The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows

Posted at 18:01 on October 31st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Hi!

Just wanted to remind you that Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows still appears in your Want List in the Help Us section, so it would probably be wise to remove it from there before someone accidentaly goes through the trouble of obtaining, reviewing and screenshotting the game for you ;)

Take care!
Posted at 02:24 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, that entry is correct as it is. Before, it said 'Murder Makes Strange Deadfellows (any version)'. That 'any version' part has been changed to 'CDTV' as I'm indeed still looking for that CDTV version. Just like with a few others which are on the site in one version, but still wanted for another system :)

Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:16 on November, 01st 2004
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 05:54 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Yeah, I missed that little detail :P

Would you be so kind as to explain what the "CDTV version" is exactly? :doubt:
Posted at 06:05 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Oh, and anoter little bug in your forum. I get notified when I reply to my own posts... ;)
Posted at 06:33 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
CDTV is a video game system by Commodore from the early 90s (or late 80s?).
Posted at 09:15 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
For some information on the CDTV, see here: http://www.amiga-hardware.com/cdtv.html. I'm actually surprised someone of your age hasn't heard of it before...

As for the 'forum bug', it isn't one - it's a feature ;) Seriously: It was just programmed in a very crude way; it just sends out notifications after every reply, no matter by whom, and no matter whether you already have been notified before, but didn't check back yet. Just like you can't unsubscribe from being notified :P

If you read the latest announcement, you'll see that this is the final version of this board script using this codebase. I started working on a rewrite some months ago, but then lost interest again. Probably some day...

To make the long story short: Bad luck, that's the way it is now ;)
-----
Posted at 11:08 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
That's one mean looking Commodore :o

The only one I ever had was a C64! Couldn't afford, let alone have access to such monsters in ex-yugoslavia :P I actually smuggled my C64 over the border from Germany ;) Anyways, looks cool, thanks for the info.

As for the board "feature", doesn't seem like something an SQL query and an IF statement couldn't solve. ;) But if you're rewriting it entirely, I guess its kind of pointless to modify the existing one.
Posted at 11:28 on November 1st, 2004 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, it's too bad that almost no software was made for the CDTV, because it was revolutionary in some ways.

Quote:
if you're rewriting it entirely, I guess its kind of pointless to modify the existing one.
That's exactly the point: I could continue working on this script forever, adding stuff to it and all, but that would rule a completely new version out as I can't maintain two of such huge scripts. You are of course right that a 'fix' for the e-mail function would be trivial, but it'd still violate my own choice not to expand this script anymore. The reason why this function is nothing more than a stub uis just that nobody has ever requested it to be done better - I don't think anybody has ever mentioned using it, even.

Anyway, if the mails get too annoying, let me know, and I'll remove you from this topic's subscription list manually.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:19 on November, 01st 2004
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll