The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - IPF File Extraction
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

IPF File Extraction

Posted at 11:08 on May 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
I'm very inexperienced when it comes to Amiga and its associated formats. I am able to access ADF and IPF files through the HxC Floppy Disk Emulator and can extract their contents, but on Windows 10 at least, the timestamps are all changed to reflect the time of extraction.

Given IPF is the Software Preservation Society standard, are there any ways of extracting from them on Windows while retaining the original file properties?

The only time I was able to do this before with Amiga was with the ADF shell extension, which allowed ADF files to be opened like folders. Unfortunately, that extension does not seem to be compatible on 10.

Any suggestions for IPF/ADF compatible software would be welcome.
Posted at 19:17 on May 25th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
A method that would work (but is perhaps somewhat cumbersome) is to mount the IPF file in an emulated Amiga (e.g. WinUAE, though I think you'll still manually need to download and add the IPF Windows DLL from http://www.softpres.org/?id=download) with a Windows folder mounted as a (virtual) harddrive (mountedvol: in the example below) and then doing

Code:
copy fd0:#? mountedvol: dates

This will make the file accessible in the windows folder with the original timestamps. I'm not aware of any other tool except for the HxC Floppy Disk Emulator which you've mentioned which can read the image files directly on PC.

But why do you want to copy files from an IPF image with timestamps intact in the first place ?
Posted at 09:15 on May 28th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
It's nitpicky, I know, but I like seeing the original dates in the file folders if possible. I only extract files for games compatible with the likes of ScummVM. Obviously they run just fine even if the stamps are modified, I was just curious if there were any means of doing so. Thanks for your info.
Posted at 18:15 on May 28th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Now that's a truly hardcore retro spirit! Respect! :-)
Posted at 11:07 on September 3rd, 2022 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
It's not nitpicky and unfortunately date of creation and last modification are vital information that most tools forget to preserve, e.g. FTP clients.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll