The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Sherlock Holmes
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Sherlock Holmes

Posted at 23:44 on January 2nd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Hello,
When I try to download Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective Vol. 2 or 3 (I didn't try 1) nothing happens. "the page cannot be displayed" appears. I don't have a problem with my firewall and other games work. But this is the game I need :) Does anybody knows the problem?
Posted at 02:08 on January 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
When I try to download exactly those games, I get a very clear warning:
Quote:
Since the file you're requesting for download is very big, it is stored off-site. This server only allows one connection per user (so no 'download accelerators') and four downloads at the same time on the whole. Whining about that, the speed or about being cut off in the middle of the download will not help. It can also be offline from time to time. Any complaining and bitching about this will only result in the decision to offer these files at all being rethought.

So I guess you should just be patient.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 03:44 on January 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
The error message you get is kind of strange, though. If all connection slots are taken, it should say so instead of the general "cannot be displayed". Try again on different times of the day, but if it does not work, my guess is that you do have a problem with your client software or firewall.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 04:33 on January 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Ohhh!! It's so devistating. I'm so close to this game but it is not working. I don't understand the problem. Thank you very much though for helping.
and about the firewall, I am using zone alarm and even after I shut it down, I still can't download it and the same page pops up... :(

what am I doing wrong?
Posted at 11:19 on January 3rd, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First of all, I've checked and the connections to the server haven't been maxed out all day. There have always been free slots, so that can't be the reason. Without further information about your system, there's little I can do, so I'll just list a few general ideas which could cause something like that:

-Some other filtering program running, unknown to you. If you're using Windows XP using the latest patches, the regularly included firewall which is enabled by default could be the culprit. It could also be something else in your LAN, in case you have one. A router?

-The program you're using to connect is acting up. Try another one, preferably one with better FTP capabilities than a webbrowser.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll