ClosedNew TopicNew Poll