The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - New review
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

New review

Posted at 19:10 on May 20th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Hi guys,

You probably won't notice it much, but I'm still a regular visitor of the site.
The flashbacks to days long gone, are a pleasure to receive when browsing through all the games on the page.
I truly admire all the work everybody here does that makes "The Good Old Days" the lovely site that it is.

I know Sierra games aren't that popular among all of us, but for me they left a great impression in the early days. To be honest, Lucasarts games are better on all fronts concerning Adventure games and there are so many other games that deserve the proper attention, that I'm not showing here. Yet Sierra remains to have a soft spot in my heart and I suppose it's easier to write about the things you love the most. Therefor my contribution in the form of another Sierra review.

Sorry for that, hopefully you can forgive my undying love for Sierra.
And thank you for all the good stuff!

BM
-----
Edited by beranmuden at 19:11 on May 20th, 2018
Posted at 20:11 on May 20th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
No worries, you can review as many Sierra games as you like! I really hope you just wanted to vent and not to go on a weird guilt trip, because that's absolutely uncalled-for ;) We care not about the titles or sequels per se, but rather quality and quantity. So whatever it is, feel free to abuse any company or series you like:)

I'm also a big fan of Sierra games, and personally I think they by and large surpass those of Lucas Arts with both quality and quantity. I mean, parser + fully interactive world alone which Sierra pioneered in is sheer priceless and is by no means a limitation in my opinion, but rather an option. Likewise, point'n'click is not an advantage, only a matter or preference which has its own deficiencies. And as far as Lucas Arts, it didn't have any parser games, which, I reckon, is a bitter loss. It also never had Adventure & RPG hybrids like Quest for Glory. And from all the great Lucas Arts titles I can only name Loom, Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island series. The rest is, frankly, just so-so. And all that is crushed mercilessly by a myriad of Sierra titles, most of which are at least in no wise inferior to the above three. I'm afraid, Lucas Arts was always a poor contender to Sierra and there was hardly a question of any serious clash whatsoever.
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
Posted at 20:20 on May 20th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Definitely venting and just showing my overall appreciation to all the contributors.
Also, some well brought up arguments on the Sierra vs Lucasarts discussion there.
Maybe I'm fighting for the good side here after all ;)
Posted at 20:20 on May 20th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I do certainly appreciate somebody else reviewing games like those. Otherwise, I may feel pressured to do it myself, but clearly that would please neither me nor the fans ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 10:24 on May 21st, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Oooh... for those interested, I just stumbled on this:

http://www.flabber.nl/artikel/docuzondag-350-the-secret-of-monkey-island-54240

It's an in-depth documentary about the rise of adventure games.
The site is Dutch, but the narrative is English.
Posted at 15:45 on May 21st, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by beranmuden at 10:24 on May 21st, 2018:
Oooh... for those interested, I just stumbled on this:

http://www.flabber.nl/artikel/docuzondag-350-the-secret-of-monkey-island-54240

It's an in-depth documentary about the rise of adventure games.
The site is Dutch, but the narrative is English.

That's interesting. Spreek je nederlands trouwens? Ik dacht dat je toch amerikaan bent :)

Anyway, sorry for the delay. It took a little longer to publish your review this time because I had to re-capture new screenshots. Unfortunately, yours were not very fitting due to both size and format.

By the way, I only like the first game of the series, the rest never impressed me as much :) And I was totally ignorant of NEC PC-9801 port with anime-like sprites. So bizarre :)
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 17:45 on May 21st, 2018
Posted at 18:07 on May 21st, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Hehe, ik ben Nederlands...

Don't worry about the delay, totally my fault. Before reading this, I happened to send you a PM about it, because I couldn't get them firsthand myself.

You should look up some of the screenshots from the NEC PC, they're hilarious.

Groetjes,

BM.
Posted at 21:00 on May 21st, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Hehe, ik ben Nederlands...

Ken je perfectnarcosis? Hij komt ook uit Nederland, Amsterdam om precies te zijn;) Ik niet eigenlijk, gewoon kan ik een beetje nl :)

Quote:
You should look up some of the screenshots from the NEC PC, they're hilarious.

I've already watched some of it on youtube. All characters are slightly remodelled with those humongous haircuts ;)
-----
-----
Edited by Moebius at 21:00 on May 21st, 2018
Posted at 17:51 on May 23rd, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Yay, my avatar works!

Sorry, the avatar list apparently is semi-alphabetic, so I looked over it.
Thanks for the help though!

Oh, and Moebius, you forgot LucasArts games like, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Dig. And one of my favourites, Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders. They're all of pretty good quality...

But of course I'm preaching the wrong gospel here.
Sierra is our one and only true savior.
-----
Edited by beranmuden at 17:56 on May 23rd, 2018
Posted at 03:34 on May 24th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Congrats on the avatar! :)

Quote:
Oh, and Moebius, you forgot LucasArts games like, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, The Dig. And one of my favourites, Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mindbenders. They're all of pretty good quality...

Oh, I know about those, but somehow few people would mention them ;) Well, perhaps, Zak McKracken and Maniac Mansion a little more often, true, but the rest not too much. I personally never got around to playing Full Throttle and The Dig just because the settings alone didn't allure me enough :)
-----
Posted at 05:17 on May 24th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Funny. Apart from Grim Fandango, I would say those are the weakest LucasArts adventures.
-----
Posted at 17:06 on May 24th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
"Haha" funny, or "weird" funny?

The only thing that stood out in Grim Fandango for me, was the poetry reading part.
Oh well, you can't argue about taste... But that won't keep us from trying!
Posted at 17:17 on May 24th, 2018 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
"Surprising" funny.

It may make sense, though. Those are some of the least typical LucasArts adventures. If you don't find their usual style all that great, those ones may be preferable.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:18 on May 24th, 2018
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll