The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Combined view?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 12

Combined view?

Vote:
Combined only
Both combined and by system
By system only
Posted at 10:34 on December 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Of course, go on renaming... ;) I will make a backup after you're finished so I have them on my hd with the same name.
Posted at 11:50 on December 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Project postponed.

This was the first time for many months I actually had a look at the site's source code as a whole again, and quite frankly, it is a terrible mess. It was my first bigger project in PHP, and so I used some solutions which I now know are very fussy. Later changes (for example of the download script) are now using workarounds instead of actual solutions. There is obsolete information floating around in the database due to some changes.

Uploading to some directories containing screenshots is not possible using a Modem anymore, because there are so many files in those directories that even only getting the file list takes several minutes.

The worst thing is the lack of a unified system, though. It's basically programmed as if it were several sites, even though these 'sites' all deal with games. That is why there is different information depending on the system a game was added for, and sometimes, the same information is just called by different names. I don't want to get too technical here, that is why this rant might be a little hard to understand.

Just one example: To add a new system to the site (outside the Hall of Fame), I'd have to program everything for it from the scratch each time. If I want to add new features, I have to program them individually for each section. That is for example why the 'game comparisons' are still only available for Amiga games.

That is why I've decided to rewrite the whole site from the scratch. The way it is at the moment, it could continue to run, but it's not expandable anymore (at least not with even more workarounds and a lot of effort). I guess with nearly 300 games and more than 50 apps, we've just outgrown the code base.
This will take some time, of course, but it will be worth it. Not so much for the visitors, as everything will look exactly as it does now when I'm finished (just with the addition of 'combined view' which I'll include immediately), but mainly for me and the other webmasters.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
» Multiple Pages: 12
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll